Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-22-2010   #1
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What happens

If Butler plays at a higher level than Brown was playing at for the next 4 wks? I'm very high on Butler and could see this happening.

Last yr I thought moving Brown to LG would've solved the interior OL prblems and was suprised the coaches didn't make the move so they could get their best 5 OL on the field. IMHO

If Butler plays well the next 4 games he could be in line for a big payday this offseason from a team like the Bills or Lions. etc.....
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #2
BullsOnParade
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 282 BullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What happens

Part of me is thinking you're counting your chickens before they hatch, the other part of me is thinking, I hope you're right.
BullsOnParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #3
TexansForTheW
Veteran

Rep Power: 323 TexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If Butler plays at a higher level than Brown was playing at for the next 4 wks? I'm very high on Butler and could see this happening.

Last yr I thought moving Brown to LG would've solved the interior OL prblems and was suprised the coaches didn't make the move so they could get their best 5 OL on the field. IMHO

If Butler plays well the next 4 games he could be in line for a big payday this offseason from a team like the Bills or Lions. etc.....
If Butler plays 4 games and does not give up a sack and the running game continues to be good, then it still won't matter. Duane Brown is our left tackle, and that will not change. Although, I really like that im hearing that Butler has long arms and some quick feet. In his recent interview he talked about technique and if he does that well we shouldn't skip a beat. Something tells me though that Duane is a better athlete and better in run blocking.
TexansForTheW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullsOnParade View Post
Part of me is thinking you're counting your chickens before they hatch, the other part of me is thinking, I hope you're right.
Just trying to stay positive.
Old 09-22-2010   #5
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Is this the last year of Butler's contract?

If so, this could be his opportunity for a big payday.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #6
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Is this the last year of Butler's contract?

If so, this could be his opportunity for a big payday.
IIRC, it is. I think I remember hearing on the radio that this "opportunity" couldn't have come at a better time because this is a contract year for him. It will give him 4 games to show us and the rest of the league what he can do. Personally, I hope the guy shines and shows us that he's the real deal. You're only as strong as your weakest link and if the guy shows us that he has some mad skills, I'd be fine with paying him accordingly and keeping him on the roster.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #7
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

IF Butler plays great then I'd have no problem with him keeping the starting job and moving DB to OG, he'd instantly make Studdard expendable. For that reason alone I'm all for it. The problem though is that the Texans are paying DB LT money and we just signed Wade Smith. Maybe we could move DB to RT and trade Winston, or just trade DB for picks. Either way it's an interesting concept that I'm pretty sure Kubiak isn't even considering.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2010   #8
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
IF Butler plays great then I'd have no problem with him keeping the starting job and moving DB to OG, he'd instantly make Studdard expendable. For that reason alone I'm all for it. The problem though is that the Texans are paying DB LT money and we just signed Wade Smith. Maybe we could move DB to RT and trade Winston, or just trade DB for picks. Either way it's an interesting concept that I'm pretty sure Kubiak isn't even considering.
Why would you trade Winston? I like the guy and think he fits our scheme. What's wrong with having quality starters and quality depth? Why would you want to trade that away if we can afford to keep them? I just don't see "glaring" holes that I'd be willing to trade our starters for right now. JMHO
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Duane brown is still on his rookie contract. 9 million over 5 years iirc. He's cheap for an LT.

Last edited by Dutchrudder; 09-23-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: 5 not 4 years
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #10
Eddie
Rookie

Cool Re: What happens

I think Butler will do a good Job.....everthing happens for a reason....Go TEXANS!!!!
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #11
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78568 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm thinking: exactly. They've been through OTAs, mini-camp and training camp. If Butler was sound enough to bump anyone, he'd already done it. See Wade Smith. I'm just hoping he plays soundly enough to keep Matt upright and out of harm's way for a solid month.

Trade Winston?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #12
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We're not trading Winston. He's probably one of the best RT's in the NFL right now.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #13
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Just looked up Butler's contract status. He signed a one year contract in April so he's a free agent after this season.

That means if he plays well he'll be looking for a starter's contract and he may well get it.

Aw, the kids grow up so fast.....Before you know it they're leaving the nest.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #14
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm all for keeping everyone if Butler plays well, I appreciate quality and depth. The problem is we'd have 6 starters and only 5 starting positions. I doubt the Texans are going to want to pay Brown starting LT money to be a backup OG. At the end of the season Butler would be getting starting LT money as well with a new contract.

I'm pretty sure the point is mute, like drs23 said if Butler was better than Brown he's already had more than enough opportunity to prove it.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #15
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Well maybe he will be the starter ..... if that happens
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I doubt the Texans are going to want to pay Brown starting LT money to be a backup OG.
I don't think this will be an issue or that Brown will be moving but Brown is cheap right now at any of the OL positions since he is on a 5 year $9.1 mil total contract. For comparison, Wade Smith who was by no means guaranteed a starting job is on a 4 year $12 mil contract.
Old 09-23-2010   #17
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Kubiak and co are happy with Duane at LT for the next 10 years with Butler as the swing man.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I think Kubiak and co are happy with Duane at LT for the next 10 years with Butler as the swing man.
If Butler plays well over the next 4 games he will cost way to much $$$$ to be a swing man. What do you do? Pay Butler and move Brown? Or do you give up a starting quality LT? (Butler and get nothing in return)

I'm pretty sure Dallas,Bears,Bills,Lions would be willing to pony up the $$$ to get a starter at the OT position.

This could become a dilema. IMHO
Old 09-23-2010   #19
Jeff S.
Rookie

Rep Power: 42 Jeff S. is a quality contributor and well respectedJeff S. is a quality contributor and well respectedJeff S. is a quality contributor and well respectedJeff S. is a quality contributor and well respectedJeff S. is a quality contributor and well respectedJeff S. is a quality contributor and well respectedJeff S. is a quality contributor and well respectedJeff S. is a quality contributor and well respectedJeff S. is a quality contributor and well respectedJeff S. is a quality contributor and well respectedJeff S. is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just hoping Butler can keep Schaub from getting killed this coming Sunday. And block a little for Arian while he's at it.
Jeff S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If Butler plays well over the next 4 games he will cost way to much $$$$ to be a swing man. What do you do? Pay Butler and move Brown? Or do you give up a starting quality LT? (Butler and get nothing in return)

I'm pretty sure Dallas,Bears,Bills,Lions would be willing to pony up the $$$ to get a starter at the OT position.

This could become a dilema. IMHO
Not sure where all these grandiose assertions about money are coming from. Playing well is one thing but unless Butler comes in and looks like the 2nd coming of Boselli he isn't going to get a $50 mil contract offer.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read