Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-10-2010   #1
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Panthers may let Williams walk?

The Charlotte Observer's Darin Gantt indicated on Twitter Friday that the Panthers may let DeAngelo Williams walk in 2011 free agency.

It's hard to fathom at first glance, but the Panthers are well stocked in the backfield (Jonathan Stewart, Tyrell Sutton, Mike Goodson) and have quite a few impending free agents whose extensions may take precedence. If D-Willy made it to free agency, he could theoretically become the highest paid running back in football. He's probably hoping for the opportunity.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Panthers may let Williams walk?

Williams is a bad ass no doubt, but I don't want the Texans going after him. He'll have had a lot of carries over the last few years by the end of next season, and I wouldn't want to pay a RB that much money.

I'd rather wait on Tate and find another rookie in the draft with potential that will play for cheap.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010   #3
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Williams is a bad ass no doubt, but I don't want the Texans going after him. He'll have had a lot of carries over the last few years by the end of next season, and I wouldn't want to pay a RB that much money.
Not necessarily...having split time with DeShaun Foster and now Jonathan Stewart. 4 seasons, two above 1,000 and one 1,500 rushing performance can't be overlooked.
Guy would work wonderful in our system. Plus at age 28 by this time next year, he's still got at least two good years left.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Not necessarily...having split time with DeShaun Foster and now Jonathan Stewart. 4 seasons, two above 1,000 and one 1,500 rushing performance can't be overlooked.
Guy would work wonderful in our system. Plus at age 28 by this time next year, he's still got at least two good years left.
That is true Dante. He hasn't had a full load, and I've got no question at all that he'd be great in this system, but with as conservative as the Texans are in free agency I'd rather them spend their money on top notch defensive player in free agency as oppose to a RB. RB's are so easy to find if you're run blocking is good. I'd like to see the Texans continue to focus on the DT position, the secondary, and our O line for now and look for nice talent on the cheap at RB instead of breaking the bank to get the guy who will want to be the highest paid RB in the NFL. Now if the Texans are interested in him and they won't go after any other players on defense, then fine. I just would rather spend the money on a top defensive guy. Our offense is already great.
Old 09-10-2010   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not saying this means the Texans would make a move on him but let's remember that this is the guy Kubiak liked enough to offer what became DeMeco Ryans and Owen Daniels to move up to get. Nobody would make that move in hindsight but they liked him in particular.
Old 09-11-2010   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I'm not saying this means the Texans would make a move on him but let's remember that this is the guy Kubiak liked enough to offer what became DeMeco Ryans and Owen Daniels to move up to get. Nobody would make that move in hindsight but they liked him in particular.
Yeah, that's what I thought about when I first read this article. By what I saw in pre season though, I'm pretty confident that Foster will have a strong impressive season as long as he stays healthy, so I don't think management will feel like RB is that important of a need unless injuries slay us all year at RB. Assuming Foster has a strong season we'll have Tate coming back next year, so I don't think the staff will go out to find a RB to pay top dollars for. Even if it's Williams. He's a damn good RB though.
Old 09-11-2010   #7
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78831 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Man...if we ended up getting him....that's it, it's a wrap. I couldn't even begin to imagine the beauty on the field.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2010   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought about when I first read this article. By what I saw in pre season though, I'm pretty confident that Foster will have a strong impressive season as long as he stays healthy, so I don't think management will feel like RB is that important of a need unless injuries slay us all year at RB. Assuming Foster has a strong season we'll have Tate coming back next year, so I don't think the staff will go out to find a RB to pay top dollars for. Even if it's Williams. He's a damn good RB though.
you assume Foster can stay healthy 16 grueling games without getting nicked? pretty amazing faith I must say, but obviously I hope your right. the way contracts are structered I would expect Stewart to hit free agency before Williams cause he is still in his rookie contract. Panthers got greedy when they went RB #13 after getting Williams. can you say doomed? Jonathan was my pick for Texans in 2008. leave it at that, think you know where I stand.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010   #9
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Arian is gonna have such a good year, this time next year we'll be saying DeAngelo who?
Old 09-14-2010   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yeah. However if Foster Slaton and Tate look ok, then it could be a crowded back field.
Old 09-15-2010   #11
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33473 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

I was pullin' for him to come to the Texans out of college, and I'd still like him around.

Just don't want to pay the world to get him here anymore.
Old 09-15-2010   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't they tender him? Unless our running game falls to shambles I can't see us giving up what itd take to get him.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010   #13
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I think I'd pass too. Yes, he is great but the Texans will have both and Ben Tate coming back. EDIT.
Old 09-19-2010   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Man that would be sweet. Foster/Williams/Tate/Slaton is pretty sick. It would also let you concentrate high round draft efforts to DT/FS/and of course-TE!!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #15
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Yeah. However if Foster Slaton and Tate look ok, then it could be a crowded back field.
I don't think Slaton is a Texan next year....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read