Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-11-2010   #1
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21536 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected
Default TE Contracts: Will OD be a Texan next year?

Besides that joke of a contrat in Tampa, now the Niners have made Vernon Davis the highest paid TE ever. So if OD shows signs that he is still the Owen of 2008-09 pre-injury what happens?

Here is the what was said by Adam Schefter of ESPN:

"San Francisco 49ers tight end Vernon Davis has signed a five-year, $37 million contract extension, making him highest paid tight end in NFL history according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

The deal will pay Davis a guaranteed $23 million"

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...y/Default.aspx

So if you are Rick Smith what do you do? We are deep at TE (Insert TE Joke here), but OD is a game changer when 100%.

Thoughts on what we should do and what will actually happen.........
Old 09-11-2010   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 80969 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TE Contracts: Will OD be a Texan next year?

I wouldn't pay OD as much as Vernon Davis, Davis is a freak game changing athlete, OD is good but is as much a product of a TE favouring system.
Old 09-11-2010   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I wouldn't pay OD as much as Vernon Davis, Davis is a freak game changing athlete, OD is good but is as much a product of a TE favouring system.
OD is the better TE because he is more consistent and has a higher football IQ, not because he's in a better system.
Old 09-11-2010   #4
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

With our depth at TE, I believe we let him walk. We have Dressen, Casey, Graham, and Hill. With the exception of Hill (we haven't seen enough of him) I believe any of our backups could walk in next year and start.

I'd rather spend that money elsewhere.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 186361 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Under ANY circumstances, OD has much a chance of getting that kind of contract as you do.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I would try to deal OD before the trade deadline.

Love what he brings to the team, but I think that kind of money could be better spent elsewhere...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010   #7
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i think the texans will let him go after this season! especially if hes not healthy all year! we got some really good back up TE's on the roster... for some reason i have high hopes for garret graham
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2010   #8
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 628 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTexan View Post
With our depth at TE, I believe we let him walk. We have Dressen, Casey, Graham, and Hill. With the exception of Hill (we haven't seen enough of him) I believe any of our backups could walk in next year and start.
I pretty much agree with you depending on how OD handles it. If he wants big money, I think they will let him walk. I am pretty sure they drafted Casey and Graham knowing 1 of the 2 of them should turn out in case OD wanted too much, or never returned to form. However, if he comes in and agrees to a decent deal, then there is no reason we can't keep him.

As for Hill, he was drafted to be a blocking tight end. I am pretty sure he is fine if he gets and stays healthy.
dinkatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 145631 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
The Texans are trying to get to the playoffs for the first time in franchise history, and you would advocate trading one of their best players during the season?

Dreessen - Not a quality NFL starter these days
Casey - Unknown
Graham - Really unknown
Hill - Non-existent

No, I think the Texans will need Owen Daniels this season. 2011? We have no idea what the salary cap landscape will look like. Or if there is a salary cap. Or a season. Way, way too early for this type of speculation.
Old 09-11-2010   #10
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21536 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Love what he brings to the team, but I think that kind of money could be better spent elsewhere...

As much as I hate to say it, this is exactly what I was thinking.

I love OD, and I don't like not bieng loyal to guys that make a difference. However OD is gonna wanna get paid, and his knees are a big concern.

I sure would like to see us get something for him.......
Old 09-11-2010   #11
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Texans are trying to get to the playoffs for the first time in franchise history, and you would advocate trading one of their best players during the season?

Casey - Unknown
Graham - Really unknown
Hill - Non-existent

No, I think the Texans will need Owen Daniels this season. 2011? We have no idea what the salary cap landscape will look like. Or if there is a salary cap. Or a season. Way, way too early for this type of speculation.
Totally agree with this.
Old 09-11-2010   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 186361 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Casey - Unknown
Graham - Really unknown
Hill - Non-existent

The only thing that I would have to interject is that I would have to classify OD as a QUALITY NFL STARTER with UNKNOWN 2010 PERFORMANCE POTENTIAL due to relatively recent injury/surgery and no subsequent in-game experience.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Casey - Unknown
Graham - Really unknown
Hill - Non-existent

Even if OD is 90% of what he was I wouldnt sign him to megabucks. The injury history is just too great for that kind of multi year commitment. I think the depth is capable of handling the change and your outlook for them is pretty worst case scenario. Dreessen is a quality #2 man and performed admirably, putting expectations above that are not his fault. Casey only impresses you every time he gets in the game, hands, athletic, aggressive blocker....not really unknown. The only thing known about Graham is he kind of looked like OD, so I guess that's a negative. Hill is a hellacious blocker who can't keep healthy. You paint TE like it's something other than a position of strength...
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read