Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-23-2010   #1
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Glad I didn't know this on Sunday - FG shoe issues

Justice column link

I know, I know, it is Justice. But he has been pretty reasonable this season about Texans coverage.

I am just glad I had no idea about this (as is Kubiak) on Sunday.

Quote:
We take you now to the sidelines at FedEx Field last Sunday afternoon. Listen in on a chat between Texans special teams coach Joe Marciano and kicker Neil Rackers.
Marciano: "Hey, we're going to kick it on third down. What hash mark do you want (the ball on)?"
Rackers: "I need a shoe."
Marciano: "Come again?"
Rackers: "I blew my shoe out."
Cough. Choke. Gulp.
"You can't print my reaction," Marciano said.
OK, never mind. The Houston Chronicle strives to be a family newspaper. Back to the action.
"I was warming up into the net, and my shoe sole started to pull away from the leather," Rackers said. "I hit one more ball, and my toe was almost shooting out the side of the shoe."
There are a few different ways to kick game-winning field goals, but barefoot isn't Rackers' favorite.
"That was going to be an option if the shoe wasn't out there," Rackers said. "I would have given it a shot. It would have been better than having (the busted) shoe on."
Talk about bad timing. The Texans had clawed and scratched their way from 17 points down to force overtime on an amazing Matt Schaub-to-Andre Johnson touchdown pass.
Now they were positioned to win one of those special games, one that just might have some carryover in terms of confidence and resilience and all those other things coaches love.
As you might recall, the Texans have an unpleasant recent history when it comes to late-game field-goal attempts. Last season, Kris Brown missed kicks that would have forced overtime against the Colts and Titans, and those misses are why Rackers was signed in the first place.
Now, in his first big moment for his new team, he'd suffered the ultimate wardrobe malfunction.
How about those apples, Joe?
"I know one thing," Marciano said, "I wasn't going to go tell the head coach."
more at the link.
Old 09-23-2010   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 186361 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Glad I didn't know this on Sunday - FG shoe issues

You have to ask yourself if a similar incident has happened to you EVER in the past, why wouldn't you routinely have an extra pair of shoes on the bench????????
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #3
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 130870 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

So presumably he'll be kicking against Dallas with a new pair of shoes or at best, the backup pair. Hmmm. Don't really know if that'll be a problem but I do know I don't need any add-on excitement during Houston field goals.
Old 09-23-2010   #4
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
You have to ask yourself if a similar incident has happened to you EVER in the past, why wouldn't you routinely have an extra pair of shoes on the bench????????
two pairs. if it's happened more than once, two reserve pairs.
Old 09-23-2010   #5
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Thats pretty funny! Good read GHF must spread rep!

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #6
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

They are really making too much of this. The Texans had timeouts available in OT, so it's not nearly as much of a 'close call' as they want you to think.
Old 09-23-2010   #7
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 130870 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
They are really making too much of this. The Texans had timeouts available in OT, so it's not nearly as much of a 'close call' as they want you to think.
So a timeout would be enough time for him to feel comfortable kicking barefoot or have a new pair broken in to kick with?
Old 09-23-2010   #8
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
So a timeout would be enough time for him to feel comfortable kicking barefoot or have a new pair broken in to kick with?
He wound up kicking in his spare shoe without having to burn a time out.
Old 09-23-2010   #9
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
He wound up kicking in his spare shoe without having to burn a time out.
Aah. Somehow I didn't see that. Thanks.

EDIT: Apologies, Dutch
Old 09-23-2010   #10
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

That must have been a hell of a competition during preseason and training camp!

Me thinks his warmup routine has to do with it breaking. Hot tubs are hard on shoes.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read