Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2010   #1
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Tweaking the Defense

Perhaps the title isn't the best, but I couldn't figure out how else to phrase it:

Two things I noticed over anything else yesterday with our defense was our lack of "swarming" and deep coverage. Kareem was abused yesterday, and to a degree that is ok, he is a rookie. He gave up deep bombs but made sure tackles and I can't remember him giving up any YAC's afterwards. My concern here is that one several occasions I noticed there was no safety near the play on the deep bombs, and had he wiffed, I counted probably 2 or 3 plays that would have been TD's.

What that tells me is that either the Texans staff is so high on Kareem they feel they can put him on an island, or that someone (presumably Wilson) is not playing his responsibility entirely correct. Of course, the t.v. angles could also be obscuring things also.

The thing that bothered me the most yesterday was our defense giving up YAC's in general. It seemed as though Washington planned on coming out, throwing the ball quickly, and letting the receivers make the defense miss tackles, which they did. Missed tackles weren't always the thing that bothered me, however, as I did notice our defense a little slow to get to the ball once it was thrown/caught. This resulted in a ton of extra yardage.

I think if we can fix these mistakes we should be fine. Perhaps we can chalk it up to sloppy play after an emotional game, but missed tackles aren't something our defenders are known for.

Did anyone notice anything else I am missing? I felt as though the dline was mostly neutralized by gameplanning, rather than poor play in the first half. Which was evidenced by the greater pressure and sacks on McNabb in the 2nd half and OT.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read