Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2010   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans vs. Cowboys Matchup Preview

At this point, Iím not sure how I will ever predict the Texans to lose a game this season. I just donít see a better team in the NFL right now. And, even if there is one, it will be very difficult to navigate through the rose-colored hue that my fandom is coloring everything with right now. So, instead of focusing on why the Texans will win the game, I will focus on what I think are the keys to the game. That being said, I like the Texans to win this game going away:

Rashod Butler and Wade Smith vs. Cowboy blitzes and stunts

I know there has been a lot of talk about the matchup between Demarcus Ware and Rashod Butler. Frankly, I am as worried about Anthony Spencerís pass rush against Eric Winston as I am about that matchup. I think Butler will hold his own and receive a fair amount of help. However, the real issue that I see is the ability/inability for he and Wade Smith to react and communicate effectively to twists, stunts, and blitzes that Wade Phillips will surely call to exploit Butlerís inexperience. Expect a ton of pre and post-snap movement in front of Smith and Butler. Bradie James and Keith Brooking are both experienced and effective blitzers as ILBs. James recorded 8.5 sacks in 2008 playing ILB. So, they will surely focus on confusing Butler. If Butler and Smith have difficulty working together in the midst of all the movement, Schaub could be in some trouble.
CONTINUE READING
Old 09-25-2010   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192005 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans vs. Cowboys Matchup Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
At this point, Iím not sure how I will ever predict the Texans to lose a game this season. I just donít see a better team in the NFL right now. And, even if there is one, it will be very difficult to navigate through the rose-colored hue that my fandom is coloring everything with right now. So, instead of focusing on why the Texans will win the game, I will focus on what I think are the keys to the game. That being said, I like the Texans to win this game going away:

Rashod Butler and Wade Smith vs. Cowboy blitzes and stunts

I know there has been a lot of talk about the matchup between Demarcus Ware and Rashod Butler. Frankly, I am as worried about Anthony Spencerís pass rush against Eric Winston as I am about that matchup. I think Butler will hold his own and receive a fair amount of help. However, the real issue that I see is the ability/inability for he and Wade Smith to react and communicate effectively to twists, stunts, and blitzes that Wade Phillips will surely call to exploit Butlerís inexperience. Expect a ton of pre and post-snap movement in front of Smith and Butler. Bradie James and Keith Brooking are both experienced and effective blitzers as ILBs. James recorded 8.5 sacks in 2008 playing ILB. So, they will surely focus on confusing Butler. If Butler and Smith have difficulty working together in the midst of all the movement, Schaub could be in some trouble.
CONTINUE READING
Great writeup as usual.

However, let me pick a grammar nit:

Quote:
The Texans have been a dominate run defense the past 15 games.
That should be "dominant", not "dominate."
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice analysis.

If Antonio Smith is not recovered (not just playing,) the picture could be hindered.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #4
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for your matchup preview. Yes, Abidi concerns me as well. Hope, it is just an experience thing. BTW, Butler's first name is Rashad instead of Rashod right?

Go Texans!!!

Get it together Xman!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #5
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks good read. Can't wait for the game!!!

Go Texans
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #6
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I was wondering about this too. The Stunts etc. are going to be an issue, are we going to run some screens and do some quick outs to counter? I'm confident Kubiak will be ready. After last week and the beating Schaub took, I'm sure this week will feature shorter plays.

I'm curious as to what you all think of our defensive sets. Are we going to be trotting out a nickel like we did in the Colts game more often because of Dallas' deep threat? I imagine having a nickel (and as a result not having Adibi on the field) will give us a better ability to stop the pass, assuming we can shutdown the run with just a nickel.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #7
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I was wondering about this too. The Stunts etc. are going to be an issue, are we going to run some screens and do some quick outs to counter? I'm confident Kubiak will be ready. After last week and the beating Schaub took, I'm sure this week will feature shorter plays.

I'm curious as to what you all think of our defensive sets. Are we going to be trotting out a nickel like we did in the Colts game more often because of Dallas' deep threat? I imagine having a nickel (and as a result not having Adibi on the field) will give us a better ability to stop the pass, assuming we can shutdown the run with just a nickel.
We can't simply decide to run nickel like we did versus Indy. The Cowboy O-line and TEs are too good at power running. Whether we run nickel will be dependent on the packages Dallas runs on offense.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2010   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post

I think you're right with the nickel. Whenever we face a team with a very strong receiving threat TE (like Dallas Clark and Jason Whitten), w seem to play a lot of nickel to avoid having a guy like Adibi running 5 yards behind their TE.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read