Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-27-2010   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Did anybody notice...

That the Cowboys came out running a bunch of draws and delayed hand-offs on us?

They were picking up big chunks of yardage.

And then later in the game the Texans started to recognize the call and they adjusted to it.

On one play the cowboys were at the line, Romo looked to the sideline and got a signal. He made an audible. Mario was standing up and noticed this and he turned around and motioned to the defense.

They ended up stopping the draw for no gain or a loss on that play.

After than, it looked like Romo had caught on to the fact that Mario had wised up to the signal and they stopped doing it/or they went with something different.

It'd be nice if the defensive players had a more subtle way to tell other defenders that they have deciphered a call and know whats coming. Mario made it really obvious he knew what was coming.

I assume they probably talked about it on the sideline and since Mario was closest to their sideline he was the one checking. Somebody should have gave them a call or signal so that the Cowboys wouldn't have immediately known the Texans had figured them out.

Just something small I saw and was wondering if anyone else did?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Did anybody notice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

And then later in the game the Texans started to recognize the call and they adjustetd to it.

Yeah, I noticed. I also noticed when Dallas went back to that draw on the 1st play of their 90 yard TD draw, and picked up 15 very big yards.

There were a lot of things about that game that were upsetting. Allowing the shotgun draw to work time after time was just one of them. Offense. Defense. Special teams. Coaching. This was a team loss in the truest sense.
Old 09-27-2010   #3
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Definitely. Gameday AM said something along the lines of the Cowboys run the middle draw more than any other team. After watching the game twice now, i think I finally understand that the Cowboys are a trench team all the way... OL, DL. They have big maulers on their lines. They're especially made for the draw play as well as breaking down the run. Ratliff gave us fits before he got injured.
Old 09-27-2010   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I can't wait till our guys start recognizing plays more consistently.
Old 09-27-2010   #5
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Read below. I poseted this a few days before the game. This should explain it.

"
Re: Texans v Cowboys arguments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys, make no mistake about this, Im Texan thru and thru. Just read this little tidbit in an article and thought Id share it with you.

"The Texans have to be wary of over-pursuit: Aaron Schatz of Football Outsiders says the Cowboys ran more draws than any other offense in 2009. Houston was the league's worst defense against draws last year, allowing an average of 7.6 yards per carry. We talked about the Texans' ability to be patient on offense. They’ve got to do the same on defense to avoid getting burned by run plays that need a bit of time to develop"

We need to be patient.......

On the record: I am very worried about this game. It has now turned into a must win for the cowboys as opposed to the texans.

My how the tables have turned......"
Old 09-27-2010   #6
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I can't wait till our guys start recognizing plays more consistently.
I can't wait until they recognize the gameplan before the game. That Gameday segment was on at around 9:30am before the game. The announcers had them figured out before our own boys. Talk about being shown up at the prom!
Old 09-28-2010   #7
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, is this actual football discussion and not blind rage?

I think you have the wrong website.
Old 09-28-2010   #8
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Sorry, is this actual football discussion and not blind rage?

I think you have the wrong website.
Wut?

I'm confused.
Old 09-28-2010   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Wut?

I'm confused.
I think he was saying that it is nice to see someone actually starting a thread about the details of the game...instead of whining and moaning about the loss (like we see in some other threads).

No offense to the moaners, by the way. :rimshot:
Old 09-28-2010   #10
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I think he was saying that it is nice to see someone actually starting a thread about the details of the game...instead of whining and moaning about the loss (like we see in some other threads).

No offense to the moaners, by the way. :rimshot:
Nailed it GP, I was being sarcastic.
Old 09-28-2010   #11
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

And then later in the game the Texans started to recognize the call and they adjusted to it.

On one play the cowboys were at the line, Romo looked to the sideline and got a signal. He made an audible. Mario was standing up and noticed this and he turned around and motioned to the defense.

They ended up stopping the draw for no gain or a loss on that play.

After than, it looked like Romo had caught on to the fact that Mario had wised up to the signal and they stopped doing it/or they went with something different.

It'd be nice if the defensive players had a more subtle way to tell other defenders that they have deciphered a call and know whats coming. Mario made it really obvious he knew what was coming.

I assume they probably talked about it on the sideline and since Mario was closest to their sideline he was the one checking. Somebody should have gave them a call or signal so that the Cowboys wouldn't have immediately known the Texans had figured them out.

All defenses do hand signals and yelling to call a defensive audible or shift. It's common at home because the noise is often a factor and given the distance between them, hand signals are the only way to communicate to the secondary.
Old 09-28-2010   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I bet the Raiders noticed.

This just in.... Darren McFadden is 3rd in the league in rushing.
Old 09-28-2010   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
All defenses do hand signals and yelling to call a defensive audible or shift. It's common at home because the noise is often a factor and given the distance between them, hand signals are the only way to communicate to the secondary.
Yeah...I am aware of all that...

I'm just saying that Mario made it really obvious that he knew what was coming...I haven't rewatched the game so I can't tell you a minute mark...

But on one of those draw plays Romo got a call from the siddeline, Mario saw it, and he made it known to everyone that he knew what was coming. They ended up stopping the draw on that play for no gain.

I just wish that they could have been more subtle in their adjustments.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read