Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-08-2010   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Will center Chris Myers

get a fair shake from fans or will he be doomed from the start? Many have their minds already made up, yet no one has beat him out since he was brought in for a 6th round pick. Does Gary know what he is doing by leaving this guy in charge of offensive line play calling? I think he will be better if the OGs remain healthy.
Old 09-08-2010   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will center Chris Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
get a fair shake from fans or will he be doomed from the start? Many have their minds already made up, yet no one has beat him out since he was brought in for a 6th round pick. Does Gary know what he is doing by leaving this guy in charge of offensive line play calling? I think he will be better if the OGs remain healthy.
I think you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. I'm not near down on Myers as a lot of people on this board. If we can stay healthy on the OL, I think we'll do really well and we won't be hearing much of Myers' name.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #3
Cush
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 161 Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respected

Was he playing hurt last year? I heard that recently, but figured the folks here would know the real deal... I will give the guy a chance. Maybe a little less 'zone blocking' this year will lead to an improved performance from Mr. Myers and make this line as good at run blocking as it is at pass blocking. I know that I have liked what I've seen up front on both sides of the ball this year so far, but pre-season is over.

Its time to get pissed off and down to business.
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #4
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, so far I haven't seen anything from Meyers that made me think somebody could replace him right now so yah. We'll see how he does against Haynesworth (if he's still in D.C. week 2) and then Ratliff. I'm more worried about Duane Brown giving up a lot of sacks/pressures to Freeney, than Chris Meyers screwing it up.
Old 09-08-2010   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with what you have to say, badboy. That said, I still think OC could be a target in next years draft.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I agree with what you have to say, badboy. That said, I still think OC could be a target in next years draft.
I think any position that doesn't have a pro-bowl/pro-bowl caliber player could be a target in next years draft...

If there is a really good center sitting on the board when we have a pick, I would not be upset with that pick at all.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
Was he playing hurt last year?
Yes. That's what we heard. Can't remember exactly but I think it was an ankle sprain and maybe something else that bothered him all year.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-08-2010   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yes. That's what we heard. Can't remember exactly but I think it was an ankle sprain and maybe something else that bothered him all year.
Nagging high ankle sprain.

I guess that is like having a 2nd wife. j/k
Old 09-08-2010   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203861 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
Was he playing hurt last year? I heard that recently, but figured the folks here would know the real deal... I will give the guy a chance. Maybe a little less 'zone blocking' this year will lead to an improved performance from Mr. Myers and make this line as good at run blocking as it is at pass blocking. I know that I have liked what I've seen up front on both sides of the ball this year so far, but pre-season is over.

Its time to get pissed off and down to business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Edit: It was during a TC game.

Didn't he get carted off during a preseason game for that injury?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I am torn between my lack of faith being in Myers or the system. There seems to be little doubt that Myers is a more than serviceable NFL Center given his time in and the apparent confidence that this coaching staff and player personnel has in him.

This fan's concern is playing against 3-4 defenses, and our C dealing with their NT. I probably should go back in look how we have performed against 3-4s, but I would bet we fare much better offensively against 4-3s (admittedly it may be more the rule through the NFL, than our exception).

We have a number of 3-4 defenses to face this year, and that Cowboys game, in my mind, will give us a view into the impact Dennison has had on the offensive line - Red Zone efficiency not withstanding. In my mind the offensive line success metric is not a number, but a mastery of "our offense" against a 3-4 defense, while something is on the line (unlike the Patriots game last year).
Old 09-08-2010   #11
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

He is an adequate starting center. Smart football player and can get moving in space to be a lead blocker for sweeps or screens. However, he doesn't hold up well at the POA, which is a weakness further magnified against monster 3-4 NTs. With better guards will he look like Nick Mangold? No, but his weaknesses will be minimized until we can find a better player to take his spot.
Old 09-08-2010   #12
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

myers is going agansit

Fat albert

Fat jenkins

prob freaking Natawa

who ever dallas gots which im sure is Fat

yaaa myers is so doomed ..
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #13
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
myers is going agansit

Fat albert

Fat jenkins

prob freaking Natawa

who ever dallas gots which im sure is Fat

yaaa myers is so doomed ..
Dude! You need to go home and start over!
Old 09-08-2010   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

His value is obviously how he handles the offense as the C. The mental stuff. It doesn't take a genius to see he's too small to handle the big guys and doesn't exactly dominate the non gigantors.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
His value is obviously how he handles the offense as the C. The mental stuff. It doesn't take a genius to see he's too small to handle the big guys and doesn't exactly dominate the non gigantors.
Correct! His value is in his mental knowledge of the game, and his athleticism in getting to the next level. He can do his job, as long as everyone else does their job and don't worry about him.

We Will Dominate!!!

Old 09-08-2010   #16
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

OK, admit it, you threw that J/K part in because Red might read the board.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Whatever! It comes down to this: "What have you done for me lately?"

If the Texans run the ball well (as I am not worried about our passing game against any team), no one will hardly notice Myers.
Old 09-08-2010   #18
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Correct! His value is in his mental knowledge of the game, and his athleticism in getting to the next level. He can do his job, as long as everyone else does their job and don't worry about him.

We Will Dominate!!!

Here's to perfect football. My last post wasn't exactly praise and as far as athleticism in pro football, big whoop. He still has to go for LBers knees because he can't take anyone by the shoulder pads and move them backward.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #19
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Chris Myers he's smart, calls good blocking assignments, fast, and athletic to get to the second level but if you can't handle the first level blocking assignment, the DT/NT, then it doesn't matter how fast you get to the second level cause you've either been pushed into the backfield or laying on the ground. Also he hasn't taken on the initiative to put on some muscle mass in the last few years when it's pretty obvious that bulk and strength are his weakness.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203861 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I like Chris Myers he's smart, calls good blocking assignments, fast, and athletic to get to the second level but if you can't handle the first level blocking assignment, the DT/NT, then it doesn't matter how fast you get to the second level cause you've either been pushed into the backfield or laying on the ground. Also he hasn't taken on the initiative to put on some muscle mass in the last few years when it's pretty obvious that bulk and strength are his weakness.
Wonder how much responsibility the staff would have to share in this, as opposed to Myers' limitations.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read