Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-20-2005   #1
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Three more mocks, all saying Barron

3 Sportsline writers' mock drafts

See the link above...all three of these guys say that Houston will take Alex Barron...even the guy who says Derrick Johnson will still be on the board at 13. Dennis Dodd even goes so far as to say "Pencil him in for the next decade." Whoa!

I don't see it happening.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #2
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile
3 Sportsline writers' mock drafts

See the link above...all three of these guys say that Houston will take Alex Barron...even the guy who says Derrick Johnson will still be on the board at 13. Dennis Dodd even goes so far as to say "Pencil him in for the next decade." Whoa!

I don't see it happening.
Prisco's great...

Roddy White before M.Williams. Dan Cody before James and Spears. I see he's also caught onto the Troy Williamson hype machine.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #3
The Preacher
Veteran

Wow all three of those guys have Mike Williams outside of the top ten. Surely we're not that predictable as a contrarian these guys have convinced me we're not going Barron.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #4
texansfan88
All Pro

They get paid to be controversial and start debates like this...take it with a grain of salt
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #5
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

One of them had us passing on derrick johnson and taking barron.. we absolutly would not pass on DJ. Roddy White before Williamson?? Vikings taking a Lb with the 7th pick? Theyre stacked on defense.(remember they got napolean harris fron oak) they will use the 7th pick to replace randy moss. Another one had Clayton taken before Williamson.

They must be getting paid alot for this stuff.. cus there go's their reputation
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #6
gwallaia

Rep Power: 88694 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Mock Scmock. As usual, the draft is being over analysed. Nothing to do now but sit and wait for the real draft to occur.

These expert mocks are wrong 100% of the time.

Altough Alex Barron would be a good choice for us.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Even before our highly published move on OP last week, many had us taking
Barron so the Mock guys probably feel like Barron is now a slam dunk for
the Texans top pick. But give them a little credit, the most popular choice of
the mocks last year was a CB - usually D.Hall. So when he was selected before we got to pick, we took the next highest rated CB. By the way, at the time of the draft last year, wonder if the Texans thought D-Rob was the BPA, or was his pick based more on need ? I'm of the opinion that the BPA concept gets a lot of lip service and nothing else from some corners of the NFL.
At any rate, the mock guys got it right last year. Who knows, in the event Barron isn't on the Board for us this year, maybe we take the #2 offensive tackle, whoever the Texans think that might be.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-20-2005   #8
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

OH HELL YAH!!!! I love sportingnews.. that is my new favorite mock.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #9
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

Well Barron is #1 on my board but i think he will be gone. If he is there we wont pass on him.. The only was the Viks will take Troy Williamson is if both Edwards and Williams are gone. If Barron is gone all that leaves for us is Williamson and Barnes. All the others dont make much sense in the 1st round.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #10
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

you know i think i'm one of the few guys on this board who actually like the idea of us picking barron with the 13th pick...he is a rare talent and he could be the next walter jones...he is definitly better than half the starting LT's in the nfl now...bobby bowden thinks he could be better than walter jones and he coached both of them...so i personally have no problems with us taking him...we need to improve our o-line...we need to improve a lot of things so i know we will be drafting BPA...it will either be barron, d. johnson, m. williams, benson, williamson, spears, or merriman i think
Old 03-20-2005   #11
royce1054
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
you know i think i'm one of the few guys on this board who actually like the idea of us picking barron with the 13th pick...he is a rare talent and he could be the next walter jones...he is definitly better than half the starting LT's in the nfl now...bobby bowden thinks he could be better than walter jones and he coached both of them...so i personally have no problems with us taking him...we need to improve our o-line...we need to improve a lot of things so i know we will be drafting BPA...it will either be barron, d. johnson, m. williams, benson, williamson, spears, or merriman i think
well d. Johnson wont make past 1st 6 picks
Mike Willams wont make past 7
Benson wont make past 9
Williamson could make it at 7 or 12 but i am sure he will be there.
Merriman wont go past 10
Spears wont go past 12.
Old 03-20-2005   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

HoustonTexans.com Mock II has the Texans picking Shaun Cody DT, USC.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #13
Dunta_23
All Pro

Default Barron or CB

I think the choice for potential would be Barron, if he turns out to be a top LT, Carr will be happy for years.....I would also love to see a top CB taken, and if not, if one of the top WR's or RB's falls...take them
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

we don't need Barron we have Wand plus one year of NFL experience. the best option is for the best player available a CB or OLB who ever the Texans bring in for a private workout & rates higher than the others but we'll probably have to wait until Draft Day to find out

Old 03-21-2005   #15
royce1054
All Pro

well Wand does have 1 year under him. Do you think hes good enough to protect the blindside....
Old 03-21-2005   #16
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTAWAY
Vikings taking a Lb with the 7th pick? Theyre stacked on defense.(remember they got napolean harris fron oak) they will use the 7th pick to replace randy moss. Another one had Clayton taken before Williamson.
I whole-heartedly disagree with you on this...Sure they have plenty of LBs, but the problem is that none of them are good...Sure they have potential, but DJ would be an instant upgrade over all of their LBs and actually give them credibility...

Let's not forget, they have two first rounders, and the draft is deep with WRs, so why not take a WR with pick #18, or even in the second round? WR is not as big of a need for them as many think...When Moss went down, their O didn't miss a beat...
Old 03-21-2005   #17
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by royce1054
well Wand does have 1 year under him. Do you think hes good enough to protect the blindside....
Wand is good enough...Wand + 1 year of experience > Barron with no experience...Barron may ultimately end up being the better player, but as of now, Wand is better...
Old 03-21-2005   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTAWAY
One of them had us passing on derrick johnson and taking barron.. we absolutly would not pass on DJ. Roddy White before Williamson?? Vikings taking a Lb with the 7th pick? Theyre stacked on defense.(remember they got napolean harris fron oak) they will use the 7th pick to replace randy moss. Another one had Clayton taken before Williamson.

They must be getting paid alot for this stuff.. cus there go's their reputation
the Vikings just added more talent at middle linebacker-

March 19, 2005

Notes: Vikings solidify defense with Cowart

By Brian DeLucia

The Minnesota Vikings couldn’t go wrong with trading a seventh round pick in 2005 NFL Draft to the New York Jets for veteran linebacker Sam Cowart.

The Vikings had a lot of problems with their linebackers last season. Despite their young talent, they all struggled with the system and made several mistakes that led to a lot of defensive breakdowns. Cowart will take over in the middle, replacing E.J. Henderson. Henderson dismayed coaches last season with his inability to make adjustments and follow assignments that fall onto middle linebackers. Henderson is a skillful football player who still has a future if he can mature and improve his approach to the game.

As for Cowart, he provides a lot of stability at the middle linebacker spot. He lost some of his range due to a lot of injury problems over the past several years, but he’s smart and knows how to attack the football. He’ll provide excellent veteran leadership. Although durability is a question, his presence should make a difference
Old 03-21-2005   #19
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

There is no way that we take Alex Barron with the 13th pick. I think we will draft bpa defense. The only way we would go offense is if someone like Benson, Williams, or Edwards fell to us which isn't going to happen. I think it will be Carlos Rodgers, Antrel Rolle, Shawne Merriman, or Marcus Spears in no particular order and by who is still there at 13 of the 4.

I forgot about Pollack. He is definately a possibility.

Last edited by bckey; 03-21-2005 at 02:35 PM.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #20
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Honestly, is it surprising that they have us taking Barron? We are only a few days removed from making a hardcore run at Orlando Pace and after he re-signed with the Rams, it's only logical to think that others would perceive we went after him due to need instead of us going after him because he's Orlando Pace, who is proven to be better than our status quo...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read