Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-07-2010   #1
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Lockout in 2011/how probable?

I've been trying to dig up as much as I can find on this subject and quite frankly, there's not much to date. What I did find was not promising for a 2011 season. Most of the articles were dating from 08, 09. With the owners having income streams in place already it seems there's very little incentive on their part to compromise their position at all.

Yes, it's a battle of which of the rich get richer. The billionairs or the poor millionairs. I think both parties are setting the league up to put a stink on both parties that'll be as hard to wash off as skunk spray.

I like many others lived through the scub players and line crossers of the 80's and the product on the field was hardly worth the time spent watching. Didn't see any references to bring in non-union players again. Just a total stoppage. NO FOOTBALL.

What do ye say old wise ones? Will they slow down and look down the road at the big picture or keep playing the "it's all about ME" game?

Mods, didn't see the other thread, please merge

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.

Last edited by drs23; 09-07-2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Duplicate thread
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #2
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: Lockout in 2011/how probable?

From the early stages, it certainly looks like it will happen, but i don't see it. I think the owners will come to realize eventually that it's not worth it to stop playing and mess the little integrity the league still has.

Plus alot of people would go ballistic without football, including myself.
Old 09-07-2010   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Part of the problem is that the owners are not a cohesive group at the moment. There is a power struggle among owners between the so-called "haves" and "have nots". The struggle pertains to the revenue sharing agreement that was put in place by Pete Rozelle and the owners during the merger of the NFL and AFL (it was something the AFL had done since it's inception).

Quote:
The NFL Teams Who Will Determine Fate of 2011 Season

If a new collective bargaining agreement is not reached between NFL owners and players by next summer you can be sure there will be a lockout. The NFL Players Association and the richest top third of the teams in the league are on the same page. But the bottom third of the owners want a lot more money from the top third or they will not sign on.
Stop wasting my time
You know what I want
You know what I need
Or maybe you don't

Do I have to come right flat out and tell you everything?
Gimme some money, gimme some money

I'm nobody's fool
I'm nobody's clown
I'm treating you cool
I'm putting you down

But baby I don't intend to leave empty handed
Gimme some money, gimme some money

~ Spinal Tap
Old 09-08-2010   #4
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Here you go

http://www.yahoo.com/_ylt=ApRJBntTJn...uestions090810
Old 09-08-2010   #5
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Thanks JT. I was going to follow up with that but got side tracked.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #6
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

This portion of the article JT posted intrigued me.

Quote:
Could the UFL provide players with a safe haven?

Absolutely. Some believe the United Football League, which debuted in ’09 and is about to begin its second season, was launched with a potential lockout in mind. As one NFL source speculates, “It was the equivalent of betting the Don’t Pass Line in craps – it was banking on a lockout, so it could be there to fill the void.” In theory, the upstart league could rapidly expand beyond its current vision of six *(possibly eight)* teams for the 2011 season and provide jobs for many of the NFL’s high-profile players during a work stoppage.
The UFL is backed by some pretty rich people, and I remember reading they started the league knowing they will lose a lot of money the first 3-5 years of its existence. If a lockout does happen, the UFL could pretty much raid the NFL and increase their credibility & popularity ten fold. I think it would be very interesting if the NFL had a legitimate rival.

Kind of a random question, but does anyone know if its possible for an NFL team to switch leagues/make their own if a lockout does happen? I know the chance of that happening is very slim, but if a few of the teams wanted to play during the 2011 season, could they?
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #7
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 85968 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminatii View Post
Kind of a random question, but does anyone know if its possible for an NFL team to switch leagues/make their own if a lockout does happen? I know the chance of that happening is very slim, but if a few of the teams wanted to play during the 2011 season, could they?
Now is that wishful thinking on your part thinking the Raiders might be pretty good in the UFL?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-09-2010   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Thanks for posting this article, Joe Texan. After reading it, I'll be surprised if they can agree to a new deal in time for the 2011 season. It really seems like next year's season is headed for a stoppage.
Old 09-09-2010   #9
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Now is that wishful thinking on your part thinking the Raiders might be pretty good in the UFL?
Haha, while I'm happy we are in the NFL I can't say I'd be too surprised to see Davis give the middle-finger to the NFL (again) and switch leagues . I'm just wondering if a team were to switch leagues, would others follow? If so, this lockout could kill the NFL as we know it.

Its hard to imagine going a full year without football, and if a loophole let some NFL teams make a league, even if it were only for the duration of the lockout, I wouldn't be against it.
Old 09-09-2010   #10
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

So, will there be replacement players or no games at all?
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #11
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
So, will there be replacement players or no games at all?
I'd say its most likely there won't be any games, it might piss off the Player's Association even more if the NFL continued with a bunch of Arena & CFL players.
Old 09-09-2010   #12
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminatii View Post
I'd say its most likely there won't be any games, it might piss off the Player's Association even more if the NFL continued with a bunch of Arena & CFL players.
Actually, I think that is what got them back to the table last time there was a lockout.
Old 09-09-2010   #13
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

It just seems like the players can't win, if they go play else where they will still take a pay cut because no other league generated the kind of money the NFL does, and the NFL could continue with players from other leauges and new players.

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #14
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

its not like most of the players are in the poor house
Old 09-09-2010   #15
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Just seems to me that Jerrah and his friends are in it again. Screwing up the league cause he wants to make a billion in one season
Old 09-09-2010   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it will be impossible for most of us to comprehend either side because we compare our income to owners and players. I think it is helpful to realize that those folks with significant lower salaries than us probably think we individually make too much for what we do. To answer the original question, I absolutely believe there will be a lock out as I think the 'have' owners will hold the 'have nots' feet to the fire for at least 4 games before their squealing gets loud. I think the players will have to make some concessions and the current union pres has indicated he is willing to negotiate on rookie salaries. That and guaranteed money is a huge cost and the owners refused to save themselves. The nut the squirrel (owners) is looking for is the percentage the players get. If they can reduce that the squirrel er owners will will be able to give more to the lower 1/3. As in basketball the last few minutes are when everything gets interesting.

Here is what I expect to be the result: rookie salaries greatly reduced. Another year added to time a player must have to become a free agent. Allowance for two "franchise" player free agents. A reduction in splitting profits to 50-50. An 18 game season with two pre-season. Not all teams sell out pre-season and if you are going to risk player injuries it should be for a game that counts. A lock out of 4 games should put more pressure on players than owners.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read