Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How will Rashard Butler handle the next four weeks?
Duane better watch his back, he may be on the bench in 5 weeks!!!! 6 8.45%
He'll hold his own, and we may not be better off, but won't affect the next four weeks outcomes. 52 73.24%
Not the end of the world, but he could cost us a game or two. 10 14.08%
#9 better be ready to go!!!!!!! 3 4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2010   #1
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How is Rashard Butler gonna do?

There is a lot of talk about Rashard Butler in the "Duane Brown Suspended" thread, but I wanted some pure Rashard talk.

What does everyone think of Rashards few snaps in the regular season, and what he's done in preseason?

I found out a little more about our new LT on Wikipedia. Apparently he was a third rounder for Carolina, but he kept losing weight and was undersized to begin with. He was diagnosed with colidise or something like that not sure of the spelling. After he had that addressed he gained all his weight back.

From what I remember he's about 90% or so of Duane Brown. What's your thoughts.
Old 09-23-2010   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How is Rashard Butler gonna do?

He'll be fine. He just needs some help. Backs and TE's chipping on Ware.
Old 09-23-2010   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
There is a lot of talk about Rashard Butler in the "Duane Bronw Suspended" thread, but I wanted some pure Rashard talk.

What does everythink of Rashards few snaps in the regular season, and what he's done in preseason.

I found out a little more about our new LT on Wikipedia. Apparently he was a third rounder for Carolina, but he kept losing weight and was undersized to begin with. He was diagnosed with colidise or something like that not sure of the spelling. After he had that addressed he gained all his weight back.

From what I remember he's about 90% or so of Duane Brown. What's your thoughts.
Brown can be nasty. He isn't always as physically dominating as he can be, but he certainly has an attitude of a protector and a guy that likes to finish. Brown is also very gifted physically. He gets beat occasionally by the elite rusher, but I think he is a very good LT.

Butler is a guy I believe in. He is highly athletic. I thought he looked amazing in the preseason in 2008 and 2009. This preseason, he looked a little disinterested and stiff. I think he will be solid. He's weaker at the POA than Brown but is better, IMO, on second level back side cut blocking. Watch him on Zone Runs to the right and see how well he gets to the legs of LBs and safeties. He can get bull-rushed by pass rushers. But, overall, he will hold up well and almost never get beat badly. Here's a little article we wrote about him and the tackle situation:

http://www.texansbullblog.com/duane-...e-signed/news/
Old 09-23-2010   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a real concern for me as never been a big fan of Butler. If he holds his own and Schaub does not get run ragged, it is a positive. I think in the next month, fans will have a much higher appreciation of Duane Brown.
Old 09-23-2010   #5
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 56944 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Went with he'll hold his own. Trying to be positive.

Question maybe someone knows.....in practice, are they lining up M Dub against him and letting M Dub go full bore to try and get this cat ready or what is their strategy?

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
Went with he'll hold his own. Trying to be positive.

Question maybe someone knows.....in practice, are they lining up M Dub against him and letting M Dub go full bore to try and get this cat ready or what is their strategy?
As soon as the Texans found out Brown was suspended and not appealing, I'm sure that's exactly what they did. I don't think Brown is even allowed around the facilities at all (Just like Cushing).
Old 09-23-2010   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't see the option I would have chosen which is:

He'll be o.k...Might get beat a few times, but I think the offense will overcome.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2010   #8
devo-x
Veteran

Rep Power: 269 devo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to devo-x

I chose 'Duane better watch his back, he may be on the bench in 5 weeks!!!!'

It's possible, not likely that he takes over the LT position if he's truly the better option
Adopt-A-Texan 2009: Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels
devo-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #9
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 7912 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good news is Cowboys only have 2 sacks in two games.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #10
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

i thought they picked up Ephiram salaam. I feel he's a bit more serviceable than unproven rashard butler.
Old 09-23-2010   #11
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really have a solid opinion of him because I've never seen him play many snaps. All I know is what I read or hear in interviews but I think he'll be alright. He's got his shot to take a spot, that's for sure. If he comes out and shuts guys out for 4 weeks I think he would certainly be deserving, Brown is a good player but his pass blocking isn't all that. If Butler really turns into a dominator I think they should move Brown inside to LG, that would be a disgusting combo on the left side. One can hope.

He fits the physical mold of a LT though. Long arms, quick feet, 300 pound guy. I know he had a problem but if it's fixed and he could get a little heavier (Like 10 pounds not 30) that would be perfect.

I'm hoping for the best and expecting something a little more average.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #12
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans scheme doesn't require him to play lights out. All that
is required, is that he's able to do HIS job WITHIN the o-line UNIT.
He's been here 5 years, in this same scheme.

Rashard will do fine.
Old 09-23-2010   #13
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

If Rashad does really well, people may even start spelling his name correctly.

TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #14
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the position of L tackle is overhyped. You don't need an all-pro LT to protect a quarterback. Offensive lines need to play as a unit and that's where experience comes in over talent. I think the Texans o line has played enough together (with the exception of White) and has been sufficiently coached and has bought into the ZBS.

Butler's going to make mistakes, but Brown makes them too. This is a big set of games for Butler to prove that what Carolina originally thought about him before cutting him without sending him to see a competent doctor first.

IMO he makes an adequate replacement for Brown and with some help from Salaam the team won't notice the difference.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #15
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I think the position of L tackle is overhyped. You don't need an all-pro LT to protect a quarterback. Offensive lines need to play as a unit and that's where experience comes in over talent. I think the Texans o line has played enough together (with the exception of White) and has been sufficiently coached and has bought into the ZBS.

Butler's going to make mistakes, but Brown makes them too. This is a big set of games for Butler to prove that what Carolina originally thought about him before cutting him without sending him to see a competent doctor first.

IMO he makes an adequate replacement for Brown and with some help from Salaam the team won't notice the difference.
Salaam just isn't physically capable of being good. Not in this scheme. He's capable of not letting Matt get killed but that is at the high side of his capabilities. He was okay 2 years ago. He's 2 year older now. The only thing that he could benefit from is that Dennison has the line running some power schemes and Salaam should be better at that.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #16
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post

The LT will regularly match-up against what is usually thought to be the most athletic and talented pass rusher every team has to offer up. Freeney, Allen, Ware, Harrison, Suggs, etc etc all usually match-up on the LT for most of the game. While an elite LT is not a must have for an offense, bear in mind that an LT like Joe Thomas was so damned good his rookie year for the Browns that he got Derek Anderson into the pro bowl. Say that to yourself. Pro Bowl QB Derek Anderson. You think VY would "win as many games" as he does without Michael Roos? Has Peyton Manning's O-line been as good at keeping him clean since Tarrik Glenn retired?

I'm not saying Duane Brown is all world (He isn't), but to discount the entire left tackle position as being not that important is pretty silly. I know Matt Stafford is wishing for a left tackle that isn't a cardboard cut-out when it comes to blocking pass rushers.

I remember Ephraim Salaam when he first came around Houston and he was practically broken in 2007 and 2008. Sure, he can come in for a few snaps and not look completely terrible (I hope) but if he's the starter, Schaub is broken. He may be decent in the run game, but in no way, shape, or form, could he block a Ware, or a Umenyiora, or a Tuck, or whomever. Butler will have to do for 4 games.
Old 09-28-2010   #17
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74835 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just wanted to bring Rashad Butler up.

I thought he played pretty solidly. I didn't see a huge drop off in our blocking, although I am no expert on line play.

Anybody who understands the dark arts of trench warfare want to shed some light on it?
Old 09-28-2010   #18
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

on pass protection he held his own very well, considering the beast he had to go up against.

on a couple of running plays he missed his block on the back end.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #19
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74835 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
on pass protection he held his own very well, considering the beast he had to go up against.

on a couple of running plays he missed his block on the back end.
I wondered if he messed up in the run game because at times there didn't seem to be the cut back lane when we ran right.
Old 09-28-2010   #20
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

According to an interview I heard last night HE thought he played very well. All I know is that Matt got sacked 4 times. Not sure it was all one players fault though, just a nasty day for the OL.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read