Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-12-2004   #41
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Default bryant will come cheap

he was a mid second rounder in 2002. he wont go for higher, he hasn't played well enough to garner a starting spot in the cowboys recieving corps, and with a well publicized battle with parcells, his value has never been lower. buy low sell high....

He has a serious oppurtunity to come in and compete for the 2nd starting WR job, or at least to put a fire under Gaffney who has yet to have any real competition in his pro career. Bryant can flat out play when he wants to, his immaturity stemmed from his desire to play football, he didn't put someones eye out with a whip cream pie (Aarington), punch out a patron at a bar,(EJ Henderson) or any other off the field issues. I say he is worth the risk... our offense can really flourish with him, and Joppru debuting for our team.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004   #42
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
I dont think you throw stuff at Parcell and gets to play on his team.

Ill trade a the #3 pick from Henson back to the Boys if we get Braynt.
I don't know what the outcome of the altercation will be and will be comfortable either way because of the trust I have in Parcells judgement. If he is traded, I don't expect a team will be able to pick him up in a $1 store deal.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004   #43
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Would you trade Bradford for Bryant? How about Bradford/Wells for Bryant? In my opinion, Bradford drops too many drive killing 3rd down passes. That's why Gaffney beat him out for the #2 WR position. Maybe Dallas would think that Bradford's veteran presence & Wells potential would be worth the trade. It's worth a shot.

I believe that Bryant would be our #2 WR & Gaffney would make a great slot receiver. AJ, Bryant, Gaffney, & whatever TE emerges would make for an enviable starting receiving lineup. Throw in DD, a fully recovered Hollings, & a much improved OL, & this offense could be the envy of the league. Or, at least in the upper echelon of teams.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm ready for some real football.
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004   #44
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I just got done poking around on the net, and from what I read everywhere, Bryant is not going anywhere, he is just laying low for a few days to let tempers cool down....
Nope...
This in from profootballtalk and Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

"Others think that Bryant's days in Dallas indeed are numbered. We reported on Thursday that the Cowboys are receiving trade inquiries, and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram confirms that the team is indeed fielding trade offers for the third-year receiver."
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004   #45
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie
Would you trade Bradford for Bryant? How about Bradford/Wells for Bryant? In my opinion, Bradford drops too many drive killing 3rd down passes. That's why Gaffney beat him out for the #2 WR position. Maybe Dallas would think that Bradford's veteran presence & Wells potential would be worth the trade. It's worth a shot.
The question is not what we will do, but what the Cowboys would do. If dont want Bradford because of drops, why would the Boys? Veteran presence? They have Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson to do that. And why would they want Wells for upside? They just drafted Julius Jones to be the featured back. If is was a player/player trade, I would think that the Cowboys would want Gaff over Bradford, and I dont want to give up Gaff.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004   #46
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

More from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

A source confirmed the Cowboys have been fielding offers from teams interested in trading for Bryant. And while Schaffer said neither Parcells nor Cowboys owner Jerry Jones mentioned trading or releasing Bryant during talks Wednesday, Schaffer admits he has not spoken with them since and further talks about Bryant's future have not been scheduled.

Schaffer also denied published reports that Jones had assured him Bryant would be back with the Cowboys.

"I couldn't tell you how it will play out," Schaffer said. "If they want to trade him, they can. If they want to release him, they can. We are not going to ask for those things, but we have no control over that if they do."

The Cowboys are certainly in better position to handle life without Bryant than they were 24 hours ago.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004   #47
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought the Texans wanted to stay away from "problem" players.

I don't have any doubts that if Coach Parcells considers him a problem to the betterment of the team he's gone.

My only question is why would the Texans want the headache?

He couldn't even crack their starting lineup.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-12-2004   #48
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
The question is not what we will do, but what the Cowboys would do.
I agree that it's up to the Cowboys as to what they'll accept. The question was more a matter of would the Texans be willing to swap Bradford for Bryant, in spite of his alleged bad attitude?

Quote:
If dont want Bradford because of drops, why would the Boys? Veteran presence? They have Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson to do that.
Bradford also catches a lot of balls. He has great speed to stretch the field, he makes the acrobatic catches, & he's a threat to break it for a TD every time he catches the ball (Wait a minute! Why would I want to trade him then? Oh yea, he drops a lot of drive killing 3rd down passes). Yes, they've got Glenn, but the reports I'm hearing are that Keyshawn hasn't shown a lot yet. I'm sure things will change when they report to training camp, but maybe Parcells would want to add some insurance, just in case. Or, maybe nothing will happen. In any event, I suspect that Dallas is going to want more than just a 3rd round draft pick.

Quote:
And why would they want Wells for upside? They just drafted Julius Jones to be the featured back. If is was a player/player trade, I would think that the Cowboys would want Gaff over Bradford, and I dont want to give up Gaff.
Jones has never taken a snap in a real NFL game. There's no guarantee that he'll even be able to compete on the NFL level. Wells needs some work on his techniques, but he has the potential. He's also got the size to play FB. Maybe, Dallas would be looking to groom him to take over for the aging Richie Anderson.

Shoot, I have no idea what's going to happen. However, if we can get Bryant, & he gets his attitude right, that would mean we can use our #1 pick next year on some youth for our DL, or another CB to eventually replace Glenn.
Old 06-12-2004   #49
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Bradford also catches a lot of balls. He has great speed to stretch the field, he makes the acrobatic catches, & he's a threat to break it for a TD every time he catches the ball (Wait a minute! Why would I want to trade him then? Oh yea, he drops a lot of drive killing 3rd down passes).
Bradford and Gaff only dropped one pass each last year (someone put that stat in another thread), so I dont see how he drops a lot of 3rd down passes. He is a great homerun threat and thats why I would hate to let him go.
Quote:
Jones has never taken a snap in a real NFL game. There's no guarantee that he'll even be able to compete on the NFL level. Wells needs some work on his techniques, but he has the potential. He's also got the size to play FB. Maybe, Dallas would be looking to groom him to take over for the aging Richie Anderson.
Wells average 2.9 yards per carry his rookie year, now I know that is behind a pitiful line, but that is horrible and that also means that he is unproven. Wells doesnt see the hole well, dancing too much for a guy his size, and never seems to fall forward. And Wells may have the size to play FB, but doesnt have the physical mentality.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 06-12-2004   #50
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Bradford and Gaff only dropped one pass each last year (someone put that stat in another thread), so I dont see how he drops a lot of 3rd down passes. He is a great homerun threat and thats why I would hate to let him go.
I'm not talking about Gaffney. Gaff did a great job. I'm talking about Bradford. I don't know where they're getting their stats, but I saw Bradford drop several key passes that were right in his hands & some that were within his reach. Why else would the coaches put a slower guy (Gaffney) ahead of him on the depth charts?

Quote:
Wells average 2.9 yards per carry his rookie year, now I know that is behind a pitiful line, but that is horrible and that also means that he is unproven. Wells doesnt see the hole well, dancing too much for a guy his size, and never seems to fall forward. And Wells may have the size to play FB, but doesnt have the physical mentality.
I agree with most of what you say about Wells, but (as you said) he played behind one of the worst lines in the history of the NFL. Yes, he is unproven, but that's why I said, maybe, they'd be interested in him for his potential. After all, it's not exactly like Dallas has a stable full of quality RB's. I think Wells could be a more than servicable RB behind a solid OL.
Old 06-12-2004   #51
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not talking about Gaffney. Gaff did a great job. I'm talking about Bradford. I don't know where they're getting their stats, but I saw Bradford drop several key passes that were right in his hands & some that were within his reach. Why else would the coaches put a slower guy (Gaffney) ahead of him on the depth charts?
infantrycak pulled up the dropping stat
Here it is:
http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...1&postcount=17

And remember that speed isnt everything, remember these two words when you think of speed being the most important thing to a WR: Anquan Boldin

Quote:
I agree with most of what you say about Wells, but (as you said) he played behind one of the worst lines in the history of the NFL. Yes, he is unproven, but that's why I said, maybe, they'd be interested in him for his potential. After all, it's not exactly like Dallas has a stable full of quality RB's. I think Wells could be a more than servicable RB behind a solid OL.
The reason I think they wouldnt want him is because Wells is unproven and no one knows if he is a quaility back. Wells may have potential but they need a vetaran back, not a guy with upside. Their guy with upside is Julius Jones, they need a vet that can get yards especially since it will be a failure if they miss the playoffs this year.

Old 06-13-2004   #52
Texansbacker
Veteran

Bradford and Gaffney are both very talented wide receivers and both have been exposed on occasion and made human errors. Perhaps this year they will put it all together.

Bryant has shown to be a very talented wide reciever also and he has also exposed human weakness by his losing his temper at the coach. Surely, Keyshawn Johnson was instrumental in getting the youngster to lose his cool.

So nobody is perfect. One year a receiver may do great, the next not so great. Look at the Cowboys signing of WR Dederic Ward. That guy has been all over the place but he has put up some decent stats once or twice and played with the Super Bowl Champions last year.

Bryant would be a good additon if for nothing else then to push our existing group of receivers and I don't think he would be that big of distraction or have enough pull in the locker room to upset the chemistry. After all, he just may regret acting out on his frustrations and is looking to make good.

Then again, I think we may have the talent to do the job on the current Texans roster, when given the opportunity. This year is the first year that teams will have to look at our greatly improved offensive line (on paper) and a running game powered by DD! These improvements should help open the passing game and open the door of opportunity for Bradford, Gaffney, Derrick Armstrong, Sloan Thomas to shine.
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004   #53
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Stacey Mack is availible. I think they would opt toward him over Wells.
Old 06-13-2004   #54
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

"Surely Keyshawn Johnson was instrumental in getting the youngster to lose his cool".

Where do you get that from?

Actually Bryant has been a headcase since college days. He's always had the attitude.

Which begs me to wonder for maybe the 4th post WHY the Texans would even entertain the possibility of obtaining him. The mantra here is to stay away from those type of disruptive players.
Old 06-13-2004   #55
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9
Default Bryant a headcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
"Surely Keyshawn Johnson was instrumental in getting the youngster to lose his cool".

Actually Bryant has been a headcase since college days. He's always had the attitude.

Which begs me to wonder for maybe the 4th post WHY the Texans would even entertain the possibility of obtaining him. The mantra here is to stay away from those type of disruptive players.
I'm a little confused here...Are you trying to say that Keyshawn Johnson isn't a headcase?

Why do you think the Buc's inactivated Keyshawn? It was because of him being a disruptive influence to the team. And you honestly believe that Keyshawn didn't have anything to do with Bryant losing control?

Well, stranger things have happened...I think.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004   #56
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9
And you honestly believe that Keyshawn didn't have anything to do with Bryant losing control?

Well, stranger things have happened...I think.
Bryant lost control because Bryant chose to do so, not the devil, Keyshawn, nor Parcells.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004   #57
WWJD
Hall of Fame

No I know all about Keyshawn and the Bucs.

And for the record I thought Keyshawn blew it big time in Tampa. I don't approve of what he did there and I would have done the same thing that Coach Gruden did.

Was he corrected or disclipined for starting the fight? I haven't read that so it seems unfair to just throw out that he was "instrumental" in provoking Bryant.
Old 06-13-2004   #58
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

'Player for player trades in the NFL are rare, if anything happens it will most likely involve a draft pick like most trades in this league.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004   #59
Texansbacker
Veteran

Perhaps Keyshawn was not guilty of starting the fight only being a party of the altercation but the fact remains he was part of it.

A quote from the Star-Telegram out of Fort Worth, "Bryant has become frustrated with his role as the team's third receiver. His feelings boiled over in practice, with Bryant initially getting into separate arguments with Keyshawn Johnson" posted in the paper on the 9th of June.

Who is to blame? Who is responsible for the explosion when you put gasoline and fire together? The explosion is Keyshawn Johnson's mouth and the Bucs will verify that for you. It certainly will not be his Keyshawn's production on the field (my bet) this year, which is why the Cowboys will try and retain Bryant even after he disrespected the coach.

Give me an athlete and a character such as Andre Johnson any day.
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004   #60
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Alot of people talk of Bradfords drops, when I remember AJ dropping way more passes than him last year, maybe he got more balls thrown his way but he still dropped more passes than Id like to count. Remember the Jets game? eek:

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read