Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-23-2005   #1
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Nfl.com: Texas Pro Day results

Quote:
Benson was 5-10 3/8 and 225 pounds. He had a long jump of 9-foot-8 and a 33-inch vertical jump. He lifted the strength bar 18 times. In the 40, he was timed as low as 4.51 and as high as 4.59. That's impressive; not even Emmitt Smith, the NFL's all-time leading rusher, ran that fast when he was coming out of school.

Johnson was 6-3 and 243 pounds. He passed on lifting at the combine, but here lifted the strength bar 21 times.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8320128
Hopefully this will crowd the top ten with RBs and push talent we want closer to 13.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I've seen him compared to Emmitt Smith in places on the net. At first I didn't see it but I see why after watching him more. Personally, I think he has a style like Stephen Davis (but in an obviously smaller body), and moves like Edge James (but not as fast as him). I'd love to see him fall to 13.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #3
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually think I'd be excited to have him on the team, too. I've just been hoping that somehow DJ or Merriman fall to the Texans.

So does this change how any of you guys rank the RBs?
Old 03-23-2005   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Not me, I have him pretty high myself. Not everyone is sold on him though. 610am had a teaser a moment ago and said the news was "bad" for him off of this workout. They are about to have Lance's report in a moment.

Old 03-23-2005   #5
Dunta_23
All Pro

I bet on most boards he is now the # 2 and on some boards he jumped to #1, The argument comes back that if Ronnie Brown wasnt the sure fire #1 RB on his TEAM, how can he be the sure fire #1 in the draft class.....I rank them like this

1. Ronnie Brown/Cedric Benson
2. Cadillac Williams
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #6
MojoX
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
610am had a teaser a moment ago and said the news was "bad" for him off of this workout. They are about to have Lance's report in a moment.
Post the news, will ya'. I'm not in Houston.
Old 03-23-2005   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

[Disclaimer--Not saying anything specifically about Benson as a RB or his draft prospects.]

This looks a little like prospect hype just in the drafting of the report--4.51-4.59 at a pro-day not the combine is now reason for rejoicing. DD got slammed for a 4.62 at the combine. Didn't Casserly just say he adds .1 to pro-day results? This has nothing to do with DD or Benson, just the observation that the exact same measureables will get described differently for top prospects and lower prospects/players. On the same draft sites you will see a 210 lb top RB prospect described as having good size and then a latter round prospect who is 220 lbs as undersized. Just seems like they change their terminology to match their rankings rather than just saying they measure the same but player A is just better at the unmeasurables like vision, etc.
Old 03-23-2005   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Lance is saying that he ran mid 4.6's but his information was from emails and text messages. It will be interesting to see who's time is accurate.

Old 03-23-2005   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Ronnie Brown, Auburn 6002 233 4.44 18
2. Cadillac Williams Auburn 5107 217 4.45 19
3. Cedric Benson, Texas 5104 225 4.65 18

not sure who's time to believe but mid 4.6's seems accurate for Benson

Last edited by beerlover; 03-23-2005 at 02:49 PM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Benson running 4.6's shouldn't surprise anyone. His only real knock is his straight line speed. Interesting to note that Chris Palmer was there in person.

Old 03-23-2005   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If I'm not mistaken UTs proday is done on grass .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Yeah, here is the entire quote from Gil...

Quote:
TEXAS: MARCH 23
In total, 75 scouts and coaches from 27 teams were in attendance, including Texans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer and Cardinals offensive boss Keith Rowen. Head coaches Dennis Green and Nick Saban were not there because of the NFL's annual meeting in Hawaii, but I know for a fact they wanted to be front and center.

The players ran indoors on what can only be described as "soft FieldTurf," which makes for a slow track compared to what they ran on in Indy.
Player Position

Gil's comments

Cedric Benson RB Benson was 5-10 3/8 and 225 pounds. He had a long jump of 9-foot-8 and a 33-inch vertical jump. He lifted the strength bar 18 times. In the 40, he was timed as low as 4.51 and as high as 4.59. That's impressive; not even Emmitt Smith, the NFL's all-time leading rusher, ran that fast when he was coming out of school.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8320128

Old 03-23-2005   #13
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Ths doesn't change anything...Benson is still the 3rd ranked RB IMO...That said, I think he is the #1 RB for our scheme...I would love to see him fall to 13...
Old 03-23-2005   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

if Benson becomes a Texan I hope they consider bringing in his FB Will Matthews
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #15
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

The weight lifting was done in the weight room (duh). They did the running drills under the bubble. "Apparently" it registers as a slower track than the indoor track in the weight room.

But the mid-4.5s is about right for Benson.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #16
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am a bit confused. I thought Benson only ran at his proday, but Gill is reporting 4.5s and others are reporting 4.6s. Which is it? 4.5s for a back his size isn't too bad, but 4.6s are slow and will affect his draft point IMO.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #17
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I was listening to 610 today and they were saying that Brandt pumps up certain players and makes their workout numbers better than they really were...Supposedly only one scout at the workout clocked Benson under 4.6...
Old 03-23-2005   #18
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

a tenth of a second makes a back go from not too bad to too slow???

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #19
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
if Benson becomes a Texan I hope they consider bringing in his FB Will Matthews
As much as I like Will, he doesn't want to be an NFL player...he even refused to talk to the scouts at the LVAAC all star game in february
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
a tenth of a second makes a back go from not too bad to too slow???
Just as a point of order--evidently so. DD ran a 4.62 at the combine which was considered disappointing and resulted in the Texans taking him in the 4th. Other talents aside, we have all seen the complaints about not having the speed to take it to the house--yes people will complain about speed regardless of the effectiveness of the RB and yes it can affect their draft position.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read