Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2010   #1
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Texans sure have quite a few interesting players...

Quote:

What is a professional football player doing on a snowboard? That was the question we had after stumbling upon a recent photo of Houston Texans linebacker Kevin Bentley decked out in full on-snow regalia in ESPN The Magazine (Aug. 9 issue 13.16). The article in reference details the "side hustles" of mainstream pro athletes, from wine making to cattle breeding. Bentley's hustle? Teaching snowboarding.

Turns out, Bentley is a Cert II-level instructor who has been teaching snowboarding during the NFL offseason in Vail, Colo. -- for $14 an hour! -- since 2004. How is it that a guy who needs every muscle, ligament and joint in his body to be in peak condition every day of the football season is even allowed to look at a snowboard, much less step foot on one? We had to find out.

ESPN.com: So Kevin, for the snowboarders reading who may not follow the NFL closely, could you run down your list of stats?
Bentley: My football history? I was drafted to Cleveland in the fourth round, played three years there. Then I went to Seattle, played three years -- went to the Super Bowl [in 2006]. This is my third year in Houston. So this is my ninth year playing pro football.

What's the average career length in the NFL?
Oh, about three years. [Laughs.]

On to snowboarding ... how do they let you do it? Isn't it in your contract that you can't? What if you hurt yourself?
I don't know. It's not in my contract.

They don't give you a hard time?
Hell no.

How did you get into snowboarding?
I skateboarded in high school, so I decided to try snowboarding. The National Brotherhood of Skiers have a big summit every year. I went to that and I loved it. The first year I went [it] was in Vail. I met a lot of cool people while I was up there and I just continued to go back.

And you also do yoga? Did someone in Colorado turn you on to that?
No. [Laughs.] It was a strength coach up in Seattle. He offered it to us as a way to get more flexible. I like to eat organic and stuff so I thought I'd try it, and I loved it, and have been doing it ever since.

So your teammates don't think you're just the crazy guy on the team, into yoga and snowboarding?
Nah. I mean, they know I'm anal about my regimen. But you know, as long as I get the job done I could really care less what people think. And then offseason I'm gonna live my life and have fun, that's the way I look at it.
Full article in link above.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #2
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

Rep Power: 120 Line_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Texans sure have quite a few interesting players...

Awesome article, I hope I see him up there this season.
Old 09-25-2010   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Big Ben was left to his "good judgement." Despite even real good judgement, things happen. BTW, over half of "skiing" accidents occur on snowboards rather than skis. Hope that $14 an hour job is worth it to both him and the Texans.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #4
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

The 7 year ACL tear rate for a professional skiier / snowboarder is close to 100%
He may not be doing it year round, but still...
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #5
Sway
Veteran

Rep Power: 182 Sway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respected

too bad he's a boarder. I spend all my time on the slopes trying to avoid their recklessness. :-( Sorry, but I've been skiing since I was 3. At least he's on the snow.
Sway is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read