Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-27-2010   #1
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5007 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Play Action?

What happened to the play action? I haven't been seeing those long bombs this season. Last year we got off a good start with the play action against the Tacks and stayed that way the entire season. That was all with one of the worst rushing offenses in the league. This year we have a huge threat in Arian Foster yet we still haven't been fooling defenses with the long passes. Matt schaub also hasn't been using it well. He's throwing picks on the Play Action plays. In the colts game he threw one intended for Andre and threw one in the redskins game intended for Owen daniels if I'm correct. And if he isn't throwing picks he's just throwing short, dinky passes. Maybe the wr aren't running fast enough? Or maybe dennison isn't a good play caller and calling then at the wrong times?
redwhiteANDblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 118834 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Play Action?

Or maybe having a qb coach is causing him to think too much.
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #3
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems to me, the Texans STILL only run the ball when their backs
are against the wall on down-and-distance. The run game, according
to how the Texans calls plays, is still a "compliment" to the offense. They
come out throwing, and seem to run only once the defense decides to
tee off on the pass. Another thing I noticed yesterday, the Texans seemed
almost scared to run the naked bootleg against that Dallas front seven.

No matter how well Arian Foster runs, the playcallers still have that tendency
to "out cute" themselves.
Old 09-27-2010   #4
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Any sort of misdirection they tried was eaten alive. You really want to put Schaub out on a pedestal with D Ware not buying anything?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Or maybe having a qb coach is causing him to think too much.
It crossed our minds on several occasions during yesterday's game that maybe they were over-thinking things for calling plays.

Maybe the players and coaches were tight or mentally exhausted after the first two games? Whatever it was, I hope they work it out this week. It would be much sadder to see them come out flat against the Raiders for a second week.
Old 09-27-2010   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

We had one long bomb, but then AJs ankle gave out on him and he was 10 yards behind the ball.

I think injuries (AJs ankle) and suspensions (D Brown) are hurting our playcalling
Old 09-27-2010   #7
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Any sort of misdirection they tried was eaten alive. You really want to put Schaub out on a pedestal with D Ware not buying anything?
The defense didn't bite on misdirection, because the Texans simply didn't
run the ball. Yes, Foster got 100 yards, but most of 'em came during
GOBBAGE TIME. The playcallers need to establish the run from the
outset. You have a good back, use him to free up your passing game.
Old 09-27-2010   #8
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Play Action?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
It crossed our minds on several occasions during yesterday's game that maybe they were over-thinking things for calling plays.

Maybe the players and coaches were tight or mentally exhausted after the first two games? Whatever it was, I hope they work it out this week. It would be much sadder to see them come out flat against the Raiders for a second week.
I went off on Kubiak during our failed goal line stand. My wife did not approve.

He was pacing the sideline, with his back to the endzone we were in, by himself at about the 40 yard line, head BURRIED in that damned chart for a good 2 or 3 minutes straight.

Paraphrasing I said 'please sir, but the chart down and watch what is happening on the field and make decisions based on that.'
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #9
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
I went off on Kubiak during our failed goal line stand. My wife did not approve.

He was pacing the sideline, with his back to the endzone we were in, by himself at about the 40 yard line, head BURRIED in that damned chart for a good 2 or 3 minutes straight.

Paraphrasing I said 'please sir, but the chart down and watch what is happening on the field and make decisions based on that.'
It looked like an exact replica of what happened in Arizona last year.
If this team doesn't take its head out of its ass, starting from THE TOP
(Kubiak), we'll be hearing about how this 9-7 team is a better 9-7 squad
than from last year.
Old 09-27-2010   #10
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8706 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post

I don't know if it was because they were scared but that's one thing I thought was missing from the game plan yesterday - bootleg or naked bootlegs. They only ran one bootleg the whole game and it fooled the D to give Schaub time to throw. I'm not understanding why we don't run them as often this year.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #11
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I also wonder why they don't play action in the red zone. Dallas was keyed up on the o line, why not play action it to OD or Dreesen on an out ?

And what about looking for JJ deep on some plays? It doesn't stretch the defense much if you don't ever throw to him down field.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #12
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't re-watched the game and I probably won't but I sure did notice a lot of shotgun. Maybe more than I have ever seen this coaching staff run. Not sure if we were trying to take advantage of something they saw on film or they were wary of the pass rush but I would have liked to see us stick to the I formation and pound it/play action a little more. The shotgun was pretty much letting them tee off on Schaub, I believe we only ran the ball once, maybe twice out of that formation.

I bet Gary knows Foster is the only back we have that's worth a darn and we can't be running him into the ground so early in the season. Curse you Ben Tate's ankle!
Old 09-27-2010   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It looked like an exact replica of what happened in Arizona last year.
If this team doesn't take its head out of its ass, starting from THE TOP
(Kubiak), we'll be hearing about how this 9-7 team is a better 9-7 squad
than from last year.
The Texans had better not pull that bullcrap this year. I expect a playoff berth and nothing short of that will do. The ONLY excuse for not making the playoffs this year is more injuries or player suspensions. This team has the talent to make the playoffs, and if Kubiak doesn't get them there, I'm going to be pissed.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Really? He was over 100 yards in the third Qtr, when we were down by 7.
Old 09-27-2010   #15
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking of play action,....I don't know if this showed up on TV, but it was real noticable in section 509. On the PA rollout pass to Daniels at the one yard line JJ was running a crossing route about 5 yards behing OD and had about 3 steps on his man in the end zone. That was a sure TD if he throws to JJ. I don't know if he missed him or if he couldn't make that throw on the run.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #16
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

They ran a TON of playaction versus the Redskins. For the Dallas game, Kubiak said that the playaction would require the TE's to hold up against their LB's which would be tough. Seeing Dreesen trying to block Ware that one time was not pretty.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #17
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8706 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
Speaking of play action,....I don't know if this showed up on TV, but it was real noticable in section 509. On the PA rollout pass to Daniels at the one yard line JJ was running a crossing route about 5 yards behing OD and had about 3 steps on his man in the end zone. That was a sure TD if he throws to JJ. I don't know if he missed him or if he couldn't make that throw on the run.
That's the play I was talking about being the only bootleg of the game. He had both OD and JJ open and had plenty of time to throw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
I don't know if it was because they were scared but that's one thing I thought was missing from the game plan yesterday - bootleg or naked bootlegs. They only ran one bootleg the whole game and it fooled the D to give Schaub time to throw. I'm not understanding why we don't run them as often this year.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #18
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

SOOOO much truth in this post.

I really feel despite all the Kubiak CoachSpeak about wanting to run the football, blah, blah, blah... what he really wants to do is THROW the ball and be the cleverestest man in the ballpark.

We were going at over 6 yards a carry at one stage and we were in the shotgun most of the time.
Old 09-28-2010   #19
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that we often look for the 25+ yard play and don't run plays that have been working for us.

Arian is a playmaker, get him the ball and let him do his magic.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #20
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I disagree. I think the Cowboys were ultimately prepared for the nuance of this offense. They weren't fooled on anything, play action, screen, nothing. Practically looked like they had a man or two in the huddle with the Texans, like they knew EXACTLY what was coming. About the only thing that really gashed them was Foster cutting back and getting some yard work in.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read