Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-19-2005   #1
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Default McClain on NOT signing Orlando Pace

Here is link to article on Houston Chronicle

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...texans/3092571
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #2
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

i dont recall mcclain's comments on the pace situation before hand so i may be completly mistaken ,but does this sound like quality control to anyone else?

"hey texans, i'll scratch your back if you scratch mine..."

and just in time for the draft.
Old 03-19-2005   #3
hound
Rookie

I don't think this is Texans based spin. I think it is the way he feels. There were several of us that felt the same way about the Pace deal. That giving up two first round picks for a single player, a 30 year old player, was too much. I had pointed out that our last two first round pickes were AJ and DR... and I sure wouldn't give the two of them up for Pace... and I wouldn't want to give up our next two either.

I think McClane knows enough not to criticize a move the Texans are trying to make while they are trying to make it... at least not in writing. Now that the deal has passed he can say what he really thinks without getting on the wrong side of his main news source.
hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #4
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda
i dont recall mcclain's comments on the pace situation before hand so i may be completly mistaken ,but does this sound like quality control to anyone else?

"hey texans, i'll scratch your back if you scratch mine..."

and just in time for the draft.

You sound like you think the Texans actually did something wrong???
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #5
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

no, i dont so much think the texans did anything wrong...i just believe a lot of fans got their hopes up...maybe mcclain was "contracted" to explain why we're better off without him...on this issue and others in exchange for the occasional "crumb" of inside info from the team. probably sounds cheesey but there are politics invollved...

oh, and bigfoot does exist...
Old 03-19-2005   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I couldn't agree more with McClain on this one, if we get Pace with "a" first and maybe a third I could buy that trade, but multiple firsts is too much.
The history of teams giving up multiple picks for a player was very instructive,
and the history about the trade involving Capers/Carolina & Casserly/Wasington -
good piece by McClain.
Thanks for the link BigD.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #7
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

I was all for getting Pace. I just pretty much knew 2 first rounders was never going to happen.

I can't believe McClain did not mention the Herschel Walker trade. That was what got Dallas their foundation for all those super bowls in the 90's. And ultimatley decimated the Vikings for quite some time. Jimmy Johnson really lucked out on this one.

THE TRADE
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-19-2005   #8
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

i dont think the texans were ever considering giving up two first round picks. it seemed to me that they wanted to make a trade with st louis for something less.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #9
texansfan88
All Pro

Lets get something straight.

McClain does not need to scratch people's backs. He is a well established and well respected writer that is considered a football expert by many.

Bash him all you want, but what he says is right.
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #10
cadahnic
All Pro

Man I totally agree with this guy. The way he rationalizes his opinion is a little questionbale and objective at best, but I think he is right on the money with that. That is why we should not give up our draft to get DJ. But if he falls past 7 we should make a call and see what it would take to get him.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #11
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

I am glad we didn't get Pace because I didn't think he was worth all we had to lose to get him. If being near 30 isn't a problem.....

KEEP JAMIE SHARPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot
(he is worth it)
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #12
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a nice piece of hindsight. When you put it the way McClain did, it looks like a no-brainer, but the point's been made already on this board that the Texans never would've given up those two #1 picks to make the deal for Pace happen.

I liked the piece, though, because it illustrated the proximity of Capers and Casserly from the other side of deals like this. In a way it was reassuring because it reminded me that those deals HAD to be in the back of their minds while negotiating with the Rams. Interesting reading.

And as for him being bought off...? Nah. His coverage of the Texans is pretty limited. Now if Butt Adams or Jerry Jones needed a puff piece, well, maybe John's their man.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain strikes me more of a "Man of the NFL" than any one beat writer. keeps his options open, thats just smart buisness I'm sure its no different in journalism. right now its Richard Justice @ the Chronicle, thats great for the Astros, but I would like to see even more coverage & more McClain on the Texans in the future
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #14
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I completely agree with what McClain said in that article, and I stated way before Pace re-signed with the Rams that I hoped that whatever deal that was made, tradewise, would fall through, because it would have involved 2 first round picks.

Turned out that Pace was just using the Texans to get the deal done with the Rams. Hey, whatever. I don't really care how it fell through, I'm just glad it did.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

It was a Texans article and I'm glad to see it and all, but comparing Pace's worth to Joey Galloway and Keyshawn Johnson? Pleeeese.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
It was a Texans article and I'm glad to see it and all, but comparing Pace's worth to Joey Galloway and Keyshawn Johnson? Pleeeese.
yeah I noticed that too, no way you can compare a Hall of Famer with those two knuckleheads
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

That is the only thing I don't like about his article. He is likely right about not swapping the two first rounders in the long run but using those guys as examples struck me as weak.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's more about the price than the product, i.e., any player no matter how great has a "not to exceed" cost. The Texans obviously invoked that rule in this case.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #19
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

This is a bit off topic, but didn't the Bucs also trade away one or two 1st Round picks for Gruden?
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #20
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Thanks for the link BigD.

no problem, there is a great story in Archives about Mr. McNair and his philosophy on life and what it taught him and despite his wish not to discuss it...they mentioned how much he does locally for many worthy causes. It is great to have an owner that when you see his name in paper you don't look around to see who's looking or wonder what time that episode of "Cops" comes on
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read