Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-04-2010   #1
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Alex Gibbs abrubtly resigns from Seahawks

Quote:
Seattle OL coach Alex Gibbs, an all-time great assistant coach, abruptly resigned a week before Seahawks opening game. More at ESPN.com.
http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Wow!
Old 09-04-2010   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alex Gibbs abrubtly resigns from Seahawks

Wow.

I don't really know what else to say.

Wonder if they had some sort of personality clash or if Carroll wanted to tinker with Gibbs' running game.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I sincerely hope he enjoys retirement this time and does not return to Houston in any capacity. I appreciate everything he did for us but I think we're good right now and don't need any more help.
Old 09-04-2010   #4
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Wow.

I don't really know what else to say.

Wonder if they had some sort of personality clash or if Carroll wanted to tinker with Gibbs' running game.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the cuts, including Whosyourmama. Perhaps he doesn't like the fact that team has very few weapons, and perhaps his influence isn't so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I sincerely hope he enjoys retirement this time and does not return to Houston in any capacity. I appreciate everything he did for us but I think we're good right now and don't need any more help.
Totally agree.
Old 09-04-2010   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That would be my guess.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

This far into it, I have to think it's a cancer diagnosis, or a death in the immediate family.
Old 09-04-2010   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

This may have a bearing also...

Quote:
Seahawks traded a late-round 2011 draft pick to Philadelphia for OL Stacy Andrews.
http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

I don't really see Andrews fitting Gibbs style
Old 09-04-2010   #8
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now being told #Seahawks OL coach Alex Gibbs is retiring. He was "worn out."
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I remember reading something earlier in the year, where he wasn't sold on doing this much longer anyway. Heck, we pulled him out of retirement.

I thought he was just going to help tweak their program, and be on his way anyway.
Old 09-04-2010   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I remember reading something earlier in the year, where he wasn't sold on doing this much longer anyway. Heck, we pulled him out of retirement.

I thought he was just going to help tweak their program, and be on his way anyway.
Yep, I would imagine they are now tweaked as hell thanks to him.
Old 09-04-2010   #11
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Seahawks assistant Alex Gibbs resigns

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...gibbs-resigns/

In a surprising move just eight days before the season opener, Seahawks offensive line coach Alex Gibbs has resigned.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Gibbs' resignation was abrupt, and it's not quite clear why he did it.

However, Schefter notes that some think Gibbs may have resigned as a response to some of Seattle's recent roster moves. It's also possible that Gibbs, who announced his retirement in 2007 only to return to coaching in 2008, feels burned out.

But whatever the reasons, just eight months after Pete Carroll called hiring Gibbs an "outstanding achievement," Carroll now needs to find a competent replacement.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #12
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Seahawks assistant Alex Gibbs resigns

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74963
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I have to change my opinion of my earlier post. I saw a report on NFLN, that the 'Hawks found out about this as surprisingly as we did. Someone walked into his office, and noticed all his stuff was gone.

Sounds like he was pissed, and didn't want to deal with it.
Old 09-05-2010   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203861 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have to change my opinion of my earlier post. I saw a report on NFLN, that the 'Hawks found out about this as surprisingly as we did. Someone walked into his office, and noticed all his stuff was gone.

Now, how could a such a nice sweet man like Carroll have pissed off such an even keeled calm man like Gibbs?
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #15
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Congrats on retirement Mr. Gibbs, don't take this the wrong way but we've moved on from you and don't need your assitance any more.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #16
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Weird. After all those years at USC you'd think Pete Carroll would be a salary cap genius.

Should be a good NFL coach to work for.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #17
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I think Dennison is more likely to adapt his scheme to the players and the opponent matchups, which will allow our OL to perform better than it did under Gibbs.

Gibbs is the best OL coach of all time, but we are better off moving on.
Old 09-05-2010   #18
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I think Dennison is more likely to adapt his scheme to the players and the opponent matchups, which will allow our OL to perform better than it did under Gibbs.

Gibbs is the best OL coach of all time, but we are better off moving on.
Don't know that I would go that far.
Old 09-06-2010   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He probably didn't like the candy-ass program Pete Carroll is running.

That was a dynamic flawed from the beginning. Pete Carroll is in way over his head in the NFL. There is a reason college coaches do well in NCAA but can't translate it to the NFL. Nick Saban knows all too well what I am talking about.

Pete Carroll, though he denies it, ducked out of USC because he saw what was coming down the pike for the Trojans: Sanctions. He knew the jig was up. Can't say I fault him, but he jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire, IMO.
Old 09-06-2010   #20
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see Carroll do Seattle like Petrino did Atlanta. That would be the sweetest ending of all.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read