Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-13-2010   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58271 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What's different

OK. We've read X's and O's. We've seen diagrams. We've heard pundits. But what is different about this team. Physicality. Ok. That's a start. But we've seen that in spurts. Look, last time we beat Manning it was a set of circumstances.

This time, the game wasn't too big. The situation wasn't too big. 4th and 2. It wasn't this hurried frenzy. Guys ran out to their spots... they LOOKED like they had been there before. I don't know if y'all ever played on a team that grew together, but that's what this was. They walked out there confidently and handled business. We've always found a way to lose these games in the past, not because we were out-talented... because we were out classed. When Arian took that hand off, he ran decisively.

This might be my shortest ever review of a game (some will remember the 2 post long reviews I used to write) but it was pretty simple. This was a great game. We were physical and determined. Third down wasn't too big for us. We converted, they didn't. We were helped along by some dropped balls... but that's because their receivers knew a hit was coming... I think the penalty called on Mccain was crap... but it kind of sets a tone. We've seen it a few times where if we can't prevent the pass from getting to you, we're going to knock the piss out of you and hope the ball hits the ground.

The test is, does this team have a let down. Don't forget, this team has had landmark victories before. Its always the week after that seems to kill us. If we can come out of this cushingless stretch 3-1 or better then this team will have exercised many of the demons that have haunted this city since Warren moon was running wild.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #2
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 11679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: What's different

Nice review, but i'd rather us be 4-0 when the Cush comes back.
Old 09-13-2010   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 155499 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post

The test is, does this team have a let down. Don't forget, this team has had landmark victories before. Its always the week after that seems to kill us. If we can come out of this cushingless stretch 3-1 or better then this team will have exercised many of the demons that have haunted this city since Warren moon was running wild.

Mike

And you see, that's the thing. We've been down this road before. The Texans get us all exicited then sleep walk the next game. Maybe it's different now. Maybe we really are seeing the start of a new era in Houston football, but we really won't know that for a few more weeks.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Location: I live in a hole, but stay close to my kind, 'cause they understand what burns in my mind...
Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Yesterday was game no. 129 in this franchise's history. And all I know is that in 128 games, I have never seen the swagger and determination displayed by the team against the Colts yesterday. No matter what happens for the rest of the season, I now KNOW that they possess the attitude and talent to get the job done, and that gives me a renewed sense of hope and optimism as a fan.
Old 09-13-2010   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

We had a bad running game all season last year with Slaton, who wasn't healthy. We finally put Foster in there (or he was finally ready, whatever) and things got better. Now, we played the Colts D, which is not real good at run-stuffing anyway. It's Foster. Yes, Slaton looked alright, because he is getting healthier I guess, but not like Foster.

The blocking was great, but you gotta have a guy who chooses the right holes to run through, stays healthy, doesn't fumble, and can take a beating while letting his blockers dish one out.

I got a feeling that if we ran Slaton 33 times in one game at this point in his career, he would fumble twice and have a career ending injury on the second one. That's not even counting that his yardage would be good but not as good as Foster. I believe and really hope that Foster will stay healthy.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #6
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58271 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Nice review, but i'd rather us be 4-0 when the Cush comes back.
Me too. On another note. We're 4-0 in games I attend. I fully expect to be 5-0 after the cowpies game.

Mike

Old 09-13-2010   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybod listening to BP on 610 right now?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2010   #8
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Anybod listening to BP on 610 right now?
Not in town. What's he saying?

Old 09-13-2010   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Not in town. What's he saying?
Just answering questions about the game...

He talked about the cussing incident...

He said Reggie Wayne said something first, He apologized for it, Said that's not how he normally talks in everyday life...But he said that he will honestly likely use that type of language on the field again, but he apologized for any young listeners that may have heard...He's very well spoken...

He also talked about the hit and fumble and how he was celebrating and not blocking for GQ.

Said that he didn't realize exactly what was going on...He heard the crowd erupt and was trying to figure out if they had just stopped the Colts on 4th down...He said when he saw the ball come out "the crunkness" just took over his body and he celebrated...

He also talked about the GQ helmet to helmet hit...Said he wished that GQ would have hit him harder...Said that GQ should just tax-write off the fine that he's going to get and move on.

Anyways he is very well spoken...

I only caught the last fifteen minutes or so, But he'll be on every Monday for an hour. 4-5.
Old 09-13-2010   #10
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

What do I think was different?

1. Having an entire off-season where we saw a RB put in all the work needed to be successful. I think Arian Foster's attitude about rising from a UDFA spot to starting Rb had to inspire others on the offense. When you have a guy like that leading by example it helps.

2. Rick Dennison. I think it's great to have a guy that Gary can feel confident with in handling the offense and has the entire OL on the same page. I also think coming out the second half and deciding to run the ball was critical. I can't stress enough about how that drive saved the game. It showed this team can get physical upfront and that they weren't going to collapse like in past games. I think that could carry over.

3. I think part of having Dennison around is Gary's head being in the game because he doesn't have to worry about the offense. I saw some good things from him in managing the game, which is a BIG departure from last year. Went on 4th down twice on that first drive in the third quarter, he knew we needed it and could do it. The time out on the kickoff was heads up as well.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #11
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28579 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Just answering questions about the game...

He talked about the cussing incident...

He said Reggie Wayne said something first, He apologized for it, Said that's not how he normally talks in everyday life...But he said that he will honestly likely use that type of language on the field again, but he apologized for any young listeners that may have heard...He's very well spoken...

He also talked about the hit and fumble and how he was celebrating and not blocking for GQ.

Said that he didn't realize exactly what was going on...He heard the crowd erupt and was trying to figure out if they had just stopped the Colts on 4th down...He said when he saw the ball come out "the crunkness" just took over his body and he celebrated...

He also talked about the GQ helmet to helmet hit...Said he wished that GQ would have hit him harder...Said that GQ should just tax-write off the fine that he's going to get and move on.

Anyways he is very well spoken...

I only caught the last fifteen minutes or so, But he'll be on every Monday for an hour. 4-5.
They put the clip on youtube. Bernard ushered Wayne out of bounds, and you could hear
Wayne say "Get yo ass back inbounds, n*gga!"

It was just two competitive dudes talkin' ****. Not as personal as some would
believe.
Old 09-13-2010   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Kubiak on now.
Old 09-13-2010   #13
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
And you see, that's the thing. We've been down this road before. The Texans get us all exicited then sleep walk the next game. Maybe it's different now. Maybe we really are seeing the start of a new era in Houston football, but we really won't know that for a few more weeks.
I'm actually GLAD that this week is in DC, the Texans tend to stay focused better when on the road. They're coming off a pretty good high and the Skins looked very beatable.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read