Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-04-2010   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Colts-Texans preview(s) thread

first off, it is time for the avatar! (thanks to false start)

now for the article

Quote:
Looking Forward to Colts V. Texans In Week One: Matchup That Excites Me

With a winless preseason in the books (first since 2005) we finally have the opener in sight. The Colts open their season in just 9 days, 1pm eastern time next Sunday, at Houston. Even before TC opened everyone had one eye trained on the start of the real season, and one matchup has had me drooling for months now.

Dallas Clark vs Whatever the Texans throw at him

Last year Clark shredded the Texans D for 183 yards and a TD on 23 receptions in the two divisional matchups. Week 8 Clark was a reality check for DROY to be Brian Cushing. The Texans manned Cushing up on Clark with the (predictable) result of a career high 14 receptions and Clark's 2nd of his two 100 yard games last season. The Texans D didn't fare much better Week 12 as Clark caught 9 for 63 with a TD.

Clark's 100 reception, 1,106 yard, 10 TD, 2009 season was impressive, but prorating his performance against the Texans out to a full 16 games gives a 184 reception, 1,464 yard, 8 TD season monster of a year.

...and week 1 the Texans will be without one of the key players used to "contain" Clark last year. Brian Cushing's PED suspension will have him sidelined for the Colts' and Texans' first matchup. Houston's 1st rounder Kareem Jackson rose through their thin secondary to a starting spot, so will probably be needed on the outside against the Colts deep WR corps leaving WLB Zach Diles, backup LB Xavier Adibi, or one of the Texans young, inexperienced and lightly regarded slot corners to face Clark if the Texans want to keep the cover-2 over the top that's been a fixture of Ds facing Peyton Manning since 2006.

Also working in the Colts favor is the addition of Brody Eldridge. In previous years the most effective way to take Clark out of the receiving game was to get so much pressure that the Colts hold Clark in to block (see the Ravens game last year). With a fantastic in-line blocker on the roster and seeing 1st team snaps in preseason the Colts have another option for helping an overwhelmed tackle that keeps Clark out running patterns.

A more seasoned Cushing seemed by far the Texans best option to slow Clark, but without him it seems quite likely he'll rack up another big game on Houston.
http://www.stampedeblue.com/2010/9/3...week-1-matchup
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Colts-Texans preview(s) thread

Quote:
Three weeks after arthroscopic surgery on his right knee, the Indianapolis Colts center has returned to practice with an eye on the Sept. 12 regular-season opener at Houston.

"Obviously, my hope would be Week 1," Saturday said after Wednesday's practice. "That's always been a goal I've had.

"But I'm definitely not in a position that I can say that's for sure. I'm working toward it."

Saturday, a four-time Pro Bowl selection who has started 156 regular-season games since 1999, went through one-on-one work Tuesday, then delivered some center snaps Wednesday. He's taking it slowly after having his knee 'scoped Aug. 10.
Quote:
Caldwell said left tackle Charlie Johnson, who hasn't practiced since injuring a foot Aug. 6, is "improving rapidly" as well.
http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ck-at-practice
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With a winless preseason in the books (first since 2005) we finally have the opener in sight.
We beat the Cowboys. Doesn't that count?

EDIT: Oh, this is from the COLTS point of view?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

If Saturday's in there, he's not going to make it through the game. More than likely, also he will be playing like "Friday." Too heavy, too soon.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

If Saturday's in there, he's not going to make it through the game. More than likely, also he will be playing more like "Friday." Too heavy, too soon.
Old 09-04-2010   #6
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Our young inexperienced secondary must have Peyton drooling. I sure hope they can step up and get the job done. It is going to be ULTRA important for our D-line to get some pressures to take the load of these young guys.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #7
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i think with cushing out we can cover Clark better

cushing good but we got other LB with better speed then cush and clark is such a light TE its almost like hes a WR so i think whoever we put on him he will pan out better
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-04-2010   #8
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i think with cushing out we can cover Clark better

cushing good but we got other LB with better speed then cush and clark is such a light TE its almost like hes a WR so i think whoever we put on him he will pan out better
If we can hang with the Colts with Morlon Greenwood at SAM, we
can also do the same with Adibi, Clark, or Sharpton.
Old 09-04-2010   #9
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario better plant their qb i expect to see a Peyton tree growing out of the field at Reliant when I return to see the Texans in week 3.

I am so sick of Substitute Jesus and all his commercials...he needs to go away. Indianapolis needs to return to a time when it was a city that no one cared about until memorial day and a time when a Cheryl Miller look alike played basketball there and not the earthly home to he who died for our sins.

Go away Peyton...would anyone on our team a late hit on that guy? If so I will adopt him as player. NFL may ban them for life but it would be nice to see.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Migraines. The man needs to have migraines.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
Mario better plant their qb i expect to see a Peyton tree growing out of the field at Reliant when I return to see the Texans in week 3.

I am so sick of Substitute Jesus and all his commercials...he needs to go away. Indianapolis needs to return to a time when it was a city that no one cared about until memorial day and a time when a Cheryl Miller look alike played basketball there and not the earthly home to he who died for our sins.

Go away Peyton...would anyone on our team a late hit on that guy? If so I will adopt him as player. NFL may ban them for life but it would be nice to see.
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.
Old 09-05-2010   #12
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

It's gonna be a barn burner to open the season. I don't think there is any way in hell the Colts D stops the Texans offense, especially if Foster's goin off and controlling the ball. I think we're going to see a lot of crazy defensive scheming to throw off Peyton, hopefully Adibi's speed helps nullify Clark's game but the real matchup is the pass rush vs. Peyton. If they can cut him off Texans will win. If not....
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #13
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Not going to lie, this is shaping up to be one of the best openers I've seen in at least 3 years. How much of underdogs are we in this one? +3?
Old 09-05-2010   #14
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Not going to lie, this is shaping up to be one of the best openers I've seen in at least 3 years. How much of underdogs are we in this one? +3?
Last line I saw yesterday had us @ +2 1/2

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Manning is 4-1 in his last 5 Week 1 games.

Bookies expecting a total points of 46 1/2.
Old 09-05-2010   #16
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Manning is 4-1 in his last 5 Week 1 games.

Bookies expecting a total points of 46 1/2.
It would not surprise me for each team to put up 24 points respectively. That's not the greatest bet in the world.
Old 09-05-2010   #17
Andre_Johnson
Duck Fallas!

Section: Sec: 127 Row: C Seat: 18
Rep Power: 49 Andre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll admit that with Dallas Clark being covered by Cushing he certainly got his numbers, but I remember those two games pretty clearly. Brian had a combined 23 Tackles with an interception in the second game of the season, all while covering Clark man-to-man.

Also, Bernard Pollard had a couple of interceptions in the first game they played against each other last year so he'll be looking for more.

However, we did only average two sacks a game in both games last season. We definitely need to wreck a little more havoc on Peyton to get him out of rhythm and give our young DBs a chance to cover the pass.
Andre_Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_Johnson View Post
I'll admit that with Dallas Clark being covered by Cushing he certainly got his numbers, but I remember those two games pretty clearly. Brian had a combined 23 Tackles with an interception in the second game of the season, all while covering Clark man-to-man.

Also, Bernard Pollard had a couple of interceptions in the first game they played against each other last year so he'll be looking for more.

However, we did only average two sacks a game in both games last season. We definitely need to wreck a little more havoc on Peyton to get him out of rhythm and give our young DBs a chance to cover the pass.
Manning is notoriously hard to sack by himself. His release is damn near instantaneous and brutal against blitzes at finding the open guy.
Old 09-05-2010   #19
Andre_Johnson
Duck Fallas!

Section: Sec: 127 Row: C Seat: 18
Rep Power: 49 Andre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respectedAndre_Johnson is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Manning is notoriously hard to sack by himself. His release is damn near instantaneous and brutal against blitzes at finding the open guy.
Agreed, I hate Peyton for being so good...
Andre_Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #20
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

our ground game and pass rush have to excell
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read