Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-27-2010   #1
small nizzle
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 small nizzle small nizzle small nizzle small nizzle small nizzle small nizzle
Default I got some questions about Kubiaks decisions

1.why is slaton returning kickoffs instead of jacoby. I think jj did them on the 1st game against colts and did well, then all of sudden slaton is doing the returns and nearly blows the game against the redskins,and kubiak still has him against cowboys returning...why?

2.why was jeremiah johnson cut? slaton is scared of another head injury so he runs with his head down straight up the middle every single time. plus, he has fumbling issues. why is ward and slaton ahead of jj on the depth chart ? its been 4 weeks since the tampa game so jj must be healed.

3.i keep hearing today that matt holds the ball to long. is this because the wr's arent open or because the line sucks or because he is slow in decision making? its got to be 1 of the 3. I think its the wr's not being open. Is walter not fast enough? Is andres injury really killing the offense like this? Would you rather have a miles austin instead of kevin walter or does the OL just suck this bad?

4.Troy Nolan was good at int's in college, but yet doesnt get a shot over Wilson. Why? I know he is a ss not a fs, but still he is a ballhawk so why not try it?

5.now that tape is out and every team is gunning for kareem jackson,why not send help? why cut reeves? this "man on a island" Defense is going to give up 300+ passing every game , will kubiak change this now or are we screwed until draft/fa next year?

6.foster ran it against colts to slow down the game,and made the passing game more effective, and rested our D, but against cowboys he wasnt used that much even though he avg 5 yrds/carry . Why is foster not getting 25+ carries a game?
small nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I got some questions about Kubiaks decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by small nizzle View Post
1.why is slaton returning kickoffs instead of jacoby. I think jj did them on the 1st game against colts and did well, then all of sudden slaton is doing the returns and nearly blows the game against the redskins,and kubiak still has him against cowboys returning...why?
JJ is a good punt returner, but hasn't done much as a kick returner. He is a vital part of our offense as well, and I doubt Kubiak wants him returning kicks, punts, and playing WR3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by small nizzle
2.why was jeremiah johnson cut? slaton is scared of another head injury so he runs with his head down straight up the middle every single time. plus, he has fumbling issues. why is ward and slaton ahead of jj on the depth chart ? its been 4 weeks since the tampa game so jj must be healed.
You already asked this in another thread. It was answered already there as well

Quote:
3.i keep hearing today that matt holds the ball to long. is this because the wr's arent open or because the line sucks or because he is slow in decision making? its got to be 1 of the 3. I think its the wr's not being open. Is walter not fast enough? Is andres injury really killing the offense like this? Would you rather have a miles austin instead of kevin walter or does the OL just suck this bad?
What? Schaub has held onto the ball too long a couple of times, but he's done this in the past as well. He likes to wait for routes to develop. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Walter is plenty fast. AJ is still AJ. Our OL seems to be breaking down faster than usual, however th is is partly on Schaub.

Quote:
4.Troy Nolan was good at int's in college, but yet doesnt get a shot over Wilson. Why? I know he is a ss not a fs, but still he is a ballhawk so why not try it?
I'd also like to see Nolan over Wilson. Hopefully this week

Quote:
5.now that tape is out and every team is gunning for kareem jackson,why not send help? why cut reeves? this "man on a island" Defense is going to give up 300+ passing every game , will kubiak change this now or are we screwed until draft/fa next year?
Kareem is rarely 1 on 1. He almost always had safety help, but he was playing too close up and there were huge gaps between him and the Safety. He also got beat so fast a few times that the safeties didn't have a chance to get there.

Quote:
6.foster ran it against colts to slow down the game,and made the passing game more effective, and rested our D, but against cowboys he wasnt used that much even though he avg 5 yrds/carry . Why is foster not getting 25+ carries a game?
You run 25+ times when you're ahead. You can't continue to run as often when your'e down 2+ scores. We were ahead the entire Colts game. Weve been playing from behind for the past 2 weeks.
Old 09-27-2010   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think for fear of risking JJ to injury possibly? Need him in our 3 WR packages.

Quote:
2.why was jeremiah johnson cut? slaton is scared of another head injury so he runs with his head down straight up the middle every single time. plus, he has fumbling issues. why is ward and slaton ahead of jj on the depth chart ? its been 4 weeks since the tampa game so jj must be healed

He's on injured reserved which means he's out for the season so he is not playing for anyone. Both he and Tate were put on that list due to injury. I think it is safe to assume that having Slaton as the #2 back was not in their plans.

Quote:
I believe it had to do with not getting enough time. I think the ankle injury took off some timing but overall we just got beat yesterday.

Quote:
I assume that even though he is a DB, the assignments are alot different and possibly he isn't doing anything special in practice right now. I really wouldn't like putting a guy out there who hasn't gotten many reps at FS out there.

Quote:
I want this changed now. We were sold on the whole, he's game ready now reason for drafting him but he keeps getting smoked harder than a joint in a Cheech and Chong movie. I don't know how much better it would be but can't we put Mccain as the #2 and Kareem as the nickel and bring him along slowly.

Quote:
I agree with this. I felt we let Dallas off the hook too quickly in terms of making them stop our run. They go up 7-3 and we abandonded the run game for the rest of the half pretty much.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #4
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

As of right now, Nolan is the 3rd string FS behind Barber. Barber got some playing time when Wilson came out after the Roy Williams 2nd TD (Eugene Wilson hurt himself, and that's why Roy Williams had such an easy TD). At least, he was limping after the play, and I don't remember seeing him afterwards.

I agree that Wilson is not a starting FS, but Kubiak has said that Nolan isn't ready to start yet. I hope that changes, and he puts Nolan out there. After all if KJ is learning by being thrown in there, why not Nolan?
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #5
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

The one thing I really questioned, and I am sure others have as well, and if I missed it somewhere else, please direct me to it, but why when it was 1st and goal from the 1, did they not try to go right up the middle?? Did I miss something, did Kubes say anything about it in the post game presser? Was Leach hurting from all the blocking he was doing? I mean 1 yard.. QB sneak, FB up the middle, Foster up the middle. Why run it outside and try cutting it back in.. not once, but 2x... then the offsetting penalty,then they try it again but thank God for the timeout right before the snap. Then right off the TO - SACK.. Didn't see that Matt?? They showed it so you had to have..
So please explain to me that series and what if anything Kubes said about it.. that changed the game right there.. Score , its 17-10 with 13:30 left..still a game, and well 3 just didn't cut it at that time.. Shoot Dallas went for it a few times on 4th and 1, time was running out Kubes, 3 gets you the same as 0 at that time of the game !!
Oh yeah, and why didn't you blitz at all???
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #6
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
The one thing I really questioned, and I am sure others have as well, and if I missed it somewhere else, please direct me to it, but why when it was 1st and goal from the 1, did they not try to go right up the middle?? Did I miss something, did Kubes say anything about it in the post game presser? Was Leach hurting from all the blocking he was doing? I mean 1 yard.. QB sneak, FB up the middle, Foster up the middle. Why run it outside and try cutting it back in.. not once, but 2x... then the offsetting penalty,then they try it again but thank God for the timeout right before the snap. Then right off the TO - SACK.. Didn't see that Matt?? They showed it so you had to have..
So please explain to me that series and what if anything Kubes said about it.. that changed the game right there.. Score , its 17-10 with 13:30 left..still a game, and well 3 just didn't cut it at that time.. Shoot Dallas went for it a few times on 4th and 1, time was running out Kubes, 3 gets you the same as 0 at that time of the game !!
Oh yeah, and why didn't you blitz at all???
Our goal line play calling is suspect at best. I'm not sure why we haven't tried a play action either at the goal line. A nice little bootleg or something would really throw the defense off. I liked the fade to Kevin Walter, we should try it again, especially when the defender isn't holding our receiver, we should be able to catch it.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Kareem has been waiting at the first down spot, and the WRs are getting between that spot and the safety. This = Easy pickins' for QBs and WRs. You just throw it to the void between the CB and the S.

This is on tape. This has been happening every game.

When the WR keeps going upfield, past the first down marker, KJ is handing him off to the S and holding his ground at the sticks...trying to prevent a curl route or an out route, or an in route back to the middle.

If anything, we need to be asking "Why is our Free Safety so late to the scene of the crime?" Protecting the deep route maybe?

This team should consider using a nickel package a lot more. I agree with putting McCain in as the CB and letting Jackson go the nickel back route. Jackson in a nickel package makes good sense because he does have a good run tackling/run support facet to his game. You give up a LB, but you gain a good tackling defensive back who can cover someone or lend coverage support. In essence, you use Jackson as a third Safety out there.
Old 09-27-2010   #8
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe some of yall didn't notice this, but McCain got wtfburned multiple times on Sunday too.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #9
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 57661 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

For the 1st 3 games, the average starting field position after a Slaton return is the 20.8 yard line.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #10
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68808 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
For the 1st 3 games, the average starting field position after a Slaton return is the 20.8 yard line.

Thats DISGUSTING.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read