Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-13-2010   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do Texans need to add depth at DE with Barwin out?

Not sure Rick Smith can pull off a major trade or pull Aaron Schobel out of retirement, but do see him searching practice squads for help? Texans used 2nd rd. pick in 2009 on Barwin but this was a pretty deep class, some very good athletic type DE/OLB's like Paul Kruger, Michael Johnson, Larry English, Aaron Maybin, Robert Ayers, Lawrenece Sidbury, Michael Bennett, Kyle Moore & Gilbert Jarron just to name a few. Not sure the status of all the above but maybe someone off this list can be aquired via trade or off someones practice squad? thoughts?
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #2
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do Texans need to add depth at DE with Barwin out?

I would love to see Schobel in a Texans uniform, but I think he's retired for a reason, and probably doesn't have a Brett Favre complex.

I also don't know that it is a priority right now since Barwin played in nickel sets and we are going into the next 2 weeks where Barwin's reps would be much fewer than this past week.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

We need to call Schoebel and ask him what account he wants us to deposit the money in.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #4
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

For what they're trying to do, i would call adellius thomas. He can give you that hybrid look as well as play any lb spot on the team. He's a vet and is still a good cover lb. He may go with the jets, but i would call him.
Old 09-13-2010   #5
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

In theory inducing him out of retirement seems like a smart move if the Texans could pull it off, but as a practical matter I wonder ? He's probably in terrible football shape and maybe he would come back because McNair would offer him even bigger bucks than before Barwins injury, but he might come out and pull a groin or suffer a hammy because he's in such bad shape and be of little use to us the whole year.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #6
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
We need to call Schoebel and ask him what account he wants us to deposit the money in.
Bob Allen and Spencer Tillman hinted at that last night on their program. Give the man what he wants, and lets get on with the business of winning a Championship!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

They must get another DE, or get a fourth DT. I can't see A. Smith holding up for sixteen games this year playing both positions at that level yesterday.
Old 09-13-2010   #8
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

We should get a big group of hardcore fans together and go eat at Schobels restaurant in Columbus. Stage an intervention to get him signed.

What free agent DE's are out there? I'm on my iPhone so it would be hard to look.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
They must get another DE, or get a fourth DT. I can't see Daniels holding up for sixteen games this year playing both positions at that level yesterday.
Daniels? Do you mean Antonio Smith?
Old 09-13-2010   #10
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, they need depth at DE. Will it be Schoebel or will they promote somebody opff the PS, I don't know. There's a Ryans qoute on ESPN that says he prefers that the team promote from the PS and not bring in an "outsider".
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Daniels? Do you mean Antonio Smith?
Thanks, I always confuse his name with Antonio Daniels, NBA player.
Old 09-13-2010   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

it would be amazing if Rick could pull another Pollard off the street
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #13
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep, more depth is needed. Schobel (sp?) would be nice, but it sounds like he is done. I am going to go look at peoples' practice squads...
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #14
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
We should get a big group of hardcore fans together and go eat at Schobels restaurant in Columbus. Stage an intervention to get him signed.

What free agent DE's are out there? I'm on my iPhone so it would be hard to look.
I'm down for drive on the weekend and some good food, Saturday for lunch! All of us can go in Texans Gear! I think it's a great idea!

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think SUnday we showed Schobel he could win with Texans. He might be more interested today than last Saturday. Texans could slide him in to Barwin's roster spot. I'm just doubtful he wants to play, I still don't think it is a $ thing.
Old 09-13-2010   #16
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Derrick Burgess is someone that's available also. He's a guy that has had some success getting to the QB.
Old 09-13-2010   #17
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that Burgess is more likely then Schoebel right now.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
it would be amazing if Rick could pull another Pollard off the street
Jaron Gilbert was dumped by the Bears. He is the dude that jumped out of the pool. Don't know if he is any good, but he is available.
Old 09-13-2010   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
Derrick Burgess is someone that's available also. He's a guy that has had some success getting to the QB.
ND Kalu always talks about this guy on the radio...I think he should be option 2 if we absolutely can't get Schoebel...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #20
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Who can we get to replace Barwin?

Greg Ellis?
Leonard Little?
Pannel Egboh?
Albert Haynesworth? (after our game against the Skins)
Jason Babin?

Maybe an OLB that can play DE on passing downs?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read