Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 09-22-2010   #1
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 75856 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default BUM on 610 right now

Man......I'm almost getting a tear to my eye listening to BUM right now. I know he is getting old and it is great to hear his voice, but he sounds very frail and he is clearly having some issues.

He made a comment that he thought the Cowboys vs Texans game was today. He also had a bad cough/throat thing while on the air.

Anyway, just makes me remember him and the good old days. I mean, he's 87 I know but it just sucks to hear him like that.

Hail to you BUM....you were one of the good guys man!

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BUM on 610 right now

Thanks for posting. It's going to be a sad, sad day when he goes home!
Old 09-22-2010   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You know what Reliant Park "needs" don't you? A Bronze statue of Bum Phillips and Earl Campbell together. Bum in his cowboy hat* with Earl in uniform standing beside him with his helmet off. Both of them looking like the would on the sideline would be perfect.

That needs to happen.

*Yes, I know he never wore it inside the dome but the statue would be outside, ergo the hat would be appropriate.
Old 09-22-2010   #4
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
You know what Reliant Park "needs" don't you? A Bronze statue of Bum Phillips and Earl Campbell together. Bum in his cowboy hat* with Earl in uniform standing beside him with his helmet off. Both of them looking like the would on the sideline would be perfect.

That needs to happen.

*Yes, I know he never wore it inside the dome but the statue would be outside, ergo the hat would be appropriate.
I agree but don't see it happening.
Unfortunately that team is now the Tacks...
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #5
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Thanks for posting. It's going to be a sad, sad day when he goes home!
Let's enjoy that jarhead while he's still with us.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #6
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That needs to happen.

I say you should start a petition.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 123205 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
I say you should start a petition.
I agree
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2010   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That needs to happen.

I support this!!
Old 09-22-2010   #9
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas T View Post

Bum Phillips and Earl Campbell were NEVER Titans!!! Please don't insult them!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #10
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Bum Phillips and Earl Campbell were NEVER Titans!!! Please don't insult them!!
Please don't get me wrong-I know that and I'm sure they would never approve of the team in Tennessee.

My point was that unfortunately I wouldn't count on them getting a statue at Reliant stadium because they were never Texans-they were part of the organization that is now in Tennessee.

I would never, never put them in a Tack uniform.

There was absolutely no insult meant and I humbly appologize to Bum and Earl if there was any doubt of where they belong-in HOUSTON OILERS BLUE!!!!
Old 09-22-2010   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As long as logos aren't involved it's a non-issue. Obscure the logo on the helmet and the rest is easy. Bud Adams doesn't own either of their likenesses nor does he own the number "34".

As long as the thing doesn't say "Oilers" on it we're good.

Start a petition eh? That sounds like fun.
Old 09-22-2010   #12
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Quote:
As long as logos aren't involved it's a non-issue. Obscure the logo on the helmet and the rest is easy. Bud Adams doesn't own either of their likenesses nor does he own the number "34".

If that's the case-I'm in. (someone will have to sign for me but I completely endorse this)
Old 09-22-2010   #13
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Please don't get me wrong-I know that and I'm sure they would never approve of the team in Tennessee.

My point was that unfortunately I wouldn't count on them getting a statue at Reliant stadium because they were never Texans-they were part of the organization that is now in Tennessee.

I would never, never put them in a Tack uniform.

There was absolutely no insult meant and I humbly appologize to Bum and Earl if there was any doubt of where they belong-in HOUSTON OILERS BLUE!!!!
I was really just teasin ya a little anyway!! We all know Bum and Earl are 100% HOUSTON!! They are legends, and something needs to be done to honor them. It's a great idea.
Old 09-22-2010   #14
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
I was really just teasin ya a little anyway!! We all know Bum and Earl are 100% HOUSTON!! They are legends, and something needs to be done to honor them. It's a great idea.
I gotcha, I just wanted to set the score straight. No misinterpretations here...Love me some Campbell (the RB not the soup).
Old 09-22-2010   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:

Easy. Earl could be holding his helmet under his arm. No Oilers logo.

Problem sol-ved!

The City of Houston and all professional teams here should retire the #34 (although the Astros and Rockets already have)..

Seriously though, the #34 should never be worn again!!
Old 09-22-2010   #16
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Easy. Earl could be holding his helmet under his arm. No Oilers logo.

Problem sol-ved!

The City of Houston and all professional teams here should retire the #34 (although the Astros and Rockets already have)..

Seriously though, the #34 should never be worn again!!
I endorse this too!!
Old 09-22-2010   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

I just sent an email to John McClain at the Chronicle. I think that his thoughts on this would valuable. He knows so many people with the Texans, the old Oilers, and with Harris County. I just asked him where he would begin this process and who he would get in touch with first if he wanted to try to get something like this done.

I'll post his answer to me if I get one (I expect I will, he's been very good about answering things I've emailed him in the past). Who knows, maybe he'll mention the idea in his blog or somewhere in the Chronicle. In the meantime I'm going to start an online petition. It seems kind of futile to me (I don't know how seriously anyone takes those) but it might help to gauge interest in this. When I figure out how to do that I'll post a link to it as well.

Last edited by Hervoyel; 09-22-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #18
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 75856 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd totally be down with the idea! It would be about time too and it would be easy enough to keep it so that Satan err Bud up in possum hollar couldn't say jack about it.

Also, this would be the perfect middle finger to him just like he likes to throw around.

While we're on the subject, I think there should be some kind of tribute to Moon too. Just an aside.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #19
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
While we're on the subject, I think there should be some kind of tribute to Moon too. Just an aside.

Oh GAWD!!! Here we go again. I will NEVER sign any petition that has anything to do with trying to make Warren Moon a saint!! SOOOO, if one is started for Bum and Earl, leave Moom off or I won't sign it, and I'll do everything I know to keep it from getting anywhere!!
Old 09-22-2010   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

And that petition can be found here (I seriously hope I didn't misspell anything or otherwise screw this up)

http://www.petitiononline.com/PHILLIPS/petition.html

Umm, "spread the word"?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read