Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Maybe we will get something for Sharper now.

bleh.. ok now im confused.. apparently that is an old news post.. but in the other thread on this a recent news post has been posted.. and the bengals dont have a compensatory pick in it.

(but didnt they lose Corey Dillon? is that news post accurate?)

Cincy doesn't have a compensatory pick, but Seattle does :hmmm:...

Weren't they rumored to be interested in Sharper?

I was hoping he would shop around and start to realize the Texans long-term offer was not that far off-base. Sharper has one more year on the contract. Six possible scenarios.

1. He is traded and we get some value
2. He is released and we get nothing.
3. He plays well for us next year (contract year) and gets a big contract from us.
4. He plays well and signs with another team the following year
5. He plays poorly next year and we resign him to a contract that reflects his current play.
6. He plays poorly next year and we don't resign.

The way I see it is we have a 50/50 chance of getting something.

To me it's better to trade or release a guy after he already knows how much you want, need, or will pay for him. Jamie has never been labeled a locker room disruption by anybody, but when it comes down to $$$, power, & respect, it has a way of ruffling a mans' feathers! UNLESS HIS CHARACTER IS UNREAL! :thumbup

I wouldn't mind keeoing him for another year, but I still think it's likely that he'll be included in a draft day deal (either for a third rounder or packaged with our second rounder to move back up into the first)...

I just hope we don't release him, because I have a horrible fear he might end up at Indy. Freeney+Sharper=a defense of sorts. Not what we want.

Your fears won't be realized...Indy doesn't have the money to sign Sharper if we released him (unless Jamie was just Hell-bent on playing for them and took the vet minimum)...

If we let Sharper go we would have a bunch of cash under the cap right. I saw how the Vikings found a loophole in the system where they gave a guy an incentive worth millions that he could never reach and since he didn't get it that amount of money went towards this years cap. That's partly how I think they had $31 mil to sign guys with. Pretty slick maybe since we are probably another year away from making a championship run we could do something similar and sign a huge free agent next year that could put us over the top and count a chunk of his signing bonus against next year's cap if we wanted to and avoid cap trouble down the road. Sound like a decent idea or did I read something way wrong?

id like to keep sharper, but i find that very unlikly since we have greenwood, and have picked up 2 other ILB ! Jamie is a play maker and i'll miss him if he goes :( !!!

TexansTrueFan said:
id like to keep sharper, but i find that very unlikly since we have greenwood, and have picked up 2 other ILB ! Jamie is a play maker and i'll miss him if he goes :( !!!

Just curious, but why does every one of your posts have at least one exclamation point in it?

Oh, and IMO the chance of Jamie Sharper still being a Houston Texan on the night of 4/23/2005 is about 1/100...Anyone care to take bets?

all i know is that we wont release him, it would be a huge hit against us in the cap, and we would get nothin except losing one of our best defenders. i dont want him to go, but if he does, then get something, anything for him

THEFUTURE said:
all i know is that we wont release him, it would be a huge hit against us in the cap, and we would get nothin except losing one of our best defenders. i dont want him to go, but if he does, then get something, anything for him

Actually releasing Sharper would result in freeing up $4.75 mil of cap space--$6.1 mil cap charge if retained-$1.325 of remaining prorated signing bonus. Personally I don't think allowing him to look for a trade means he will be released if no trade is forthcoming, but it does free up a sizeable piece of cap room.

I think he will be a draft day trade. I would like to keep him, but the benefit-cost does not seem to match to the Texans. So I hope we get some kind of compensation.

They can't be dissappointed in his performance. We need more production out of the rest the linebackers. Now they have signed few linebackes paired with Peek should increase production out of the rest the linebackes. However the additional performance will be nullified when they remove Sharper. The Texans are not is salary cap hell or anything. I just do not understand why they are begging to get rid of him?

done88 said:
They can't be dissappointed in his performance. We need more production out of the rest the linebackers. Now they have signed few linebackes paired with Peek should increase production out of the rest the linebackes. However the additional performance will be nullified when they remove Sharper. The Texans are not is salary cap hell or anything. I just do not understand why they are begging to get rid of him?

He's on the wrongside of 30 and has lost a step...We want to add speed to our LB corps and Sharper, while still solid against the run, Sharper's coverage skills may wane as he gets older...He's been good while he's been here, there's no denying that, but it just seems like the organization wants to go in a separate direction...

The fact of the matter is he has said he does not want to be here next season. He wants to either be released or traded. He has said this in interviews.

Now.. is he just saying that and doesnt really feel that way? I dont know.. but personally id rather find someone who will take him for a 3rd or 4th rounder.. even a 5th rounder. Get something for him now because we will lose him anyway next season and I think we can get by without him this season.

What is with all of the people saying "KEEP JAMIE"...if he does not want to play here why would we want him here. Fact is we will probably get next to nothing for him and that is IF we don't have to release him...

I'll say this.. year 4 the Texans want to reach the playoffs.. If we don't have an equal or upgrade of Jamie Sharper (which I don't think has slipped as far as most people make out ..not like Walker)...sharper stays... It isn't like we are in Cap Hades here.. esp for one more year.. Yes, I don't wan't to see him leave for nothing.. We find a decent trade for him this year... I think we trade him..if not he stays.. I will be suprised if we just release him. Maybe he said he doesn't want to be here.. but he still works for the Texans and not vice versa.
and I think he has enough professionalism not to "dog it" this season

I agree I hate to see him go, he has been here since the beginning and always seems to give 110%, but I am having doubts he will be with us next season..

one thing to think about is this...If Sharper stays, he might have his best year. The reason why I say this is because he will be an UFA after next season and most vets seem to have their best seasons in contract years. The better they do in a contract year, the more options they will have and the more teams that will be interested in them.

Wolf said:
and I think he has enough professionalism not to "dog it" this season

And professionalism aside, his last season here would be a job interview for his last NFL contract. Keep him and disgruntled or not he will play to his best ability because it is for his last pay day.

Grid said:
The fact of the matter is he has said he does not want to be here next season. He wants to either be released or traded. He has said this in interviews.

Now.. is he just saying that and doesnt really feel that way? I dont know.. but personally id rather find someone who will take him for a 3rd or 4th rounder.. even a 5th rounder. Get something for him now because we will lose him anyway next season and I think we can get by without him this season.

WHERE has he said that???? I want a link!

rittenhouserobz said:
He may not want to, but if he has to then I think he will play his heart out.

On a side note, I was watching Local 2 last night and they were showing the guys working out, except one. Guess Jamie refuses to work out now.

May have to just break down and pay that $6 to get on his website. If nothing else to send him an email and ask WTF? :hmmm:

Walker cost a lot of money and he is really on the downside of his career, I mean when was the last time he led us in something. Yeah I forgot too. I like Sharper, but if he can be used to go up in the second and grab a quality interior LINEMAN or LB. That might be worth it. Naw it likely would not pay off for another 2 years.

to recap.

hes 6 million against the cap

hes 31 years old

this is the last year he is under contract and he will be an FA next season

if we dont trade him this offseason, he will not be resigned next season and we wont get anything for him

we are rebuilding our LBs to gain more speed and pass rush capability

he doesnt want to play here anymore

Does anyone know what the cap # for a franchise tagged LB is?

I know it's unlikely, but if we keep Sharper and he plays well next year, we could always tag him and maintain our leverage we have with him...

Instead of concentrating on the defense, the Texans need to concentrate on the offense because THEY'RE not doing their job. They are not protecting our QB and someone please please catch the FREAKIN BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And another suggestion..........KEEP JAMIE!!!!!!!!!!!

The offense is young and still growing. they will be better every year.

the defense is old and deteriorating.. if we dont add new talent now, they will suck for years to come.

Grid said:
to recap.

hes 31 years old

if we dont trade him this offseason, he will not be resigned next season and we wont get anything for him

Half of the fans in Houston read this and say, "what's his point?"

Grid said:
to recap.

hes 31 years old

Sounds a lot like DD.

infantrycak said:
The 2005 franchise number for LB's is $5.9 mil.

So, if we feel Sharper plays well enough next year and is worth his $6M, then we could always tag him and either trade him next offseason or have him come back in 2006...

pat said:
Instead of concentrating on the defense, the Texans need to concentrate on the offense because THEY'RE not doing their job. They are not protecting our QB and someone please please catch the FREAKIN BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And another suggestion..........KEEP JAMIE!!!!!!!!!!!

catch the ball ?? We really had very little drops this season, i mean ya think we're bad you'd die if you were a seahaws fan, they had more dropped passes than hassle back had throwng attemps (sarcasim) ! Our offense is not really that bad, i feel we need to start fixing the defense now, cause if we dont it will be a major weakness in 2-3 years !

i totally agree with you, the offense is only 1 o-lineman and a decent receiver away from being a threat every sunday. The defense, on the other hand has at least 5 starters who are on the wrong side of 30 or getting there, including 2 lineman, a linebacker, and 2 d-backs. the rookies are the bright spots in the defense right now and we need to continue to build upon that talent. I like the addition of greenwood and the other ILB's that have signed. I say if we can get a good draft pick for jamie, then do it. i don't see the Texans using a franchise tag on him or re-signing him at his age. the fact is peek needs to get a chance to play full-time based on what we've seen from him thus far in his career. he could be the playmaker that the defense is missing. Unless of course, D.J. pops up at 13, in which case peek will see another year on the bench. :thumbdown At any rate, this defense could use a playmaker on the d-line and in the linebacking corps, seeing as the majority of them are in the defensive backfield. That's all i have for now, take it easy everybody.

I've always like Jamie Sharper and sport his blue #55 jersey at most games (battle red #80 on some), but it may be time to part ways.

I'd love to either get a 3rd round pick or maybe use Jamie on a draft day trade to move up spots in the 2nd round. It may depend on how the draft goes and which teams are ahead of us at certain spots. There are some 3-4 defensive teams ahead of us who could use a veteran ILB. :boxing:

I know I'm likely in the minority here but I've never felt that Sharper has been an impact player. I think he's kind of like Scottie Pippen was with Michael Jordan. Alongside Jordan, Pippen looked great but when he was without him he was simply and overpaid average player. Sharper looked great when he played beside Ray Lewis, but with us he rarely if ever looks great. Our defensive scheme is designed to get all of the tackles for the inside linebackers (3-4), so his getting so many tackles is like a Texas Tech QB throwing for lots of yards. Only thing about Sharper is 85-90% of his tackles occur with the ball-carrier getting at least 5 or so yards. That's why we have been the worst or one of the worst defenses on a yards-per-carry average. He dives at everyone and arm tackles letting the ball-carrier drag him forward everytime. There's a new statistic around for RBs called yards after contact. If you look at Sharper's YAC, tackling, the RB gets at least 2 yards each time; that's after he has waited in the hole 2 yards downfield to try to tackle him. This is the reason Sharper didn't make the Pro Bowl last year. He is simply not a disruptive force and definitely not worth $6+ million. Just look at it, we were trying for O. Pace for $7 million. Who would you rather have on the Texans?

Back