Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-15-2010   #1
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1436 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do we underestimate Smithiak?? And is Peyton Manning the Best Ever

I was just reading a recent article by Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News and he stated the 2009 draft was the weakest draft year EVER. I couldn't help but think of the talent the Texans have added under Kubiak and who Smith picked up alone in the 2009 draft and free agency.

Cushing, Barwin (injury besides the point), starting Right Guard Caldwell, starting CB Quin, special teams gem Thor, 3rd CB McCain, an upcoming safety in Nolan, undrafted FA pickup halfback A. Foster, starting DE-DT A. Smith and picked up from the scrap heap Pollard. Holy smoly from the weakest draft ever these guys may have a draft class that may match our 2006 class. Pretty impressive I think especially if you include the free agent pickups. Does anybody wonder why we look so much better this year so far??

On another note, although it was so good to finally beat the Colts, can anyone remember a QB having such a great game while getting the pressure and getting beat up as much as Manning did Sunday?? 430 yards passing and you just know he woke up Monday morning looking for the Advil bottle after the hits he took the day before. Love em or hate em, that was an impressive performance and even if his defense looked like they threw in the towel in the 4th quarter, he never really gave up and was rallying the troops on the sideline late in that game. I may have been as impressed with this guy in a loss than I have ever been of him in a win. I don't get mushy over the opposition often but that's one of the reason's I'm so impessed with the Texans' win Sunday.
nytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010   #2
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do we underestimate Smithiak?? And is Peyton Manning the Best Ever

To your questions:

Smithiak: So far, so good in 2010

Peyton: NO quarterback could've performed the way he did under the same
circumstances.
Old 09-15-2010   #3
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Regarding Smithiak: I can't speak for anyone else, but consider me someone who is very impressed and pleased with the job these guys have done in assembling a really nice roster-----what may wind up being the core of a dynasty.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010   #4
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

The '09 drat looks GREAT for the Texans and way back in '93 or so Joe Montana beat the Oilers with a performance of the ages. He was sacked like 13 times and had a lump the size of a grapefruit hanging off of his throwing elbow.
Old 09-15-2010   #5
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

In direct answer to the thread title: Yes & Yes.

I'm on record as having believed that Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith were going about building the team they wanted from day one. Read Rick Smith's assessment to Bob *Cheap SOB* McNair when they were on the practice field soon after being hired. He was correct then, and he's (and Gary Kubiak) done what they set out to do. Cutting the crop is the absolute worse thing McNair could have done at the end of last season. He didn't get where he is by being stupid. (I guess he did it by being cheap ) Folks, we have had the pleasure and privilege of watching a dynasty being built from the ground up. Our Houston Texans will be in the fore front of proffesional football for a long, long time. Hide-n-watch.

As far as #18 goes...IMHO he's probably the best to ever go under center. 1st ballot HOF'er. No doubt.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010   #6
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's separate Smith from Kubiak.

Smith: A genius. Period.

Kubiak: Jury still out. Smart, very intelligent, but coaching still needs work. He's had one outstanding game, and he deserves credit and appears to be learning, but we'll see.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010   #7
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post

Smith: A genius. Period.

Kubiak: Jury still out. Smart, very intelligent, but coaching still needs work. He's had one outstanding game, and he deserves credit and appears to be learning, but we'll see.
Smith isn't assembling the roster on his own.
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2010   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Smithiak is building a good team, just not fast enough for me. I would love to eat my words on that this season.

If Peyton Manning isn't the greatest QB ever, there isn't a very long line in front of him. What Peyton Manning IS though is the greatest field general at the QB position to play the game.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010   #9
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted this on coltfreaks.com when I started seeing "kill manning" threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=263471#post263471
Look I know that my opinion is not that important but this argument seems pointless. Whether Payton pouts or looks mad, his greatness is pretty evident.

18 is the best player I've seen in my lifetime. If you want to know what reveals his greatness... it is in the film room. It is the way that he seems to see things happen before the game happens. He is easily the most cerebral player of our generation (and I go back to the Luv Ya Blu days). I was a Colts fan for about 6 years (post oilers until we got a team back) and I had like a 4 year transition (the year I stopped rooting for you guys completely was the year you won the SB). I used to dissect his games and he has always been amazing. Despite rumors to the contrary he's not one of the most physically gifted QBs in the league. In fact. He wasn't the most physically gifted QB coming out when he was drafted. Go ahead. Crucify me for that one. He's prototypical but there are guys with better arms in the league there are guys who are more mobile.... He is BAR NONE the smartest football player I've EVER seen. His dedication shows in the relationship with his receivers. That catch by Wayne in the back of the endzone doesn't happen for probably 29 of the teams in the league. The only other are Fitz and AJ. They make the catch because they are the best in the league... and you or I could throw to them.

I've been blessed to watch some great QB's Moon and Schaub down in Houston. Schaub isn't "all time great" but Moon was. Manning is 5x the QB he ever was. But its not this game that shows it. Its all of the film clips on the floor.

Durability is another sign. Bill Cowher would be proud of him. Permanent retainer holding his mouth together? Really? Leadership. obviously he has that. Those are great too. This guy literally has it ALL.

That's just a dumb texans fan's opinion.

Mike

And don't get me wrong. I hate Manning now. Just like I hated Esaison and Brister when I was an Oiler's fan. But I respect him like none other.
Best ever in my not so humble opinion.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010   #10
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Of course not. Kubiak has influence for sure. And, Kubiak can recognize talent for the most part.

But can he COACH that same talent?

Jury is still out.

If the season tanks and someone has to be fired, it will be either Kubiak or Smith. Who do you think it will likely be?

Here's a hint: Not Smith.

And, did you read the WSJ story on Foster? He talked about how Rick Smith had a little talk with him and that gave him some insight. Bernard Pollard said the same thing, and I think a couple of other players have mentioned Rick Smith talks. What in the world is Rick Smith saying to these guys to get them re-focused and motivated?
Old 09-15-2010   #11
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89797 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Of course not. Kubiak has influence for sure. And, Kubiak can recognize talent for the most part.

Jury is still out.

If the season tanks and someone has to be fired, it will be either Kubiak or Smith. Who do you think it will likely be?

Old 09-15-2010   #12
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Slap your face all you want. But it's true.
Old 09-15-2010   #13
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:

Jury is still out.

Right, but the question in the original post concerns assessment and acquisition of talent, not coaching.

And while the 2009 draft is an excellent example of how Smith and Kubiak are able to find kernals of greatness in a heap of garbage, the 2006 draft is what most people typically point to as the turning point in the Texans development as a legitimate contender and Rick Smith was not a member of the organization at that point---but Kubiak was.
Old 09-15-2010   #14
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89797 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

yes and yes.

i think we only need to look closer at our roster to realize how much we underestimate kubiak and smith. we have 1 player who's been part of the texans past 2006. much or possibly most of our roster hasnt been in the league since 2006. how can we have such high expectations for a team full of players that new to the franchise and that young in general without recognizing the guys who brought them in. beyond that, look at how mature and high character these guys are while also being that talented. look at how fast they're developing into the team we're yelling "playoffs or bust" about. with so many new studs from only last season as the original post points out, yeah i dont think they get enough credit.

this team isnt even in it's prime yet ... think on that.

manning's gone no worse than 12-4 since his sophmore season and has yet to miss a game. he leads a team that would be in last place with almost any other quarterback into a team threatening a perfect season every other year.
Old 09-15-2010   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytexan View Post
I was just reading a recent article by Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News and he stated the 2009 draft was the weakest draft year EVER. I couldn't help but think of the talent the Texans have added under Kubiak and who Smith picked up alone in the 2009 draft and free agency.
It's too early to make that assessment on the 2009 draft class. But yes, the Texans got more than their fair share out of that draft.

Quote:
That's not possible. Smith doesn't make decisions in a vacuum.

Quote:
Right. Kubiak tells Smith what he needs, Smith sifts through scouting reports, and together they make the decision. Smith wouldn't be here if not for Kubiak. Both of them know that.
Old 09-15-2010   #16
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Smith wouldn't be here if not for Kubiak. Both of them know that.
Yep. It's a unique Head Coach/General Manager relationship.

More typical is for the GM to hire the coach. In this instance, the coach hired the GM.

Usually the GM is considered the coach's boss. In this instance, the coach is the GM's boss.

I don't think Smith would have had nearly as much success with the Texans without Kubiak's help. But the 2006 draft shows us that Kubiak can do quite well without Smith.
Old 09-15-2010   #17
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Fair or not GM's, coaches, teams, and players are judged upon how many playoff victories and super bowls they've won. So far, Rick Smith, Gary Kubiak and Co. have done a decent job of drafting. But ultimately it'll come down to how many playoff wins and championships they'll bring to Houston. And I don't think that an unfair standard to have. The goal is and should be to win the super bowl every year otherwise its not worth it. That's jmho.
Old 09-15-2010   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep. It's a unique Head Coach/General Manager relationship.

More typical is for the GM to hire the coach. In this instance, the coach hired the GM.

Usually the GM is considered the coach's boss. In this instance, the coach is the GM's boss.

I don't think Smith would have had nearly as much success with the Texans without Kubiak's help. But the 2006 draft shows us that Kubiak can do quite well without Smith.
I don't know, it seems pretty obvious that both gents have their areas of expertise when it comes to this team. It seems more like their working relationship is one of equals, and not one being higher than the other.
Old 09-15-2010   #19
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Fair or not GM's, coaches, teams, and players are judged upon how many playoff victories and super bowls they've won. So far, Rick Smith, Gary Kubiak and Co. have done a decent job of drafting. But ultimately it'll come down to how many playoff wins and championships they'll bring to Houston. And I don't think that an unfair standard to have. The goal is and should be to win the super bowl every year otherwise its not worth it. That's jmho.
Do not disagree with your statement. As to the bolded, pull your seat up close because it's going to be happening every Sunday!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010   #20
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
It seems more like their working relationship is one of equals, and not one being higher than the other.
I agree with you---they clearly work extremely well together.

But in any organization there's a hierarchy.

If there is a disagreement between the two of them, whose decision do you think trumps whose? I'd go with Kubiak.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read