Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-11-2004   #21
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Default why not

if we can get Bryant for a 4th round pick or later i say go for it, we proably wouldn't find a better reciever in next years draft, and with 2 years of experience he can come in and produce.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004   #22
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem with Bryant is with Bryant not Coach Parcells.

If he cannot handle him then I don't see him changing with Coach Capers.

The guy needs to learn that this is not acceptable behavior on any NFL team.

If he doesn't he'll just take his troubles from team to team.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004   #23
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
if we can get Bryant for a 4th round pick or later i say go for it, we proably wouldn't find a better reciever in next years draft, and with 2 years of experience he can come in and produce.

Heck i'd take Bryant for the Henson pick (what was it dallas' 3rd rounder?)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004   #24
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

what is funny is people talk about attitude problems. I don't know, I don't follow the cowboys in the offseason. What I see in Bryant is 1) yes, immature and 2) firey and competitive and have seen him mad when the Carter wouldn't see him open and makes a dumb throw.

some complain that our "leaders" are quiet and we need vocal leaders. unless my analysis of Bryant is wrong.. he might be what our offense needs.. Until he matures, i don't know about leader though
Old 06-11-2004   #25
Texansbacker
Veteran

Ya you don't become a leader by throwing a towel at the coach.

My thoughts, if the Coaches and Mr. Casserly think Bryant would be better than our current stable of receivers, including the guy playing in the World Bowl, a 6'4" Jermaine Lewi, then who am I to argue.

What interests me is how good do you think Bradford and Gaffney and even Derrick Armstrong and Andre Johnson of course, can be if Carr will deliver them the ball? I would like to see all of them step-up big.

I agree with most that the line is going to be greatly improved and hopefully dominating as it certainly appears so on paper. The move to the new blocking scheme along with adding a quality line coach in Joe Pendry should also help out.

The added Bulls in front of Carr should provide the extra confidence he needs to hang in the pocket and zip it to the open wide-out or tight-end.

Combine that with the running of Rookie of the Year Running Back Dominick Davis and you have a bonified barn burner offense.

Early 2nd round pick, and physically gifted, Antonio Bryant would probably not hurt.
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004   #26
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

if DC can keep Bryant's attitude in check i would do it. give the kid the opportunity to become our #2 receiver. that's his main gripe in dallas anyways. he just wants a chance to start. for a 3rd round pick it would be a pretty good deal. besides, some of you want us to draft a WR in next years draft anyways. he's got first round talent plus 2 years experience. AJ, Bryant and Gaffney would give us a nice young core of receivers for years to come.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004   #27
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansbacker
Ya you don't become a leader by throwing a towel at the coach.
I agree I am hoping it is just from immaturity
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2004   #28
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansbacker
My thoughts, if the Coaches and Mr. Casserly think Bryant would be better than our current stable of receivers, including the guy playing in the World Bowl, a 6'4" Jermaine Lewi, then who am I to argue.
When reading stuff like this "scoop" keep in mind that profootballtalk.com is a pure gossip site like the National Enquirer. Most of their content is garbage and make-believe. If the story busts at a legit news site then I will put more merit in it.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004   #29
Texansbacker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
I agree I am hoping it is just from immaturity
Probably so and I am sure Keyshawn Johnson yappin in his ear didn't get his blood boiling. Most would more than likely lose their cool too.

I am just really curious to see which receivers on the Texans roster are the real deal. Surely the coaches would know which player would be the best athlete, between our team and available talent, but then you have to factor in knowledge of the system and attitude.

And Vinny, I realize the National Enquirer sports clone puts out some crazy lies but some of the craziest of them turns out to be true, albeit a very very low percentage. Point well taken though.
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004   #30
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if this has any truth to it, but IMO, if we did make a trade for Bryant it would not be so bad in my opinion. If it is true, then that tells me that the coaches might think there is a problem with our #2 or #3 receiver, or something is going on with them...maybe all Bryant needs is to come to a team like ours to turn his attitude around...say this was true and we did make a trade for Bryant do you guys think he would be our #2 or #3 and who would get bumped down? I say if he can come here with a good attitude and produce good for us....as long as the price isn't too high...

Also you guys do know that the Cowboys signed Dedric Ward FA from the Pats today to a 1 year deal right?
Old 06-11-2004   #31
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

getting Bryant would pretty much mean the end of Bradford bumping him down to #4 behind Gaffney.
Old 06-11-2004   #32
clandestin
Veteran

Based on the value the Texans' have placed on character so far, I see this trade as a longshot.
clandestin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004   #33
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just got done poking around on the net, and from what I read everywhere, Bryant is not going anywhere, he is just laying low for a few days to let tempers cool down....
Old 06-11-2004   #34
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

doesnt sound to me like he's going anywhere this year...

Quote:
# Unless we are being misled, or badly misreading the tea leaves (the latter of those, of course, is always a possibility), Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Antonio Bryant isn't going anywhere. No release. No trade. No team suspension. No divorce. Cowboys coach Bill Parcells will deal with Bryant internally and the two will move on. Assuming, that is, that the petulant Bryant is prepared to use Tuesday's much-publicized practice incident as a difficult learning experience, to mature in a manner heretofore not demonstrated, and to emerge as the playmaker Cowboys coaches believe he can be. Only a week before the practice flare-up, Parcells was suggesting to some friends that he liked Bryant as a player and felt he could be a significant component to the offense in 2004. The consummate pragmatist, Parcells knows you need good players to win and, while Bryant is anything but a choir boy, he is a good player. Not as good as he thinks he is, but a good player, nonetheless. Then again, unless he grows up this year, Parcells could grow tired of his immaturity. But for now, Bryant's absence from Cowboys workouts on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday is indicative of a cooling-off period and not his pending departure from the roster. Go back to his college career at Pitt, where some of the coaches couldn't wait to be rid of him, and it's obvious Bryant is a prima donna. Me-first guys don't last long with Parcells, who prefers team-focused players willing to subjugate individuality for the good of the whole, but the bet here is that Bryant's tour in Dallas lasts at least through this season. If the Cowboys want to deal Bryant, they've got some suitors, as several teams indicated an interest over the last few days. But they really don't want to trade him and, with Bryant in Miami chilling out and Parcells deliberating over how to handle the situation, things are quiet for now.

# Here's one element of the Bryant brouhaha that didn't get much notice: Virtually every one of the early media accounts of the incident -- all of them secondhand, since the Dallas practice was closed to minicams and notebooks that day -- reported that Bryant had tossed his shirt and pads to the ground. Even the story on the Cowboys' official Web site used that terminology. A day later, in follow-up stories, the references to "pads" was gone. Why is that notable? Because league rules, and the collective bargaining agreement with the NFL Players Association, prohibit teams from wearing pads at mini-camps. The inference here isn't that Parcells and the Cowboys were flaunting the rules. Fact is, the Cowboys players we contacted said there were no pads involved. But you can bet that Dallas officials made it very clear to media members, following the initial reports, that there were no pads used at practice. Back in 1979, the Pittsburgh Steelers were forced to forfeit a third-round draft pick when a local beat reporter who is now a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com (hint: not me) discovered the club was wearing shoulder pads during a mini-camp. The incident, dubbed "Shouldergate," is still a sore spot with some longtime Steelers officials, even 25 years later. Draft picks are like gold to Parcells and to owner Jerry Jones, and they aren't about to risk losing one because of a mini-camp.
the article from espn.com can be found here
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004   #35
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

im saying if it were possible to trade for him in exchange for the 3rd round pick they owe us i would take a gamble and pick him up.
Old 06-11-2004   #36
texan279
Hall of Fame

For a 3rd round pick definitely....
Old 06-12-2004   #37
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
June 11, 2004, 4:43 p.m. (CDT)

IRVING, Texas -- The Cowboys have already taken the head coach, two assistants and the fullback from that New York Jets team of 1998. This year, they added the starting quarterback and the star wide receiver, too.

And now they're bringing in role players as well.

The Cowboys signed yet another of Parcells' former players Friday, adding veteran wide receiver Dedric Ward, who played his first four years with the Jets (1997-2000), before a two-year stint with the Dolphins and then finishing last year with the Super Bowl champion Patriots.

The Cowboys signed Ward to just a one-year deal, giving the seven-year veteran a $660,000 base salary. However, Ward's contract falls under the NFL's Minimum Salary Benefit program, meaning he will count only $455,000 on the Cowboys' salary cap this year. That rule was put into place three years ago to help veteran players stay in the league longer. The NFL Players Association picks up the remaining balance, in this case, being $205,000.

The move gives the Cowboys insurance at not only receiver, but in the return game, with Ward having returned more than 100 punts in his career.

And signing Ward also gives the team another insurance policy against any further developments with wide receiver Antonio Bryant, who was kicked out of an off-season practice on Tuesday following a heated confrontation with Parcells. Bryant has not attended the team's last two workouts - Friday's was called off by Parcells - and according to sources, has returned home to Miami. His absence from the workouts the past two days, though, signifies more of a cooling off period for both sides than Bryant continuing to defy authority.

But don't expect Ward to be any kind of replacement for Bryant, or a viable option as the Cowboys' third receiver, behind Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn.

At 5-9, 185 pounds, Ward is considered more of a slot receiver with good speed, expected to play in three- and four-receiver sets. Ward has only 166 career catches for 2,302 yards and 12 touchdowns during his seven-year career.

But he should be rather familiar with his new teammates and coaches, having played three years under Parcells with the Jets. Ward also reunites with offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon, a member of the Jets' coaching staff, and Cowboys' receiver coach Todd Haley, who held the same position in New York, coaching Ward for two years.

And Ward is yet another former Jets player from the late-90's era, which also includes Johnson, fullback Richie Anderson and quarterback Vinny Testaverde.

Ward's most effective season occurred in 2000, when he started all 16 games, catching a career-high 54 passes for 801 yards and three scores. He parlayed that into a free-agent contract with the Dolphins, although he caught just 40 passes in two years in Miami, failing to record a touchdown grab.

Last year, he signed with the Patriots in the off-season, but was released at the end of training camp, after he caught seven passes for 146 yards during New England's four exhibition games.

After sitting out a few weeks, Ward joined the Ravens, but was inactive for three games and eventually released. He then re-signed with New England on Nov. 20, and played the last four games of the regular season.

Ward was a contributor for the Pats, catching seven passes for 106 yards, including a 31-yard touchdown. He also played in both playoff games and the Super Bowl XXXVIII win over Carolina.

If Bryant remains with the team, which indications are starting to point in that direction, Ward wouldn't be one of the top three receivers, and would likely compete with the likes of Randal Williams, Zuriel Smith and Cedric James for the final receiver positions. The Cowboys also have rookies Patrick Crayton (seventh-round pick), and free agents Brandon Middleton, James Newson and Terrance Copper in the receiver competition.

Ward has been a regular return specialist on both punts and kickoffs, and should be able to provide depth in those two areas.

The Cowboys have yet to solidify either position this off-season, with players such as Smith (707 combined return yards in 2003), Crayton, Julius Jones and Nate Jones all expected to get opportunities to show off their return skills.

And Ward may not be the first option to return kicks, but if none of the rookies separate themselves from the pack, the Cowboys could point to him by the start of the regular season.

Ward is the second offensive player the Cowboys have signed this week. The club added rookie tight end Landon Trusty to the roster on Wednesday. Trusty (6-7, 270) played both football and basketball at Division II Central Arkansas. He was a four-year starter in football, catching 78 passes for 1,062 yards and 20 touchdowns during his four collegiate seasons.

Doesnt seem like Parcells is so sure of his return anymore. Maybe that gossip did have some truth to it. Its no coinsidence that Parcells just happened to finish contract negotiations a few days after Bryant's behavior problems. it may be a little worse than those Dallas fans hoped. Now its getting interesting.
Old 06-12-2004   #38
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Buff, I John McClain is pretty convinced that Bryant has played his last down as a Cowboy. I don't know if he has any extra insight or was guessing but he sounded convincing earlier.
Old 06-12-2004   #39
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Trade Hollings so that Jon Wells can be our feature back when Davis gets injured again? Um....no.
Old 06-12-2004   #40
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 25361 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
Tony Hollings Trade for Bryant....

Nevermind! The Boys want to unload Bryant. I just read the article above and if we can get Braynt cheap then by all means take him.
If Bryant is traded, from a business perspective, I seriously doubt if he will come cheap. He's a valuable player and we should be able to get someone in return that will be of equal value.
StarStruck is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read