Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-04-2010   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans positioning to make Free Agent/Trade Moves?

I'm racking my brain and the only explanation for the Texans cutting down to 51 spots is that they are either radically incompetent or they are making room for at least two new acquistions. Here's the article we wrote about what will happen between now and Monday afternoon:

The Texans made their cuts and roster moves official this afternoon, confirming what was being reported yesterday afternoon. Barrettís list of roster cuts from yesterday is accurate and can be found here. With the signing of Derrick Ward, the roster exemption of Brian Cushing, as well as Anthony Hillís placement on the PUP, the Texans effective roster is at 51. It is a virtual certainty to be at 53 by the early part of next week. So, the Texans clearly have a plan in place to sign players from the outside. Iím very encouraged by the aggressiveness the Texans are showing. This is easily the most talented and deepest team in the history the organization. Yet, instead of focusing on that reality, the Texans have apparently determined a need to strengthen the roster from the outside. So, by identifying where the Texans cut more aggressively than anticipated, we can probably surmise what positions will be addressed via FA in the next 48 hours. Here are my thoughts:

1. Before delving too deeply into the numbers, it is possible that there has been a handshake agreement with Aaron Schobel to join the team after the preseason.
CONTINUE READING
Old 09-04-2010   #2
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans positioning to make Free Agent/Trade Moves?

McClain just wrote about this. They're signing Derrick Ward and looking for a backup QB. Booty may be the guy, but they're reserving the spot for now in case someone else they like better becomes available.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
McClain just wrote about this. They're signing Derrick Ward and looking for a backup QB. Booty may be the guy, but they're reserving the spot for now in case someone else they like better becomes available.
I've already counted Derrick Ward as one of the roster spots. That still leaves them at 51 (Cushing is exempt for 4 games). Also, I don't believe they are looking at QB.
Old 09-04-2010   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Yesterday Kubiak said to that the roster will probably be kind of different and that they will probably make 3-4 additions/changes.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Yesterday Kubiak said to that the roster will probably be kind of different and that they will probably make 3-4 additions/changes.
Rey, at the time, I didn't know how seriously to take that. He could've meant any number of things, especially since we didn't have the official list in front of us. But, clearly, he was indicating they were about to go get some people not on this team. I'm guess that is happening right this minute and will be announced sometime between tonight and Monday morning.
Old 09-04-2010   #6
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just going to throw Zgonina's name in there. Laugh all you want but the dude wasn't signed going into last season and ended up being one of our more consistent DT's. Not to mention his relationship with Rick Smith and you know he's in gonna be in shape.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't just expect them to fill the last two open roster spots...

I think we could very well see a trade involving a TE. I also think that that there is a good chance that either Naeding, Jamison or Shelly Smith are cut if they find a player that they think is an upgrade to the roster.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-04-2010   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn cheap ass McNair won't even hire a full team.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #9
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see this as anything unusual. This is what teams do when it's final cutdown time. Teams keep the guys they think are football players, no matter what the numbers are. If it's less than 53, they work the wire until they get to that number.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #10
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 74627 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
He needs to stop having lunch with Drayton McLane.
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #11
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 35830 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thorn, has Second Honeymoon hacked your account?!?!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #12
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I don't see this as anything unusual. This is what teams do when it's final cutdown time. Teams keep the guys they think are football players, no matter what the numbers are. If it's less than 53, they work the wire until they get to that number.
They cut Jeremiah Johnson, Malcolm Sheppard, Deljuan Robinson, JD Booty... All guys that they are very cheap, offer some depth, and a fair amount of upside. Particularly with Johnson and Sheppard, I can't imagine they would expose those guys unless they have specific plans in mind.

Johnson will be ready to play football around week 3.. I'm sure Sheppard is a scary cut, waiting to see if they can get him to the P.S.
Old 09-04-2010   #13
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
They cut Jeremiah Johnson, Malcolm Sheppard, Deljuan Robinson, JD Booty... All guys that they are very cheap, offer some depth, and a fair amount of upside. Particularly with Johnson and Sheppard, I can't imagine they would expose those guys unless they have specific plans in mind.

Johnson will be ready to play football around week 3.. I'm sure Sheppard is a scary cut, waiting to see if they can get him to the P.S.
Those are all P Squad guys, though. I have no worries about JJohnson getting picked up. He's out a month, and I don't think any team wants to use one of the valuable 53 on a guy who won't even see the practice field for a month.

Sheppard looked good in practice, but never showed anything in the preseason. I don't think there's anything on tape that would make someone jump at him, and even if they did - I don't think any of these guys would be a huge loss.

Booty - I don't see him as any kind of loss if he ends up elsewhere. He didn't look THAT good against TB. Plus, there are already better options out there if they want a third QB.

Robinson is the one guy that I think gives you some depth value. If Okam doesn't earn his roster spot, I'd like them to have another fat guy like DelJuan.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Those are all P Squad guys, though. I have no worries about JJohnson getting picked up. He's out a month, and I don't think any team wants to use one of the valuable 53 on a guy who won't even see the practice field for a month.

Sheppard looked good in practice, but never showed anything in the preseason. I don't think there's anything on tape that would make someone jump at him, and even if they did - I don't think any of these guys would be a huge loss.

Booty - I don't see him as any kind of loss if he ends up elsewhere. He didn't look THAT good against TB. Plus, there are already better options out there if they want a third QB.

Robinson is the one guy that I think gives you some depth value. If Okam doesn't earn his roster spot, I'd like them to have another fat guy like DelJuan.

I totally disagree with you regarding Sheppard. I thought he flashed a great deal in the preseason, not to mention he has a good SEC film and measurables. He is certainly at risk. I'm not upset that he didn't make the roster but I would be very angry if the texans exposed him to the rest of the NFL simply because they thought maybe they'd sign a couple guys, then decided not to. That would be stupid and irresponsible.
Old 09-04-2010   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I totally disagree with you regarding Sheppard. I thought he flashed a great deal in the preseason, not to mention he has a good SEC film and measurables. He is certainly at risk. I'm not upset that he didn't make the roster but I would be very angry if the texans exposed him to the rest of the NFL simply because they thought maybe they'd sign a couple guys, then decided not to. That would be stupid and irresponsible.
I don't the staff is near as high on Sheppard as you are. Perhaps they are seeing some things you are not? Or maybe not seeing some things you think you are?

If Sheppard was all that, they would have kept him on the 53.
Old 09-04-2010   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm starting to wonder if Kubiak is going to pull some strings with Shanny, and get Haynesworth. There is nothing to back that up, but I'm very surprised we cut both DelJuan & Sheppard.

This talk about Antonio Smith kicking in to play DT on a regular basis is just not reasonable. The only way that would happen, would be if something happened to Amobi or Mitchel, the UT in this group. Smith, Okoye, & Mitchell are all too small to play NT on a regular basis.

Passing down, obvious passing situations, yes. Fulltime, no way.

Haynesworth, yes. He may not like it, but yes.
Old 09-04-2010   #17
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm starting to wonder if Kubiak is going to pull some strings with Shanny, and get Haynesworth. There is nothing to back that up, but I'm very surprised we cut both DelJuan & Sheppard.

This talk about Antonio Smith kicking in to play DT on a regular basis is just not reasonable. The only way that would happen, would be if something happened to Amobi or Mitchel, the UT in this group. Smith, Okoye, & Mitchell are all too small to play NT on a regular basis.
Passing down, obvious passing situations, yes. Fulltime, no way.

Haynesworth, yes. He may not like it, but yes.
that's why the have Cody & Okam...
Old 09-04-2010   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
that's why the have Cody & Okam...
I understand. I was arguing the notion of Antonio Smith kicking inside on a more permanent basis.
Old 09-04-2010   #19
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Rep coming your way!
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #20
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I understand. I was arguing the notion of Antonio Smith kicking inside on a more permanent basis.
Smith inside is on a limited, situational basis.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read