Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-27-2010   #1
toxictrix
Rookie

Rep Power: 62 toxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 18 Game Season "A done deal"

Quote:
I think that the owners, and principally the commissioner, have decided that it's the way to go, and so the debate, such as it was, is over," Polian said. "I've heard recently, and I'm sorry that this didn't get more coverage earlier, some really, really interesting commentary on it. ... I wish some of that dialogue had taken place earlier.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5623441

Bill Polian says its a done deal. I personally don't like it. Discuss?
toxictrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #2
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6986 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 18 Game Season "A done deal"

Less meaningless preseason games and two more football games that count=me enjoying more football.

I like it.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #3
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

The question to me is "At what cost?" Currently, preseason and regular season tickets cost the same. In order to do this, I've heard talk about adding players to the roster and possible creating an instructional league. All this stuff costs money so how much is the NFL going to gouge me?
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

More football is always betters, especially since the Texans always seem to reach their stride toward the end of the season. 2 extra games last year puts us in the playoffs.

Sure records will suffer and players will complain. The quality of football for each game will probably drop a little. But we surived going from 14 to 16, and we'll surive 16 to 18.

Having only 8 home games per year is simply depressing. For teams that get back to back homegames to open the season, thats a 4th of your football action for the year.

As a pure consumer, I find it appealing
Old 09-27-2010   #5
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

as a fan I won't complain just let there be football in 2011.
Old 09-27-2010   #6
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
The question to me is "At what cost?" Currently, preseason and regular season tickets cost the same. In order to do this, I've heard talk about adding players to the roster and possible creating an instructional league. All this stuff costs money so how much is the NFL going to gouge me?
An instructional league could potentially bring in a good amount of money, especially in markets that don't have a team. The jerseys, of course, would have to have sponsors on them.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #7
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
as a fan I won't complain just let there be football in 2011.
I can't see players agreeing to this. There's such a larger risk for injury.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2010   #8
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
An instructional league could potentially bring in a good amount of money, especially in markets that don't have a team. The jerseys, of course, would have to have sponsors on them.
This is what I want. Give smaller cities teams, maybe near the "home/parent" team (i.e. - Houston: San Antonio Green Bay: Milwaukee). Every other sport does it.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I can't see players agreeing to this. There's such a larger risk for injury.
You might be right but there are some good things more teams would have a shot at the playoffs.
Old 09-27-2010   #10
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 132729 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Start the record books over. That's my biggest gripe. No asterisk, just start over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 282262 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Itís already a brutal game, and 16 regular season games is a long stretch for everyone to stay healthy. If they go to an 18 games season I hope like hell there are two bye weeks for the players.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #12
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
This is what I want. Give smaller cities teams, maybe near the "home/parent" team (i.e. - Houston: San Antonio Green Bay: Milwaukee). Every other sport does it.
Thats an interesting idea. I havent heard that. But can the Texans have Austin. San Antonio is infected with Cowboys fans.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #13
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't like this. As a fan it sounds great but the risk of injury goes up even more with 18 games. It will just become a watered down product by the 17th and 18th game, not to mention the playoffs.

If/when they add 2 extra games then I would hope they add in two extra bye weeks to the season. Yes the season will go on longer but in order to minimize any risk of injuries by adding games I would think the players deserve more breaks in order to rest from the pounding they take.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #14
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Start the record books over. That's my biggest gripe. No asterisk, just start over.
They didnt start them over the last time they expanded the regular season. Why now?
Old 09-27-2010   #15
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
They didnt start them over the last two times they expanded the regular season. Why now?
fify
Old 09-27-2010   #16
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I don't like this. As a fan it sounds great but the risk of injury goes up even more with 18 games. It will just become a watered down product by the 17th and 18th game, not to mention the playoffs.

If/when they add 2 extra games then I would hope they add in two extra bye weeks to the season. Yes the season will go on longer but in order to minimize any risk of injuries by adding games I would think the players deserve more breaks in order to rest from the pounding they take.
I heard that they will be adding in at least one extra buy week to help keep the injuries down.

I love the idea of 3 extra weeks of football, but I am a little scared of the extra injuries.

I'm a big CFL fan, being that I live in Canada, and we have an 18 season here that works fine. We use a 9 game injured reserve system, so the injured player can still come back during the year. The CFL isn't quite as violent as the NFL though.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #17
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33472 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
I heard that they will be adding in at least one extra buy week to help keep the injuries down.

I love the idea of 3 extra weeks of football, but I am a little scared of the extra injuries.

I'm a big CFL fan, being that I live in Canada, and we have an 18 season here that works fine. We use a 9 game injured reserve system, so the injured player can still come back during the year. The CFL isn't quite as violent as the NFL though.
Yeah, I'd agree there isn't the focus on violence in the CFL that there is in the NFL...far less 'big hits'.

I don't like the idea of an 18 game season. Its all money, and I think that player safety is a huge concern. Players retiring with life long injuries are high enough as it is. I just don't see why there should be an extra 2 games.

The preseason games are not as intense, and feature less playing time for starters as well, so the 'there will be the same amount of games' argument doesn't trade it off for me.

I know that football is a violent and intense game, but I just don't see why there is a need for an extra two games per team, other than to line the pockets of the upper echelons even more.
Old 09-27-2010   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't like it. I think it's a mistake and I think that we'll see shorter careers as a result of it.

Owners greed is forcing this to become a reality. I haven't seen any fans asking for it. I haven't heard any players talking about what a good idea it is. Just owners wanting to find a way to charge people more for their product.
Old 09-28-2010   #19
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 99071 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

They should just eliminate 2 preseason games instead of adding 2 more regular season games.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Two more games = two more shots at revenue. Advertising revenue, concession revenue, ticket sales, merchandise kiosk sales at the games, parking lot sales, etc.

No wonder McNair was a huge proponent of it. LOL.

Players will need to have more money, too.

What a dumb idea, IMO. It's stuff like this that makes you wonder sometimes. Commissioners of leagues either know how to let the league function as it should, and others come along and try to perform experiments on its inner workings.

This is like Trump and the USFL. All over again. Trying to be bigger than the game itself, IMO. I think it's a horrible idea. 16 games is grueling already. Two more? Jiminy Christmas. What good is two extra games to the fans if it means higher fatigue and more potential for injuries?

I have a feeling there will be a league-wide consensus among players on every team that they DOG IT during the last two games. Unless there's a team or three who is fighting for a playoff spot. All the rest will undoubtedly be DOGGING IT those last two games. And who will tune in to see those two regular season games at the end of the season that actually resemble the final/4th preseason game where only the backups play?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read