Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2005   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83
He also looked horrible getting run down by Jerry Azumah when all he had was grass in front of him,
Sorry, just have to disagree with this example. Are you really going to call a 69 yard reception (his longest of his career) a moment when he looked horrible? So there happened to be a CB on the field (the one he beat to get open by the way) who was straight line faster--big whoop. Dunta is faster than 75% of the starting #1 WR's--doesn't mean if he catches one of them from behind that it was horrible by them. Don't you think Mike Williams will get caught from behind at times--and he may go in the top 10 this year?
Old 03-21-2005   #22
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Just my opinion on Gaff getting run down. I'm not disputing that it was a long reception, just my memory of this catch reflects poorly on Gaffney. I remember him having a good few steps on Azumah, turning and seeing how quickly Azumah was closing, and then trailing off toward the sideline before being thrown to the ground. I didn't see him have the killer instinct to make a bee line and gun it for the end zone, and it just honestly looked like he was more concerned with not getting tackled hard than he was with putting the ball in the end zone. I remember after the game he commented on how he'd hear about it from the guys in the locker room for a while.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005   #23
texan_fan
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to texan_fan

I'd take *Automatic* over *BUTTERFINGERS* any day of the week. I don't know WHY, but Gaffney can EITHER catch the ball OR be in the end zone. For some reason, he has a hard time putting the 2 together, which is unacceptable...
texan_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005   #24
Rovator
Veteran

He's still relatively young too, so it's plausible to say he can still has much room to improve. He came out after his Sophomore year, he's the same age as Andre
Rovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005   #25
outofhnd
All Pro

He didnt have that many drops in the endzone this year. Its not like everytime the ball was thrown his way he dropped it. Who knows they may have a #2 receiver by comittee. All depends I think Gaffney is a Good receiver, he may not have been the goal line receiver but he sure put us in a lot of scoring positions.
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005   #26
Dionysus22
Veteran

Honestly, don't ya'll think all of this #2 wr talk is jumping the gun a little bit. I'd like to see what happens when we get DC some protection and he learns his read prgression. Give DC more than 2.5 seconds to throw the ball I'm sure we'll see everyone's production go up. I like Gaff. Think he's a solid #2, mind a few drops, he could be the answer we've been looking for and already had. In a 3 WR set from the slot, he's dangerous in the open field. But I don't think he has the physical ability to be an endzone treat. C'mon, we can't all be Andre.
Dionysus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005   #27
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I don't necessarily think that you have to be a physical specimen or physical freak like AJ to be an endzone threat. Jerry Rice isn't exactly physical, but he has more TDs than any other WR. Just look at the catch Gaff made for a TD against the Titans in Nashville. He didn't have to out jump the CB, or push off him to make the catch. He simply ran underneath the CB, and used those sticky mits of his to make a great catch. The point being that Gaff can get open and make the catch in the endzone w/o having to be a freak of nature like AJ. It would be nice if Gaff could fly like AJ, or jump over defenders like AJ but he can still be effective by just being himself. The best combo would be a receiver with the body and speed of AJ, and the hands of Gaffney, but I feel pretty good having both of those guys out there catching balls for us, hopefully, for many years to come.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-22-2005   #28
outofhnd
All Pro

Unless Armstrong just has a perfect camp this year expect Gaffney to line up as the #2 guy and Armstrong in the slot. Id like to see Armstrong more, He is tall and good leaping ability. But is he a consistent receiver? I dont think we waste a #1 on a WR. Some of the top receivers were not even first rounders.
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read