Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2010   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why The Cowboys Will Lose to the Texans

This is a remarkably insightful in-depth piece by a Cowboys writer (SportsDayDFW sports).

Quote:
Here is a statistic that you may not be aware of from this year's Football Outsiders Almanac: Do not big blitz Matt Schaub: The Texans' quarterback averaged a league-best 10.7 yards per pass against big blitzes, which may be why only Indianapolis and Tennessee faced fewer big blitzes than Houston did.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why The Cowboys Will Lose to the Texans

Great Read CnD Thanks!

MSR
Old 09-24-2010   #3
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Rep Power: 7456 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

If they blitz us they will pay!
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #4
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope they don't blitz us with Brown out. I'd like for Schaub to be healthy 5 weeks from now.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBlood View Post
If they blitz us they will pay!
They will blitz and be fools if they did not. Both teams need to find out early of Butler can keep heat off Schaub. As Duane Brown knows it only takes one play to make you look real bad. The difference is this season we have a power back for Schaub to dump to. Foster can also catch. Look for TEs and quick passes to relieve the pressure. It will be up to Matt to see he doesn't get hit often. Hope he remembers to throw it away rather than eat it and maybe suffer a TO or being knocked from game. I really hope we do not have to find out how Orslovksy & Leinart are progressing.
Old 09-24-2010   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 266978 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is very good against the blitz but credit also needs to go to the OL and particularly the RBs as well. This shows why Kubiak has such an emphasis on RBs blocking well.
Old 09-24-2010   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting comments frm an ESPN article I read:

Quote:
Stop Me Before I Blitz Again! Greg Olson of the Chicago Bears caught a 39-yard touchdown pass against a Dallas seven-man blitz; Steve Smith of the Panthers caught a 37-yard touchdown pass against a Bucs six blitz. But the Armageddon of the blitz came in the Houston at Washington collision.

On opening day, Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett called a dozen safety blitzes against Dallas, a high number, and the Skins escaped with a one-point victory on the final snap. On Sunday, Washington held a comfortable 17-point lead over the visiting Texans late in the third quarter. Play straight defense, and victory is likely. Instead, Haslett called 19 blitzes on the 40 remaining Houston snaps; Washington lost in overtime. Houston ran 40 plays from the late third quarter on? That's the sort of thing that happens against a blitz-wacky defense. Blitz, blitz, blitz resulted in 526 yards of offense, 29 first downs and 30 points allowed.

If you were wondering why NFL teams don't blitz constantly -- listening to sportsyak, you'd think the blitz is a magic formula for instant success -- the Washington collapse against Houston is your answer.

The low point came with the Redskins leading 27-20, the Moo Cows facing fourth-and-10 on the Washington 34 just before regulation's two-minute warning. Washington did not need a sack or turnover, just an incompletion. The Skins blitzed, leaving Andre Johnson -- among the league's best players -- single-covered in the end zone by safety Reed Doughty. Johnson outleaped Doughty for the touchdown that caused overtime, a great catch. Three Skins defensive backs from the nickel package were standing in the center of the field covering no one, as the opposition's best player was single-covered in the end zone. This is the sort of thing that happens when a team blitzes too much.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...k&sportCat=nfl
Old 09-24-2010   #8
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Schaub is very good against the blitz but credit also needs to go to the OL and particularly the RBs as well. This shows why Kubiak has such an emphasis on RBs blocking well.
Yep, RB blocking is very important. I would honestly put Leech back there nest to Schaub in the gun. Dare you to approach the pepsi machine.
Old 09-24-2010   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Washington still got the Schaub 5 times. For the life of me the OL couldn't seem to figure out Landry on the safety blitz.

Good news is that it took bringing in a safety to get to him.

Also saw Schaub take some hits and get back up, note to rest of league, this isn't the ol "glass" Matt we saw a few seasons ago. This guy is tough.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Interesting comments frm an ESPN article I read:

Quote:
On Sunday, Washington held a comfortable 17-point lead over the visiting Texans late in the third quarter. Play straight defense, and victory is likely. Instead, Haslett called 19 blitzes on the 40 remaining Houston snaps; Washington lost in overtime. Houston ran 40 plays from the late third quarter on? That's the sort of thing that happens against a blitz-wacky defense. Blitz, blitz, blitz resulted in 526 yards of offense, 29 first downs and 30 points allowed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...k&sportCat=nfl
The Skins defensive scheme in the second half was as bad as their first half offensive scheme was good .... I get the idea that it was overcompensation for their inability to run the ball and eat up clock.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Washington still got the Schaub 5 times. For the life of me the OL couldn't seem to figure out Landry on the safety blitz.

Good news is that it took bringing in a safety to get to him.

Also saw Schaub take some hits and get back up, note to rest of league, this isn't the ol "glass" Matt we saw a few seasons ago. This guy is tough.
We completely underused the screen game. Slaton should have gotten some touches.
Old 09-24-2010   #12
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This is a remarkably insightful in-depth piece by a Cowboys writer (SportsDayDFW sports).
I agree - this is one of the best analysis I have ever read.

Something I have noticed by the TV commentators in the two previous games - and again here by writer Bob Sturm - is the recognition being given to Vonta Leach :

Quote:
...Here is the name I want you to know: #44 Vonta Leach. You don't need to know many Fullbacks in the NFL anymore (many teams don't have any) but Leach is awesome in the way he is utilized in their running attack. He takes on your LB at the point of attack and seldom seems to lose...
I don't think there is any doubt that he is building a national reputation.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #13
MarioWrecksIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
I don't think there is any doubt that he is building a national reputation.
Ya, #### the Terminator!!
Old 09-24-2010   #14
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 73223 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks CnD for the read. Really enjoyed it. Couple of great reads in the hyper-links as well.

I MSR also

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #15
bo orlando
Veteran

Rep Power: 1426 bo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

these stats about blitzing are a bit misleading. two of the major goals of blitzing are to force the quarterback and o-line into mistakes and turnovers, and to wear down the quarterback and o-line over the course of the game. i'm sure there's not a d-coordinator in the league who wouldn't trade giving up a few plays for one big interception or sack/fumble, or knocking the opposing quarterback out of the game altogether. obviousl, you have to decide what a favorable trade-off would be for you, meaning how big the plays you're allowing compared to the rewards you're getting, but to just cite an increase in yards-per-play on certain blitzes kind-of misses the point.
bo orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #16
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo orlando View Post
these stats about blitzing are a bit misleading. two of the major goals of blitzing are to force the quarterback and o-line into mistakes and turnovers, and to wear down the quarterback and o-line over the course of the game. i'm sure there's not a d-coordinator in the league who wouldn't trade giving up a few plays for one big interception or sack/fumble, or knocking the opposing quarterback out of the game altogether. obviousl, you have to decide what a favorable trade-off would be for you, meaning how big the plays you're allowing compared to the rewards you're getting, but to just cite an increase in yards-per-play on certain blitzes kind-of misses the point.
I think they're just explaining how it may be foolish to blitz the Texans offense. And that we came back on their blitz happy asses. Yes, you're right about maybe giving up big plays, but timing is everything. Limit your blitzes to the right time and it could win you a game.

Blitzing your guys 50% in the second half is probably a little too much.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #17
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Is this the guy that covers the cowboys for the Dallas Morning News, or is it just a fan blogger who writes for the paper.

If it's the guy who actually covers the cowboys then Big John needs to take some notes.

Well written.
Old 09-24-2010   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 266978 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo orlando View Post
Really they are not misleading nor do they miss the point. The author is not reflecting generally on blitzing he is specifically addressing an individual QB's performance. All QB's face those situations - Schaub and Manning are very good at overcoming them and making the D pay for the gamble.
Old 09-24-2010   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
Is this the guy that covers the cowboys for the Dallas Morning News, or is it just a fan blogger who writes for the paper.

If it's the guy who actually covers the cowboys then Big John needs to take some notes.

Well written.

Bob Sturm is host of BaD Radio on The Ticket 1310 AM Mondays through Fridays at 12-3 p.m. He also hosts The Ticket's Cowboys pregame show.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #20
papashango
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 papashango is a Legendary performerpapashango is a Legendary performerpapashango is a Legendary performerpapashango is a Legendary performerpapashango is a Legendary performerpapashango is a Legendary performerpapashango is a Legendary performerpapashango is a Legendary performerpapashango is a Legendary performerpapashango is a Legendary performerpapashango is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Bob Sturm is host of BaD Radio on The Ticket 1310 AM Mondays through Fridays at 12-3 p.m. He also hosts The Ticket's Cowboys pregame show.
Yea Bob is a Packer fan. Not really a homer Packer fan. He's a realist. So in regards to the Cowboys you won't really see or hear him speak as a fan or as a hater. Just simply a spectator which makes for a good read IMO.
papashango is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read