Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-24-2005   #41
pat
Rookie

Default just a suggestion...

Instead of concentrating on the defense, the Texans need to concentrate on the offense because THEY'RE not doing their job. They are not protecting our QB and someone please please catch the FREAKIN BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And another suggestion..........KEEP JAMIE!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by pat; 03-24-2005 at 12:22 AM.
pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #42
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

The offense is young and still growing. they will be better every year.

the defense is old and deteriorating.. if we dont add new talent now, they will suck for years to come.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #43
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
to recap.

hes 6 million against the cap

hes 31 years old

this is the last year he is under contract and he will be an FA next season

if we dont trade him this offseason, he will not be resigned next season and we wont get anything for him

we are rebuilding our LBs to gain more speed and pass rush capability

he doesnt want to play here anymore
Half of the fans in Houston read this and say, "what's his point?"
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #44
jags98
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
to recap.

hes 6 million against the cap

hes 31 years old

this is the last year he is under contract and he will be an FA next season

if we dont trade him this offseason, he will not be resigned next season and we wont get anything for him

we are rebuilding our LBs to gain more speed and pass rush capability

he doesnt want to play here anymore
Sounds a lot like DD.
jags98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #45
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
Does anyone know what the cap # for a franchise tagged LB is?
The 2005 franchise number for LB's is $5.9 mil.
Old 03-24-2005   #46
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
The 2005 franchise number for LB's is $5.9 mil.
So, if we feel Sharper plays well enough next year and is worth his $6M, then we could always tag him and either trade him next offseason or have him come back in 2006...
Old 03-24-2005   #47
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat
Instead of concentrating on the defense, the Texans need to concentrate on the offense because THEY'RE not doing their job. They are not protecting our QB and someone please please catch the FREAKIN BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And another suggestion..........KEEP JAMIE!!!!!!!!!!!

catch the ball ?? We really had very little drops this season, i mean ya think we're bad you'd die if you were a seahaws fan, they had more dropped passes than hassle back had throwng attemps (sarcasim) ! Our offense is not really that bad, i feel we need to start fixing the defense now, cause if we dont it will be a major weakness in 2-3 years !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2005   #48
dagr8whitehope
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to dagr8whitehope
Default true

i totally agree with you, the offense is only 1 o-lineman and a decent receiver away from being a threat every sunday. The defense, on the other hand has at least 5 starters who are on the wrong side of 30 or getting there, including 2 lineman, a linebacker, and 2 d-backs. the rookies are the bright spots in the defense right now and we need to continue to build upon that talent. I like the addition of greenwood and the other ILB's that have signed. I say if we can get a good draft pick for jamie, then do it. i don't see the Texans using a franchise tag on him or re-signing him at his age. the fact is peek needs to get a chance to play full-time based on what we've seen from him thus far in his career. he could be the playmaker that the defense is missing. Unless of course, D.J. pops up at 13, in which case peek will see another year on the bench. At any rate, this defense could use a playmaker on the d-line and in the linebacking corps, seeing as the majority of them are in the defensive backfield. That's all i have for now, take it easy everybody.
Old 03-25-2005   #49
sulli60
Rookie

I've always like Jamie Sharper and sport his blue #55 jersey at most games (battle red #80 on some), but it may be time to part ways.

I'd love to either get a 3rd round pick or maybe use Jamie on a draft day trade to move up spots in the 2nd round. It may depend on how the draft goes and which teams are ahead of us at certain spots. There are some 3-4 defensive teams ahead of us who could use a veteran ILB.
sulli60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #50
mean mark8
Veteran

I know I'm likely in the minority here but I've never felt that Sharper has been an impact player. I think he's kind of like Scottie Pippen was with Michael Jordan. Alongside Jordan, Pippen looked great but when he was without him he was simply and overpaid average player. Sharper looked great when he played beside Ray Lewis, but with us he rarely if ever looks great. Our defensive scheme is designed to get all of the tackles for the inside linebackers (3-4), so his getting so many tackles is like a Texas Tech QB throwing for lots of yards. Only thing about Sharper is 85-90% of his tackles occur with the ball-carrier getting at least 5 or so yards. That's why we have been the worst or one of the worst defenses on a yards-per-carry average. He dives at everyone and arm tackles letting the ball-carrier drag him forward everytime. There's a new statistic around for RBs called yards after contact. If you look at Sharper's YAC, tackling, the RB gets at least 2 yards each time; that's after he has waited in the hole 2 yards downfield to try to tackle him. This is the reason Sharper didn't make the Pro Bowl last year. He is simply not a disruptive force and definitely not worth $6+ million. Just look at it, we were trying for O. Pace for $7 million. Who would you rather have on the Texans?
mean mark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #51
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean mark8
I know I'm likely in the minority here but I've never felt that Sharper has been an impact player. I think he's kind of like Scottie Pippen was with Michael Jordan. Alongside Jordan, Pippen looked great but when he was without him he was simply and overpaid average player. Sharper looked great when he played beside Ray Lewis, but with us he rarely if ever looks great.
You are right. Sharper is no Ray Lewis. But who is? I love it how everyone is making Sharper the D's scapegoat.

Over the last 3 years Sharper has had 436 total tackles, solo and assisted, 11.5 sacks, 6 forced fumbles, and a TD.

Ray Lewis has had 364 total tackles, solo and assisted, 2.5 sacks, 8 ints, 4 forced fumbles, and zero TD's over the last 3 years.

Quote:
Our defensive scheme is designed to get all of the tackles for the inside linebackers (3-4), so his getting so many tackles is like a Texas Tech QB throwing for lots of yards. Only thing about Sharper is 85-90% of his tackles occur with the ball-carrier getting at least 5 or so yards. That's why we have been the worst or one of the worst defenses on a yards-per-carry average.
We have been roughly in the middle of the pack with yards per carry. 2002 - 4.1, and 2003, and 2004 with 4.4. And Sharper doesnt make every tackle. So you cant say it was his fault a RB got 4-5 yards every play.

Quote:
He dives at everyone and arm tackles letting the ball-carrier drag him forward everytime. There's a new statistic around for RBs called yards after contact. If you look at Sharper's YAC, tackling, the RB gets at least 2 yards each time; that's after he has waited in the hole 2 yards downfield to try to tackle him. This is the reason Sharper didn't make the Pro Bowl last year. He is simply not a disruptive force and definitely not worth $6+ million. Just look at it, we were trying for O. Pace for $7 million. Who would you rather have on the Texans?
Where did you get Sharpers YAC tacking stat?
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #52
tacoman_j
Veteran

Default Lenny P

Those teams (like Cincinnati) waiting for the Houston Texans to simply release veteran linebacker Jamie Sharper might turn blue holding their breath. Yeah, Texans officials have granted Sharper permission to seek possible trade scenarios. No, the Texans won't just give Sharper away. In fact, they might hang on to the eight-year veteran until after the draft, if necessary, because they want something in return for him. Sharper is still a productive, if somewhat limited, defender. He still makes plays against the run and led the Texans in tackles -- his 177 stops were 75 more than the Houston runner-up -- in 2004. Some team would be wise to surrender a middle-round draft choice now for Sharper so that he could participate in minicamps.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...=2021162&num=0
tacoman_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #53
mean mark8
Veteran

I'm saying Sharper is like Scottie Pippen was w/ Jordan. He needs a stud to take pressure off of him. BTW, Ray Lewis only played in 5 games in 2002, that's why his total tackles are less than Sharper's; he also had a touchdown in 2003. Here are their numbers:

Ray Lewis: G Tk Solo Ast Sk Int Yd Avg Lg Td PsDf
2002 Baltimore Ravens 5 57 42.0 15 0 2 4 2.0 4 0 1
2003 Baltimore Ravens 16 161 120.0 41 1.5 6 99 16.5 37 1 7
2004 Baltimore Ravens 15 146 100.0 46 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 5
Avg 10.1/G 7.3+2.8/G

Sharper
2002 Houston Texans 16 135 95.0 40 5.5 0 0 0.0 0 0 9
2003 Houston Texans 16 164 105.0 59 4 0 0 0.0 0 0 3
2004 Houston Texans 16 137 96.0 41 2 0 0 0.0 0 0 6
Avg 9.1/G 6.2+2.9/G

There is no official defensive stat for YAC, just watch the difference in how Ray Lewis blows a ball-carrier up and Sharper gets dragged everytime.

I guarantee you that no defense in the league is happy with giving up over 4 yards a carry. The Texans aren't and that's why they are making a change. I'm not saying that Sharper is the sole reason, and note they are likely going to have an entirely different starting LB corp to prove it. If Sharper is such a how commodity, why aren't there any takers for a trade? Why was he over-looked in 2003 for the Pro Bowl? Alan Burge wrote an article (I believe in the Houston Chronicle but I'm having trouble finding a link to it) where he quoted Tony Dungy saying that the Texans defense lacked team speed. Seems to me, the Texans are taking notice.
mean mark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #54
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

well i'm hoping GreeWood will give us the speed at ILB to blow holes and dissrupt things a little more than last season !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005   #55
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm saying Sharper is like Scottie Pippen was w/ Jordan. He needs a stud to take pressure off of him. BTW, Ray Lewis only played in 5 games in 2002, that's why his total tackles are less than Sharper's; he also had a touchdown in 2003. Here are their numbers...
I don't think anybody has said that Sharper is anywhere near the same level as Ray Lewis...If they did, they need a serious reality check...Replacing Sharper is the best thing for this team...We're trying to add speed, and he just doesn't have it...He doesn't seal up the LOS either...

Quote:
I guarantee you that no defense in the league is happy with giving up over 4 yards a carry. The Texans aren't and that's why they are making a change. I'm not saying that Sharper is the sole reason, and note they are likely going to have an entirely different starting LB corp to prove it. If Sharper is such a how commodity, why aren't there any takers for a trade? Why was he over-looked in 2003 for the Pro Bowl? Alan Burge wrote an article (I believe in the Houston Chronicle but I'm having trouble finding a link to it) where he quoted Tony Dungy saying that the Texans defense lacked team speed. Seems to me, the Texans are taking notice.
I agree with your points here...It's obvious we want a younger, faster group of LBs and that leaves Jamie out in the cold...Oh and isn't Alan Burge "aj.." from off of these forums?

Last edited by D-ReK; 03-26-2005 at 09:46 AM.
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005   #56
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Alan Burge is aj. You can find his stuff here on this site as he writes the, "voice of the fan" articles.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005   #57
ItsDavidCarr
waterboy

Talking

Forget about Sharper, What about me?!?!?!?!?! I'm handsome and willing to travel. I could learn alot from that Peyton Manning guy. Send me there!
ItsDavidCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005   #58
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

LOOK PEOPLE ITS SIMPLE. Sharper was the steward of the defense through our infancy. He guided us through the murky waters of expansionism now its time to cut the cord and move on. Does anyone truly beliveve his production is going to increase now that he is on the wrong side of 30? I'd like to think so but i doubt it.

Sharper has played his last game as a Texan, lets hope whoever gets the job carries on the tradition.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005   #59
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
Does anyone truly beliveve his production is going to increase now that he is on the wrong side of 30? I'd like to think so but i doubt it.
Age has NOTHING to do with his production right now. So get over the fact that he is 30.

Tedy Bruschi 31
Willie McGinest 33
Rosevelt Colvin 27
Roman Phifer 36

Jamie Sharper 30
Jason Babin 24
Kailee Wong 28
Morlon GreenWood 26

Age is not a factor just yet.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005   #60
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
Age has NOTHING to do with his production right now. So get over the fact that he is 30.

Tedy Bruschi 31
Willie McGinest 33
Rosevelt Colvin 27
Roman Phifer 36

Jamie Sharper 30
Jason Babin 24
Kailee Wong 28
Morlon GreenWood 26

Age is not a factor just yet.
I think the point is, Sharper will be 31 November 23rd. Evidently Casserly does not think he will earn his cap figure this year. If we don't trade him now, he is gone with nothing to show for it. His comments about needing some one to lead the team probably did not help his cause. IMO
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read