Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-26-2010   #1
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80155 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Slaton

Thought he needed his own thread. He's completely useless. Put him at RB and all of a sudden runs get stuffed. Let him return kicks and you're lucky to start at the 15. I can't believe how far he's fallen. Remember, he really should have been offensive ROY just 2 seasons ago. Anyone wanna see someone else besides him returning kicks because I sure as hell do.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #2
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Slaton

They need to stop trying to run Slaton up the middle. I don't know why they kept doing that. Use Slaton for screens and runs to the outside.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #3
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 5502 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
They need to stop trying to run Slaton up the middle. I don't know why they kept doing that. Use Slaton for screens and runs to the outside.
This. Slaton cold be very useful you use him right. We don't ever see pitches or tosses to Slaton which he excels at.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #4
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 14263 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what to think with Slaton.

he doesn't fit the zone running scheme we have now.

he is not a good kick returner.

at this point i would say maybe have Slaton play a similar role that Reggie Bush plays in New Orleans as a slot receiver/ open field screen/checkdown guy.
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #5
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80155 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Weren't we running the ZBS his rookie season? We also used to send him wide, I'd kind of like to see Slaton and Foster on the field at the same time if that would make his roster spot worthwhile.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #6
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Texan View Post
I don't know what to think with Slaton.

he doesn't fit the zone running scheme we have now.

he is not a good kick returner.

at this point i would say maybe have Slaton play a similar role that Reggie Bush plays in New Orleans as a slot receiver/ open field screen/checkdown guy.
I don't think Slaton is overrated enough to be used as a decoy.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #7
Eddie
Rookie

Cool Re: Slaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Thought he needed his own thread. He's completely useless. Put him at RB and all of a sudden runs get stuffed. Let him return kicks and you're lucky to start at the 15. I can't believe how far he's fallen. Remember, he really should have been offensive ROY just 2 seasons ago. Anyone wanna see someone else besides him returning kicks because I sure as hell do.
Slaton needs to sit it down for awhile..He runs with his head down and it looks like he is scare to get hit..Somebody else needs to step up on kick returns.. What ever happen to all the other guys that were supposed to be kick returners????
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2010   #8
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

and yet somehow he averaged 4.7 yds/carry. Of course he only got 3 carries. Add the one dump-off he got for 3 yds and that's four offensive touches for a 4+ ypt average.
Is that Slaton's fault?

Now I agree with you on the kickoff return point. We have GOT to have a better option there.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #9
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

What was it last year against Cincy slaton was deadly with those screens? I even remember playbook talking all about how we are using him in spaces, linemen attacking downfield,etc. I cant remember seeing them much since. Are we saving those plays or something?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #10
BullsOnParade
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 282 BullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton wasn't productive running the football because the line couldn't block a damn when he got a chance. I'm not sure why Slaton isn't our designated 3rd down RB, maybe he sucks at pass protection...? Someone clue me in.

I know Arian had that sweet 3rd down conversion, but I think that's rather atypical. Slaton can take it to the house, but he needs somes space. And with the playcalling and blocking he got today, there wasn't any room.

Now as for kickoff returns, we've got to make a change. Slaton has shown me absolutely NOTHING. Dude has been turrible on special teams. Maybe he's not a returner, which I'm ok with...but I know we got a pretty damn good one in #12.
BullsOnParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullsOnParade View Post
Slaton wasn't productive running the football because the line couldn't block a damn when he got a chance.
So the line fails to run block only when Slaton is in the game? Funny how Foster looks fine behind the same line, hmmm?
Old 09-26-2010   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 70964 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think Slaton is bad. I just dont understand why the defense is soooo ready for him when he gets the ball. No holes. No open grass. Just defenders everywhere.

And yes, I want to see Jacoby taking KR duties.

Slaton on screens and stretch plays.

S
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #13
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

They need to trade him he isn't helping at all and it seems like he lost his confidence since he is not the starter. Please draft another explosive back next year to catch out of the backfield and bring speed to the offense because Steve Slaton has lost it.
Old 09-26-2010   #14
Playmaker
Veteran

Rep Power: 244 Playmaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respected

I cringed when Ben Tate and Trindon Holliday went on the IR, not because I expected big things from them initially, but I knew that meant more times that Slaton would get the ball.

After this year, I really hope we get more RB depth and a viable KR, so we can let Slaton go.
Playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #15
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

He looks fine in the offense(should get more looks in the passing game) and is averaging 4.8 ypa. Foster was getting stuffed at the line quite a bit too, and Slaton actually seems to break more tackles.

He should never, ever, in a million years, even if he is the only person on the roster with functional legs... return another kick.

... ever...

...Never... ever....

Never...

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Old 09-26-2010   #16
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

People keep dogging on Slaton running the ball, but he is getting almost five yards a carry. And that is with Kubiak and company running him up the middle for some odd reason. If they ran some sweeps, screens, and maybe a few draws (like the nice one we saw today), then Slaton would be more effective.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #17
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 45235 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton is only put in to get Foster a break. He's not near where he was during his breakout season and he likely won't be this year, if ever. I still don't know why he's the kickoff returner. With the exception of the one decent return his MO is:
Catch the ball
Run towards the big group coming downfield then shuffle his feet, trying to decide if he can make a move
or
Run directly at the pile of players
Get tackled before reaching the 20
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #18
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
He looks fine in the offense(should get more looks in the passing game) and is averaging 4.8 ypa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
People keep dogging on Slaton running the ball, but he is getting almost five yards a carry.
Yes. Today he averaged 4.7 YPC. He had 3 carries for 14 yards. His long was 16 yards. FOURTEEN YARDS. WITH A LONG OF SIXTEEN.

I know, math is not my strong suit, so I'll let it go.
Old 09-26-2010   #19
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Yes. Today he averaged 4.7 YPC. He had 3 carries for 14 yards. His long was 16 yards. FOURTEEN YARDS. WITH A LONG OF SIXTEEN.

I know, math is not my strong suit, so I'll let it go.
That's how he was his rookie year and people didn't complain.

Stuffed, stuffed, 12, stuffed, stuffed, 72.

Old 09-26-2010   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
That's how he was his rookie year and people didn't complain.
No, I complained. Never been a fan. Slaton might have had the most overrated 1200 yard season ever.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read