Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-13-2010   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Fire kubiak thread. Not!!

From Texans Bull Blog:

My “I Love Gary Kubiak Cup” floweth over this morning. One giant thank you to Bob McNair for his patience this off-season after the frustrating second half of the season last year. Yesterday, you watched the execution of the plan Coach Kubiak brought to Houston over four years ago. One thing I love about Coach is his ability to learn and grow. The final pieces of his growth into a great NFL head coach were evident yesterday: total control and management of the game and the removal of his mentor, Alex Gibbs, in the run game and the resulting benefit.

Coach Kubiak finally has his coordinators (Dennison and Bush were the guys Kubiak attempted to bring here in 2006 to coordinate the offense and defense):

- Frank Bush took over the defense last season to the dismay of many Texan fans who wanted a bigger name. After a rough start implementing his system and addressing personnel needs, he quickly turned the defense into a pretty good one last season. Regardless of the yards allowed yesterday, it is clear that this defensive unit is going to be very good. From the first snap, they just beat the crap out of Peyton and his skill players. They dominated the line of scrimmage and played solid but aggressively in the secondary. Expect a lot of sacks and turnovers from the defense this year!

- Oh man! I have been trumpeting Rick Dennison as the difference-maker for our running game all off-season. Sorry for the lack of humility, but: “Yeah, Baby!… I nailed it!”. Dennison’s willingness to adjust in the running game led to the most enjoyable thirty minutes of offensive football in the history of Texans football. Here’s an interesting quote from Antoine Caldwell:

“The Colts did a good job of pulling us off of the zone scheme and double teams. They did a lot of blitz and running through gaps. They were forcing us to pretty much go man on man. I think every guy up front had the mentality, ‘If I have a guy in my gap, I’m going to take care of him.’ When you have five or six guys out there with that mentality, you’re going to get the job done.”

For the past two years, the Texans ran zone blocking almost exclusively. An adjustment like the one that Caldwell is referring to would have led Alex Gibbs to have a coniption on the sideline. He simply wouldn’t allow it. Dennsion, on the other hand, embraces gameday adjustments and it is a huge reason why this offense will excel running the ball this season.

Coach Kubiak’s game management:

There were a number of examples of Kubiak’s firm handle on the game yesterday. I think part of this change is simply his confidence in the team but also in his coordinators. Here are two examples:

1. Kubiak’s decision to go for it on 4th and 2 in the red zone during that impressive third quarter drive. Not only the going for it, but the confidence in the run game to convert. When was the last time the Texans even attempted to run the ball on a big 3rd or 4th down and more than one yard?

2. Kubiak’s success in working the officials. With the crowd going wild and Peyton trying to drive the Colts early in the 4th quarter, Peyton was having difficulty communicating with his offense. On a big third down, Peyton called a timeout after the play clock expired. The refs awarded the timeout. However, Kubiak brought the referee to the sideline and lit into him about it. A couple plays later, the exact same thing happened: Peyton called timeout right as the play clock expired. One of the officials awarded the timeout and there were no flags. However, after a quick meeting, the referee called a delay of game and walked off the five yard penalty.

The single, most glaring change in the team is the confidence the players have in each other and the coaching staff. Everyone is totally committed and on the same page with what is happening on the field. This is a team that isn’t feeling pressure to avoid failure but a team eager to make plays and impose their will. Next week will be further evidence of Coach Kubiak’s growth into a great NFL coach. After this huge, emotional victory, will he be able to get the team to focus and compete with energy on the road in Washington? I’m confident he will. What do you think?
Old 09-13-2010   #2
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fire kubiak thread. Not!!

How about calling the timeout just before the onside kick? That was a great call by Kubes. It wasn't a certainty that the kicker would get the ball, but he was very close. Might have saved the game.
Old 09-13-2010   #3
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sure wish I shared your optimism! Still a little hesitant, but, I'm coming around. Just odd to me that you have the best WR in the business and you allow your QB to throw to him 4 times. ALSO, why lay out all your dice (RB plays) in one game? I bet our opposing teams coaches will have a field day figuring out how to stop AF. Kubes and Dennison gave them a lot to watch. Also, PM picked apart our seconday like feathers off a thanksgiving turkey. Need to see lots of improvement there, or we will see some more 400+ yd games.

I do agree Kubes seems tougher, and more daring, THANK THE FOOTBALL GAWDS above for that!! Dennison seems to be the real deal also. I'm not trying to be negative, just still a little scared.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #4
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

This was without a doubt the best game i've ever seen Kubiak coach. I can't really think of one wrong thing he did. He did what it took to win and the team was adaquately prepared.

Now let's see what he can do with an entire season.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #5
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
How about calling the timeout just before the onside kick? That was a great call by Kubes. It wasn't a certainty that the kicker would get the ball, but he was very close. Might have saved the game.
This. Heady call. We all remember the Jville fake punt a few years ago when his head was up his ass. Shows he trust his offensive assistants to run that side and focuses on the whole team..
Old 09-13-2010   #6
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74774 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe Kubiak trusts these coordinators more? It took him a while to let MiniShanny grab the reins.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #7
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
clutch call, yes.
Old 09-13-2010   #8
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
Maybe Kubiak trusts these coordinators more? It took him a while to let MiniShanny grab the reins.
Though he might not ever admit it, I don't think he ever fully trusted Kyle to have the reins by himself.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Yesterday ignited the passion in Texans fans. No matter what happens for the rest of the season, yesterday's performance set a new standard for this franchise. They did not "play not to lose", or try to squeak out a win, but rather DOMINATED one of the NFL's elite teams. That was perhaps the greatest game in Texans history. People can point to the 19-10 game, or the first Indy win, but this game was the start of a season with high expectations against a team that just went to the Super Bowl and has always owned the Texans. Kubiak deserves mad props for the calls and readiness of all phases of the game.

I'm not calling it our "Super Bowl" (that's just silly), but there is no denying that we - the fans - can now believe in this team. That is a huge change of attitude from years past, and one that is welcomed to witness among Texans nation.
Old 09-13-2010   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I for one am not afraid of ANYTHING after seeing this team beat the Colts that handily AND knowing that we have a very good passing game that we didn't even have to use (against them). We're not going undefeated or anything, but we (barring certain injuries, which every team has to worry about) are good enough to make any team nervous about playing us.

We want EVERYBODY.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #11
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
This was without a doubt the best game i've ever seen Kubiak coach. I can't really think of one wrong thing he did. He did what it took to win and the team was adaquately prepared.
Can't think of anything he did wrong but there were a few pitfalls that he would've fell into in years past. Whatever had him free enough to call a timeout before the onside attempt, I'm all for it. Guys begging him to run the ball, people he trusts at coordinator jobs, whatever it is that makes him the brain and not the arm, legs, body and soul of the team is good.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #12
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been really hard on Kubiak (with good reason). But, it's only fair to give credit when it is due. It was a great game, and he did a great job.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #13
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Though he might not ever admit it, I don't think he ever fully trusted Kyle to have the reins by himself.
That's not surprising. Kyle was an inexperienced coordinator.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #14
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

All I needed to appreciate Kubiak was to watch the Cowboys game.
Old 09-13-2010   #15
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
That's not surprising. Kyle was an inexperienced coordinator.
He promoted him. Just saying.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #16
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Sure wish I shared your optimism! Still a little hesitant, but, I'm coming around. Just odd to me that you have the best WR in the business and you allow your QB to throw to him 4 times. ALSO, why lay out all your dice (RB plays) in one game? I bet our opposing teams coaches will have a field day figuring out how to stop AF. Kubes and Dennison gave them a lot to watch. Also, PM picked apart our seconday like feathers off a thanksgiving turkey. Need to see lots of improvement there, or we will see some more 400+ yd games.

I do agree Kubes seems tougher, and more daring, THANK THE FOOTBALL GAWDS above for that!! Dennison seems to be the real deal also. I'm not trying to be negative, just still a little scared.
I truthfully believe that all the running was part of Koobs master plan.
Now no matter what all teams MUST respect our run game.
When we get to a team with a little weaker pass rush and a stronger run stopping group we will throw it down their throats then run when they are not expecting it.

I found it to be a fantastic strategy. Koobs did the best job as a coach as he has done since he's been here.
Here's to keeping it up.
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #17
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Why do you lay out your RBs? Because now instead of teams looking at the NFLs leading passing team, they are looking at a team that can pass you to death or run you to death. The play action pass will be even better than last season, if we need a yard the O-line can get a yard for you.

The other teams defensive coordinators now have to account for a team that has more than one type of blocking scheme to beat them in the run. Opposing teams will now have to work harder on trying to stop us. You stop AJ we will ruin you over, if you come up to stop the run we will get AJ open over the top, and if you role the safeties over to stop AJ we have Jacoby, Owen and Kevin, not mention the 3 RBs that can catch the ball Arian, Steve and Vonta. This is finally the team Kubaik and Rick Smith set out to build.

Plus this team needed a game where the other teams see they are not a finesse team anymore. They can go mano-a-mano with anyone.

Think about it, the best WR in the game was not needed to beat the Colts, our best LB was not needed to beat the Colts, our best TE only had one catch and we beat the Colts.

And when Matt Schaub is only throwing the ball 20 times a game that is less of a chance of him getting hurt. I love watching the hand off work that well.

Keep it up Texans
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #18
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Lots of people have mentioned the smart, focused game the Kubes had. One thing I would like to add to that is that he seemed to be completely fired up for the whole game. It seemed like he was actually the leader of the team out there on Sunday. That is exactly what we need from a coach considering all of the youth that we have on this team.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #19
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Let'em stop Arian, and then Matt, Andre, Owen, JJ, and KW will light thier ass up!!!!!!!!

The 400+ yards were because of them bieng behind, a 73 yard play that should never have happened, and because they were behind.

I beleive they rushed for 44 total yards. That is huge.
Old 09-13-2010   #20
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Why do you lay out your RBs? Because now instead of teams looking at the NFLs leading passing team, they are looking at a team that can pass you to death or run you to death. The play action pass will be even better than last season, if we need a yard the O-line can get a yard for you.

The other teams defensive coordinators now have to account for a team that has more than one type of blocking scheme to beat them in the run. Opposing teams will now have to work harder on trying to stop us. You stop AJ we will ruin you over, if you come up to stop the run we will get AJ open over the top, and if you role the safeties over to stop AJ we have Jacoby, Owen and Kevin, not mention the 3 RBs that can catch the ball Arian, Steve and Vonta. This is finally the team Kubaik and Rick Smith set out to build.

Plus this team needed a game where the other teams see they are not a finesse team anymore. They can go mano-a-mano with anyone.

Think about it, the best WR in the game was not needed to beat the Colts, our best LB was not needed to beat the Colts, our best TE only had one catch and we beat the Colts.

And when Matt Schaub is only throwing the ball 20 times a game that is less of a chance of him getting hurt. I love watching the hand off work that well.

Keep it up Texans
I understand this, and I'm proud to see a more complete team. Most of all, I like the hard hitting, badass, smack you in the mouth, gonna kill your ass, attitude. But, when I see this consistently coming from Kubiak, I'll rest a lot better on our hopes of making the playoffs. Maybe I'm just afraid to hope!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read