Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-28-2010   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80316 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Haywood Jeffires

I forgot to mention that I met Haywood Jeffires at the game on Sunday. He was just standing there in the Blue Lot probably waiting on someone. I recognized him and had to approach him. He was pretty cool and seemed cool about having a fan come up and talk to him. I remember yelling out "Haywood!" plenty on Sundays, normally after a clutch grab, however at times after a drop. He was probably my favorite WR during the R&S era.

I asked him if he was on board with the Texans and he was real honest with me. He basically said something along the lines that after the Oilers left it wasn't the same for him. It's nice though to see him still supporting the community. He is coaching a semi pro team somewhere in the Houston area.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Haywood Jeffires

Freakwood! I've always liked Jeffires and got to meet him at an All Access years ago.
Old 09-29-2010   #3
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I forgot to mention that I met Haywood Jeffires at the game on Sunday. He was just standing there in the Blue Lot probably waiting on someone. I recognized him and had to approach him. He was pretty cool and seemed cool about having a fan come up and talk to him. I remember yelling out "Haywood!" plenty on Sundays, normally after a clutch grab, however at times after a drop. He was probably my favorite WR during the R&S era.

I asked him if he was on board with the Texans and he was real honest with me. He basically said something along the lines that after the Oilers left it wasn't the same for him. It's nice though to see him still supporting the community. He is coaching a semi pro team somewhere in the Houston area.

he was coaching that women's team for a minute. I always liked him.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he makes it out to a lot of Texans games. In any event, I always enjoyed watching him play. Anyone remember him running into the camera guy in Cleveland?
Old 09-29-2010   #5
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure any old Oilers are really on board with the Texans. At least none of the big names. Earl Campbell was wearing a generic t-shirt to last weekend's game that just said "Football" on it.

The Texans haven't done much to connect with them. I don't think the "Homecoming game" gesture means much to them or the fans.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #6
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I'm not sure any old Oilers are really on board with the Texans. At least none of the big names. Earl Campbell was wearing a generic t-shirt to last weekend's game that just said "Football" on it.

The Texans haven't done much to connect with them. I don't think the "Homecoming game" gesture means much to them or the fans.
I thought they had a number of ex-Oilers that are Texans Ambassadors?
Old 09-29-2010   #7
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I thought they had a number of ex-Oilers that are Texans Ambassadors?
Yeah and I'm pretty sure Haywood was one of them. Shows what that title really means to the ex-players.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-29-2010   #8
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 56069 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, him and Givens were the $hit back in the day.....accept that one game in the 2nd half......you know which one I mean and I'll stop there.

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Personally, I think the Texans should just retire the number 34 out of respect to fans, Earl, and this city's football history. That gesture alone would mean a lot to everyone.

Plus, I doubt anyone can ever fill the shoes of the big three of 34's: Earl, Nolan, Hakeem. It's a special number in this town.
Old 09-29-2010   #10
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Personally, I think the Texans should just retire the number 34 out of respect to fans, Earl, and this city's football history. That gesture alone would mean a lot to everyone.

Plus, I doubt anyone can ever fill the shoes of the big three of 34's: Earl, Nolan, Hakeem. It's a special number in this town.
I see your point, but I think the Texans' organization will have their own special '34' player one day. Earl is revered in the city, but not where the Texans should retire the #34. That "34" belongs to that other team out in Deliverance Land so they can do what they want with it. But the man himself yes he's definitely loved in Houston and we definitely appreciate the memories he gave us with his play.
Old 09-29-2010   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I've suggested the same thing. No one should ever be allowed to wear the # 34 in this city again!

Sorry Barber!!
Old 09-29-2010   #12
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Givens>Jeffires>Hill>Duncan
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyFresh View Post
I see your point, but I think the Texans' organization will have their own special '34' player one day. Earl is revered in the city, but not where the Texans should retire the #34. That "34" belongs to that other team out in Deliverance Land so they can do what they want with it. But the man himself yes he's definitely loved in Houston and we definitely appreciate the memories he gave us with his play.
That's exactly why the franchise should do it, for the fans and our history. It's a giant middle finger to Buck Fud, and the killer part is that Earl would actually show up for this retirement ceremony.

Seattle retired the number 12 for their fans (i.e. "the 12th man"). I think it would be special to do it, perhaps after we retire the number 80 (which should probably be our first retired number, all things considered).
Old 09-29-2010   #14
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80316 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's exactly why the franchise should do it, for the fans and our history. It's a giant middle finger to Buck Fud, and the killer part is that Earl would actually show up for this retirement ceremony.

Seattle retired the number 12 for their fans (i.e. "the 12th man"). I think it would be special to do it, perhaps after we retire the number 80 (which should probably be our first retired number, all things considered).
Did the Ravens retire 19 for Johnny U? They have the statue.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post
Givens>Jeffires>Hill>Duncan
Some could argue a different order.

I liked Ernest, but not one season did he lead the Oilers in recieving.
Jeffires only led the team two seasons while Hill lead the most of the that period. Curtis Duncan lead the team once which is still more than Givens.

It really came down to personal favorites, really.. I kinda dug Curtis Duncan. It seemed to come up with a big catch when needed... But then again they all did. LOL!
Old 09-29-2010   #16
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Some could argue a different order.

I liked Ernest, but not one season did he lead the Oilers in recieving.
Jeffires only led the team two seasons while Hill lead the most of the that period. Curtis Duncan lead the team once which is still more than Givens.

It really came down to personal favorites, really.. I kinda dug Curtis Duncan. It seemed to come up with a big catch when needed... But then again they all did. LOL!
I think they all filled a certain role better than the others. Givens was great over the middle, Jeffires was great on the fly.
Old 09-29-2010   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Mr. White;1535658]I'm not sure any old Oilers are really on board with the Texans. At least none of the big names. Earl Campbell was wearing a generic t-shirt to last weekend's game that just said "Football" on it.

The Texans haven't done much to connect with them. I don't think the "Homecoming game" gesture means much to them or the fans.[/QUOTE

In an interview on 610 radio, Earl was asked with which team he now identified since the Oilers have left Houston........The Titans or the Texans. After a very obvious thoughtful pause, he said, "The Texans."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #18
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post

He owns the Pearland Gamblers. I played for them for a little bit. It was fun.

And Haywood is cool. All around good guy.

Here is the website for the Gamblers http://www.gamblersfootball.net/inde...ts-sign-up-now

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

[quote=CloakNNNdagger;1536247]
Quote:

The Texans haven't done much to connect with them. I don't think the "Homecoming game" gesture means much to them or the fans.[/QUOTE

In an interview on 610 radio, Earl was asked with which team he now identified since the Oilers have left Houston........The Titans or the Texans. After a very obvious thoughtful pause, he said, "The Texans."
Yes, I remember and support this!! He also said in this or another interview, that he was a HOUSTON Oiler.
Old 09-29-2010   #20
THE NFL
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyFresh View Post

NO ONE should ever wear the #34 for a pro team in this city ever again. I dont care what team they played for thats part of Houston history.

Just for the sake of accuracy, Deliverance was filmed in Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina.
THE NFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read