Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-07-2010   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Reggie Bush will be stripped of Heisman Trophy

The Washington Post reports:

Quote:
The Heisman Trophy Trust reportedly will strip 2005 winner Reggie Bush of the award by the end of the month and name no winner for that season, according to a Yahoo report.

Bush would be the first athlete in the 75-year history of the award to be stripped of the honor.

Citing two sources close to the Heisman trust, Charles Robinson writes that the group's investigation is nearly closed and it is likely to agree with the NCAA finding that Bush was ineligible during the 2005 season. Sources said Bush met with Heisman representatives last month in New York.

The NCAA ruled in June that Bush, now a running back with the New Orleans Saints, accepted cash, gifts and other benefits in violation of NCAA rules while playing at the University of Southern California. He was ruled retroactively ineligible for part of the 2004 season and all of 2005. USC was ordered to remove references to Bush from its sporting venues and promotional materials and delete his numbers from game stats. In July, the university returned its copy of the Heisman to the trust.

Vince Young, who finished a distant second to Bush in Heisman voting, has said he would not want the trust to give him the award.
LINK
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reggie Bush will be stripped of Heisman Trophy

ESPN:

Quote:
The Heisman Trophy Trust is expected to strip former USC running back Reggie Bush of his 2005 Heisman Trophy and leave the award vacant, Yahoo Sports reported.

Two sources close to the trust said the organization is completing its investigation and will agree with the NCAA's finding that Bush accepted improper benefits while at USC and was ineligible during the 2005 season, according to the report. The NCAA cited USC for "lack of institutional control" and handed the Trojans four years' probation, a two-year bowl ban and a reduction in athletic scholarships for the football program.

Bush would become the first player in the 75-year history of the Heisman Trophy to have the award taken away.

In July, USC president C.L. Max Nikias ordered the school's athletic department to return its copy of Bush's 2005 Heisman to the Heisman Trophy Trust.

Bush met with Heisman representatives last month at the New York law offices of Emmet, Marvin & Martin, the sources said, according to the report.

The sources declined to discuss the details of that meeting, according to the report.
Old 09-07-2010   #3
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41467 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

The NCAA retroactively ruled Bush ineligible for part of the 2004 season and all of 2005.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...#ixzz0yr1zFsMh
&&
One of the requirements of a college player to be a Heisman candidate is that he is eligible to compete, and that's eligibility as defined by the NCAA.
Therefor since the NCAA has now said that Bush WAS NOT eligible in 2005, it would be illogical for the Committe not to reclaim the Heisman from Bush
for the 2005 season.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #4
gwallaia

Rep Power: 60869 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Has USC also stripped OJ Simpson from all of their promotional materials and records?

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like Wunderlick ain't gettin' it either. Pft.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #6
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Has USC also stripped OJ Simpson from all of their promotional materials and records?
Not exactly apples and oranges. Bush was ineligible to play, according to an amazingly belated report form the NCAA, ergo his stats for the 2005 season should not exist.

OJ is slime, but was eligible slime.
Old 09-07-2010   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Not exactly apples and oranges. Bush was ineligible to play, according to an amazingly belated report form the NCAA, ergo his stats for the 2005 season should not exist.

OJ is slime, but was eligible slime.
Actually it is apples and oranges. What it isn't is apples to apples.
Old 09-07-2010   #8
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Actually it is apples and oranges. What it isn't is apples to apples.
I'll concede your point. What I should have said is he was trying to compare apples to oranges.

In my defense, I am running a fever and feel like crap today.
Old 09-07-2010   #9
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 15683 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

"To all the teams that passed on Reggie Bush.........thanks"
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Well, if his stats are wiped, I guess there go Leinart's stats..........at least they may more resemble what you would expect of a #3 QB.
Old 09-07-2010   #11
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was on my way to Lowe's yesterday morning when I first heard this on one of the sports radio stations. It was one of those "oh well" moments. I don't really follow college ball and most of those "big time" kids are getting some sort of kick back, it's only an issue if you get caught. (as is the case for a lot of things in life)

Then I heard today on the radio that this is only a rumor at this point. They said that they talked to the voting committee and they said that they had not voted on the issue yet and weren't sure if they were going to. So at this point, who really knows what's going to happen. I'm not a Bush fan, I personally think he's a douche, but I think it's a little overboard to strip someone of a trophy. He won it, period. The "gifts" he received probably didn't make him hurdle defenders, cut on a dime, and just straight up out run everybody on the opposing D. JMHO
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
I'll concede your point. What I should have said is he was trying to compare apples to oranges.

In my defense, I am running a fever and feel like crap today.
Get well soon Darlin'!! We need you Sunday, and you know I was only funnin' on ya!!
Old 09-07-2010   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Well, if his stats are wiped, I guess there go Leinart's stats..........at least they may more resemble what you would expect of a #3 QB.
Old 09-07-2010   #14
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
Then I heard today on the radio that this is only a rumor at this point. They said that they talked to the voting committee and they said that they had not voted on the issue yet and weren't sure if they were going to. So at this point, who really knows what's going to happen. I'm not a Bush fan, I personally think he's a douche, but I think it's a little overboard to strip someone of a trophy. He won it, period. The "gifts" he received probably didn't make him hurdle defenders, cut on a dime, and just straight up out run everybody on the opposing D. JMHO
I agree. I hate USC & don't really like Bush but in my book he deserves that trophy.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #15
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Give it to Mario
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #16
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

does anyone really care about the heisman trophy?
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #17
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77963 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminatii View Post
I agree. I hate USC & don't really like Bush but in my book he deserves that trophy.
I guess all that extra money in his pocket really helped him dominate on the field.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 214832 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You're eligible to play or you're not. If you're on the field when you shouldn't be then I don't give a flying fart what you did, who you hurdled, how many defenders you outran or whether or not you cut on a dime (or stopped to pick it up).

Rules are rules, otherwise why bother having them at all? That's how I feel about it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read