Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-22-2010   #1
PockyAF
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3089 PockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Power Rankings - Week 2/3

The Texans, on an average, are holding the #3 spot.

Bleacher Report - #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean E. Douglas
Sure, this franchise hasn’t been to the playoffs before, but it clearly looks like this is the season they will break through. At this time, they have the Colts’ number and are the favorite to win the AFC South early on. I would feel better about ranking them at this spot if they continue to improve in the secondary.
ESPN - #3(7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN's Analysts
The Houston Texans enter the penthouse floors at No. 3, the franchise's peak in ESPN.com's NFL Power Rankings dating to the 2002 season. The Texans' road victory over the Washington Redskins impressed our experts, who elevated the club four spots. The Texans are hot on the heels of the New Orleans Saints and Green Bay Packers, who hold the Nos. 1 and 2 rungs, respectively.
Fox Sports - #4(7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Caplan
What an unbelievable road win at Washington. They really had no business winning that game, but give them credit for an amazing comeback. We'll see how good their defense really is at home this week against the talented Dallas offense.
CBS Sports - #3(13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Prisco
That victory at Washington is the kind of game that the Texans lose in the past. That offense makes them a threat every Sunday. Now they can win the state of Texas by beating Dallas.
USAToday - #4

SBNation - #3(9)

Power rankings sure are fun to look at when your team is doing so well.
PockyAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #2
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Power Rankings - Week 2

I really feel that these are a bit high.

Until we show we can stop someone's passing attack we are vulnerable if our Offense doesn't produce big numbers.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

My top 5 would be:

1. Green Bay
2. New Orleans
3. Pittsburgh
4. Indianapolis
5. Houston
Old 09-22-2010   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I really feel that these are a bit high.

Until we show we can stop someone's passing attack we are vulnerable if our Offense doesn't produce big numbers.
I agree with you. I think the rankings are bit too high also and for similar reasons. Giving up 800+ yards through the air in two games says anything but power.
Old 09-22-2010   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

However you rank Indy and Houston, it's gonna be a tough game on that Monday night. I just happened to notice that Indy and Houston have the same bye week, so both of us have an extra week to prepare for that Monday night game.

It's gonna be a killer game!!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I understand that we're ranked a little high right now. I view it as "compensation" for more than a few times when I felt that the various power rankings had us behind teams we'd either beaten or had a better record than. This is all just food for mid-week debate so it doesn't matter. Somebody is always ranked higher than they should be or lower than they should be.

If we beat Dallas we'll get another little push up. That will be particularly true if Pittsburgh finally drops one due to their QB situation. For some reason even when they're bad the Cowboys seem to be given more credit than they deserve and beating them, even when they're bad will carry more weight than it should.

Moot point of course if we don't take care of our business and lose to them. I still have more concern over this game than either of the previous two.
Old 09-22-2010   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I understand that we're ranked a little high right now. I view it as "compensation" for more than a few times when I felt that the various power rankings had us behind teams we'd either beaten or had a better record than. This is all just food for mid-week debate so it doesn't matter. Somebody is always ranked higher than they should be or lower than they should be.

If we beat Dallas we'll get another little push up. That will be particularly true if Pittsburgh finally drops one due to their QB situation. For some reason even when they're bad the Cowboys seem to be given more credit than they deserve and beating them, even when they're bad will carry more weight than it should.

Moot point of course if we don't take care of our business and lose to them. I still have more concern over this game than either of the previous two.
Dallas is going to be even more difficult than Washington, simply because it's Dallas. Add in that the Cowpatties are 0-2 and they HAVE to get their act togeather right now, or their season is toast. Dallas will come out swinging, this will not be an easy game as some might like to say.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2010   #8
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Dallas is going to be even more difficult than Washington, simply because it's Dallas. Add in that the Cowpatties are 0-2 and they HAVE to get their act togeather right now, or their season is toast. Dallas will come out swinging, this will not be an easy game as some might like to say.
I don't really think anyone here sees it any different.
But, are they really as good as people still say they are??

That being said I see a close Texans victory ala the 'skins game minus overtime.
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

We're at home with what will probably be the loudest crowd weve ever had.

Thats a big advantage comared to being in Washington
Old 09-22-2010   #10
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
But I like Kubiak's ground game. Gary will take Dallass to the mat and go for the early submission with a rear naked choke.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #11
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Did anyone else notice the unbalanced number of AFC teams towards the top? ESPN has 7 AFC teams in the top 10, BleacherR has 8 of top 10, CBS has 6. Just seems a bit dumb to me considering only 6 can make the playoffs from each conference.
Old 09-22-2010   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Did anyone else notice the unbalanced number of AFC teams towards the top? ESPN has 7 AFC teams in the top 10, BleacherR has 8 of top 10, CBS has 6. Just seems a bit dumb to me considering only 6 can make the playoffs from each conference.
Interestingly, we're the #1 team in the AFC as of their power rankings
Old 09-22-2010   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's not an odds of making the playoffs list it is a ranking of who is better. No reason for that to be even between the conferences.
Old 09-22-2010   #14
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think they take conference into consideration when they come up with this stuff. I also think it's funny they put these lists together so early in the season. The reality of it all though is it doesn't matter whatsoever, this is the NFL not the BCS so I try not to put any stock in it.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #15
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Dallas was an 11-5 team last year and won a playoff game. If they ever get their heads out of their asses, they can make it back there.

We really have to come out on Sunday ready to play, Dallas is a cornered animal right now and will come out swinging.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #16
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd much rather Dallas have the same unbeated record right now as we do rather than a winless record, which makes this game clearly more important to them than us. And now we've had this "little" distraction with Duane Brown, not to mention a fall off in talent and experience at the all important LT position with Marcus Ware coming in, this Sunday is gonna be tough for the Texans. Real tough. Everybody just remember it's a long season, 16 games to the playoffs, and we are bound to lose some games, several of them for sure. Many had us at 0-2 right now, so were're in good shape, probably ahead of schedule.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #17
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I'd much rather Dallas have the same unbeated record right now as we do rather than a winless record, which makes this game clearly more important to them than us. And now we've had this "little" distraction with Duane Brown, not to mention a fall off in talent and experience at the all important LT position with Marcus Ware coming in, this Sunday is gonna be tough for the Texans. Real tough. Everybody just remember it's a long season, 16 games to the playoffs, and we are bound to lose some games, several of them for sure. Many had us at 0-2 right now, so were're in good shape, probably ahead of schedule.

F*ck that, we need to be kicking ass and taking names, no excuses!
Old 09-22-2010   #18
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
So what you're saying is that this is their Superbowl...
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #19
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas T View Post
So what you're saying is that this is their Superbowl...
Oh, my. THAT IS FUNNY, T.

I don't want to make too much of these power rankings. These are the same people who prop the guys up as playoff contenders, and conveniently forget all about them once they lose a game they probably shouldn't. Still, I say 31-14 Texans on Sunday.
Old 09-22-2010   #20
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I agree with you. I think the rankings are bit too high also and for similar reasons. Giving up 800+ yards through the air in two games says anything but power.
Yeah, but giving up 62 yards (2.3 yds per attempt) on the ground over the same two games does.

It may be old school, but I still think run and stop the run is a good recipe for success.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read