Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2005   #1
Caw Daddy
Rookie

Default this is ridiculous

morlon greenwood, some LB from miami who i know, and you can hold me to this, will never do much for us is going to make more money than some LB(hartwell) from baltimore who made his name known while playing with the likes of ray lewis, peter boulware, ed reed, terrell suggs and chris mcalister.. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON. who really knew anything about greenwood before we signed him?
Caw Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caw Daddy
...who really knew anything about greenwood before we signed him?
Charley Casserly & Dom Capers.
Old 03-21-2005   #3
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I suspect if he is successful and becomes a playmaker for our defense there will be plenty of people coming out of the woodwork exclaiming "I knew it all along! I told you he'd be great!"
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #4
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
morlon greenwood, some LB from miami who i know, and you can hold me to this, will never do much for us is going to make more money than some LB(hartwell) from baltimore who made his name known while playing with the likes of ray lewis, peter boulware, ed reed, terrell suggs and chris mcalister.. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON. who really knew anything about greenwood before we signed him?

BALLGAME! How do you know he won't produce, you got a crystal ball? Since u are the 2nd coming of miss cleo...tell me the Rockets finishing record along with the Astros.

But since u brought it up....Greenwood is a nice LB, very underrated. Hartwell is nice too, that said though, he's post-Ray Lewis production worries me.
Old 03-21-2005   #5
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

just to clear this up...greenwood is NOT making more money than hartwell...greenwood's contract is for 22.5 million and hartwell's is 26.5 million

Last edited by keyfro; 03-21-2005 at 04:39 PM.
keyfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
just to clear this up...greenwood is NOT making more money than hartwell...greenwood's contract is for 22.5 million and hartwell's is 26.5 million...do your research before you start blasting people
Actually Greenwoods 22.5 mil contract is for 5 years. An average of 4.5 million a year. 7 mil signing bonus.

Hartwell is at 26.25 mil a year. 4.375 million a year. 8 mil signing bonus.

Im going to wait until after a season or two to make a decision on who was a better signing.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #7
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think part of his point is that Hartwell comes from a 3-4 defense and has played very well in it. Greenwood comes from a 4-3 and is relatively unknown. The contract difference between the 2 doesn't amount to a whole lot. My guess is Greenwood has more speed which is what we are after but is it enough to justify the contract we gave him? We will have to wait and see I suppose. Greenwood was drafted 88th in 2001 and Hartwell was drafted 126th the same draft.

I don't agree with Caw Daddy though. I think Greenwood will most likely excel in our 3-4 defense.

Pro Summary: Hartwell

Chosen by Sports Illustrated as the NFL’s best LB to stuff the run on 4th-and-inches plays, Hartwell is a throwback who can fight through the blocks of the G and C…Finished 2nd on the team with 140 tackles, and added 3 sacks, 5 PDs, 2 FFs and 1 INT in 2003…Led the team with 191 tackles in 2002, becoming the only player other than Ray Lewis to lead the team in tackles in franchise history…Hard-nosed player who enjoyed a breakout season in 2002…Named AFC Player of the Week after he led the team with 15 tackles in a 13-12 win over Tennessee in game 11…Saw action in 16 games and 2 postseason games in 2001…Recorded 9 total special teams tackles…Selected by the Ravens as their 4th-round pick (126th overall) in the 2001 NFL Draft.

PRO:Greenwood

Quick, athletic and versatile linebacker who excels sideline to sideline…also possesses tremendous coverage skills for a ‘backer…signed by the Texans as an unrestricted free agent on 3/3/05 after four solid seasons in Miami…looking to transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense…coming off a career year in 2004, one in which he started 15 games and racked up a career-high 133 tackles…can boast 358 career stops and three sacks…has missed just two games over first four seasons, starting 52 of 62 career games (44 at strongside linebacker, eight at weakside linebacker)…originally drafted by the Dolphins in the third round (88th overall) of the 2001 NFL Draft.

Last edited by bckey; 03-21-2005 at 03:42 PM.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2005   #8
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default easy....

Greenwood was a pretty good LB at Miami. Do some fail to realize they had some stud defensive players that could have overshadowed the guy? Taylor, Thomas, Seau, Surtain, and some other Pro bowlers! Miami's defense was pretty good all year with a horrible offense. I think he'll come in and everyone will be saying this was a great signing. Good attitude, unlike Hartwell, Fast, and able to hit the holes quicker that Foreman or Sharper!
Old 03-21-2005   #9
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
Just curious, but what has Hartwell ever done in his career besides get a lot of tackles and play beside Ray Lewis? His stats aren't that much better than Foreman's, but then again stats can be misleading...
I'm still wondering...
Old 03-21-2005   #10
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

A guy like Hartwell was probably looking to sign with a SB contender (Atlanta). For the Texans to sign him we may have had to pay him a considerable amount more than the Falcons did.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #11
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think we might have overpaid for Greenwood. While he might pan out, I don't think we had to pay him as much as we did. I think we were bidding against ourselves (I could be wrong). I get the impression Casserly paid that much to make sure we got him (like Wiegert in 2003 and Wade and Robaire Smith in 2004). The team wants speed and that is the one ability Greenwood has. I'm not saying that he isn't worth that money; I'm saying we probably didn't have to pay him that much.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #12
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans are still an unproven franchise and most FAs want to go to winners, so until we become serious playoff contenders, we're going to have to overpay for average players...That said, I think Greenwood is a great fit for our system, and I hope he blossoms into something special here...
Old 03-21-2005   #13
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ

I think Greenwood will be better. He's quicker, faster, and more athletic. He tackles surely, and hits hard. While Hartwell might be a little bit more steady at tackling Greenwood brings alot more to the plate for us. Players are going to be overpaid, when are you people gonna get this through your head? It's been happening for years, team's overpaying players for years, come on... next topic.
DoCt3rJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Hartwell has to come out of the game in passing situations. He is a 2 down linebacker. Greenwood has nearly the opposite profile with his strengths in coverage and will not have to come off the field in passing situations.

You guys need to put links in your cut-n-pastes or they will not stand. Thanks

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #15
Caw Daddy
Rookie

Default i dont have kids

im standing firm on greenwood being depth and not the stud we need.
Caw Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #16
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Quote:

..and who is the guy we need?
Old 03-21-2005   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Ray Lewis of course. Go get him Casserly or we will have you fired.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #18
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well we have our run stuffer in Sharper. Cover LB in Greenwood, and pass rushing LBs in Babin, and Wong/Peek. I hope we pick up a OLB in round 1/2 like Merriman, or Ware.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #19
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I still think Sharper will be gone.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #20
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
Well we have our run stuffer in Sharper. Cover LB in Greenwood, and pass rushing LBs in Babin, and Wong/Peek. I hope we pick up a OLB in round 1/2 like Merriman, or Ware.
I'd love to have Merriman or Ware. They both look like good prospects, and I hope Peek earns a starting spot this year. Then we could use Merriman or Ware in pass rushing situations.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read