Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2010   #1
TheEastwood
Veteran

Rep Power: 935 TheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Last time we went 2-0

A fast look back at history... the last time the texans went 2-0.

Matt Shcuab in his first game went 16/22 for 225 1 td 1 int

from what i remember schuab was lights out. Threw a 77 yd td to Andre"the Beast"Johnson. Not Schaub's best game, but compared to watching Mr. Mittens for the past 4 years, Matt looked like an all-pro. Johnson finished the game with 7 receptions for 142 yds and 1 td

2nd game vs panthers
Matt was 20/28 for 227 with 2 tds. Johnson had 7 rec for 120 yds and 2 td. Most importantly though, I remember the Texans being down by at least 14 points and coming back to win the game.( The similarities are kind of striking aren't they + Johnson was injured in this game).

3rd game vs colts in Reliant
Schuab was 27/33 236 1 td 2 int
Johnson was out for this game. Davis stepped up with 4 rec for 70 yds.
We lost a deceptively close game where we scored in garbage time. (to be fair I do remember damn near all of our rbs getting hurt and the texans trying to run the ball with FB cook as a RB.)

I'm not trying to bring us down, but I just can't help but remember that. We won against two teams that were predicted to go to the playoffs ( the Panthers were superbowl favs for alot of analysts that year) and fell off flat for the rest of the year.
I don't think that'll happen this week as this looks like a new Texans team (Plus I got money riding on the texans.... Rackers if you let me down I'll break your kneecaps)But I thought a look through some history would be good. I'm nervous about this game as the Texans have a history of wrecking sho.p and then coming out flat. But no matter what GO TEXANS!!
TheEastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #2
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Last time we went 2-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEastwood View Post
I just can't help but remember that. We won against two teams that were predicted to go to the playoffs ( the Panthers were superbowl favs for alot of analysts that year) and fell off flat for the rest of the year.
This is simply not true.

Most people considered the Chiefs (the first opponent that year) to be rather weak and expected the Texans to win.

While some considered the Panthers a potential playoff team, I actually remember a Panthers fan visiting our message board before the game that year and saying he didn't expect them to do any better than 8-8.

It's natural to be cautious about your expectations---not wanting to get let down.

But this Texans team is very different than that team.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the analogy works but that Colts game was freakish. We lost AJ the week before. JJ came in and then got injured. Ahman Green didn't make it through one series. Ron Dayne was injured and inactive. Cedric Killings was carted off the field. Steve McKinney went down. I don't think that was a garbage time TD either.
Old 09-25-2010   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

First off, the Chiefs had been a playoff team the year before, but they had totally killed and overused Larry Johnson the previous year. It was Herm Edward's 2nd year and they'd backed into the playoffs just to get crushed by the Colts.

There were several "experts" that picked the Texans in that game.

Second, the win against the Panthers was pretty epic and we did come back against them. We also set a team record for scoring in that game.

The Colt game, however, was a great battle. We scored with 2:53 left to cut their lead to 6 points. We weren't able to get the ball back very quickly although we did get it back. But then Matt was sacked and that was the end of the game. I don't consider that a garbage time TD.

However, the BAD part was that we were so emotionally drained from that Colt game, we dropped a game that should have been an easy win against the Falcons.

And a few games after that, we lost that almost amazing comeback game against the Titans.

Now, granted, starting 2-0 doesn't guarantee us of anything. We've got to keep working really hard. This fast start doesn't mean anything until we've won at least 10 games. I mean, look at the Broncos last year. They started 6-0 and ended up 8-8. Until we get 10 wins AND/OR have a playoff berth clinched, we haven't really proven anything.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Until we get 10 wins AND/OR have a playoff berth clinched, we haven't really proven anything.
And there you have it. I think we'll beat the Cowpies, but I certainly don't go into this game thinking it's a automatic win. No wins are automatic in the NFL, and despite the fact we are now becomming media darlings, the season is young and as we all know, can be full of suprises both good and bad.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #6
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37160 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Every game in the NFL seems to hinge on one or two plays. The Texans
are 2-0, but they are also a couple plays from being 0-2. Yes, the Texans
dominated the Colts, but had they failed on that 4th and 1, momentum could
have led to a Colts victory. Yeah, they beat the Redskins, but the game
hinged on the 4th and 10 play, the missed Galloway 74-yard touchdown, and
the Shanahan-esque field goal timeout.

You can take NO game for granted in this league, as we've seen last year, it
only takes ONE loss to the right team to keep your ass on the couch come
playoff time.

By the way.
The Texans started last year 5-3, after a landmark victory at Buffalo, shaking
hands skinnin'-and-grinnin' like they'd just clinched a playoff berth. Then, they
found a way to lose four games in-a-row in COLOSSAL fashion (ALL DIVISION
GAMES by-the-way.). I like their post-game attitude this time around, but they
need to keep it up.

My signature, quoted for truth:

Quote:
RIP EXCUSES (2006-2009)
The First Twelve Games (Where Playoff Teams Are Made):
2007: (5-7) | 2008: (5-7) | 2009: (5-7) | 2010: (2-0)

Last edited by DexmanC; 09-25-2010 at 08:48 AM.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey Dexman, shouldn't you change your sig to RIP Excuses 2006 - 2010?

At any rate, good sig.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2010   #8
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

At any rate, good sig.
As long as they are dead.....does it matter?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #9
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEastwood View Post
A fast look back at history... the last time the texans went 2-0.

Matt Shcuab in his first game went 16/22 for 225 1 td 1 int

from what i remember schuab was lights out. Threw a 77 yd td to Andre"the Beast"Johnson. Not Schaub's best game, but compared to watching Mr. Mittens for the past 4 years, Matt looked like an all-pro. Johnson finished the game with 7 receptions for 142 yds and 1 td

2nd game vs panthers
Matt was 20/28 for 227 with 2 tds. Johnson had 7 rec for 120 yds and 2 td. Most importantly though, I remember the Texans being down by at least 14 points and coming back to win the game.( The similarities are kind of striking aren't they + Johnson was injured in this game).

3rd game vs colts in Reliant
Schuab was 27/33 236 1 td 2 int
Johnson was out for this game. Davis stepped up with 4 rec for 70 yds.
We lost a deceptively close game where we scored in garbage time. (to be fair I do remember damn near all of our rbs getting hurt and the texans trying to run the ball with FB cook as a RB.)

I'm not trying to bring us down, but I just can't help but remember that. We won against two teams that were predicted to go to the playoffs ( the Panthers were superbowl favs for alot of analysts that year) and fell off flat for the rest of the year.
I don't think that'll happen this week as this looks like a new Texans team (Plus I got money riding on the texans.... Rackers if you let me down I'll break your kneecaps)But I thought a look through some history would be good. I'm nervous about this game as the Texans have a history of wrecking sho.p and then coming out flat. But no matter what GO TEXANS!!
When someone has to state they are "not trying to bring us down" that is exactly what they are trying to do...

Just like when an athelete says "it's not about the money" Guess what, it was all about the money...

or my favorite, when some says "no offense, but"

That team back then and this team now are light years apart...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #10
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Last time we went 2-0 we lost AJ for like 6 weeks.
Old 09-25-2010   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Last time we went 2-0 we lost AJ for like 6 weeks.
7 games and we lost 5 of them. Should have been a 9 or 10 win season.
Old 09-25-2010   #12
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37160 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

At any rate, good sig.
LOl. I used "2009" to signify the END of excuses for the underachievement
of this team. Yet, some posters here don't like it. lol
Old 09-25-2010   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

WR Andre Johnson

(on the excitement around the team being 2-0) “Like I said before, the attitude around here is totally different. I mean, the atmosphere around the stadium, just in the building is totally different. It’s something that not just me, the organization has been waiting for. But at the same time, we were in this position before. We were 2-0 (in 2007) and ended up losing five games in a row, so us being 2-0 really doesn’t matter. Of course we want to be undefeated, but at the same time, we have to go out and try to win this game Sunday, so we’ll just focus on this job that we have to get done on Sunday.”
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #14
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I don't think the analogy works but that Colts game was freakish. We lost AJ the week before. JJ came in and then got injured. Ahman Green didn't make it through one series. Ron Dayne was injured and inactive. Cedric Killings was carted off the field. Steve McKinney went down. I don't think that was a garbage time TD either.

isn't that the one JJ got knocked out by the punter?
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Yeah. Now in JJ's defense that punter had like 4.4-5 speed and was known as a hitter.
Old 09-25-2010   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
7 games and we lost 5 of them. Should have been a 9 or 10 win season.
Exactly. We didn't realize at the time what a loss AJ was going to be. Davis filled in well, but he's no Andre Johnson.
Old 09-25-2010   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
WR Andre Johnson

(on the excitement around the team being 2-0) “Like I said before, the attitude around here is totally different. I mean, the atmosphere around the stadium, just in the building is totally different. It’s something that not just me, the organization has been waiting for. But at the same time, we were in this position before. We were 2-0 (in 2007) and ended up losing five games in a row, so us being 2-0 really doesn’t matter. Of course we want to be undefeated, but at the same time, we have to go out and try to win this game Sunday, so we’ll just focus on this job that we have to get done on Sunday.”
link
That's not actually correct. We lost the Colts and Falcons game, won the game against the Dolphins and then some more.
Old 09-25-2010   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Hunter Smith.

We were all so high on Jacoby his rookie season and then after that injury, he was pretty much crap the rest of the year.
Old 09-25-2010   #19
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 36501 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
When someone has to state they are "not trying to bring us down" that is exactly what they are trying to do...

Just like when an athelete says "it's not about the money" Guess what, it was all about the money...

or my favorite, when some says "no offense, but"

That team back then and this team now are light years apart...
Haha, yea. The one that always gets me is "I'm not being racist, but...".

It is going to be awkward going into every game this year however. As much as we want the swagger, and the winning attitude that comes from being a constantly successful team, mediocrity is so close in the past, there is always going to be a 'I'm worried about this team/game' going on.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read