Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010   #1
LZ
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 263
Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

This one might not be in the right forum, but I wanted to list some guys for those of you who are draftniks to watch tomorrow. We can kick around what we thought of their perfomance after the games on this thread if you want.

Western Michigan vs. Michigan State - 11 AM / ESPN2

Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State #53 (2nd Round)
Very productive, smart football player who reads quickly and is willing to mix it up. Reminds me a little bit of DeMeco Ryans in that he plays bigger than his size would indicate. At 6'1/235, he isn't considered a big enough player to warrant first round consideration as a linebacker, but he's a leader on the field and should be a solid pro.


Oregon State vs. TCU - 6:45 / ESPN

Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State #54 (1st Round)
If you've never seen him play, you won't have to look for him very long because he will jump off the screen at you. It is very rare to see a 300 pound defensive tackle who combines strength and quickness in a frame with very little body fat. Paea plays with tremendous leverage and strength and when he gets under the offensive lineman's pads, it is over. He is effective at splitting double teams and and is very quick off the snap. He's not a massive defensive tackle at 6'2/300, but he plays with the strength of a 325 pound player.

Marcus Cannon, RT, TCU (4th Rounder)
Cannon is a huge man at 6'5/350 and he is a very powerful run blocker. Unfortunately for Cannon, he doesn't have great quickness in pass protection as it pertains to the next level so he will probably have to play guard. Because Cannon has limited quickness (he's not brutally slow, but he's not quick either), he will be limited on how many teams are willing to look at him as an interior lineman so that will hurt him in terms of his draft positioning. Cannon should be able to maul Oregon State's DEs for most of the night, but let's see how he handles their pass rush.


Boise State vs. Virginia Tech - 7 PM (Monday) / ESPN

Blake DeChristopher, RT, Virginia Tech #62 (1st/2nd Round)
DeChristoper is very well-schooled as a pass protector and in the run blocking game. Watch how nice and fluid his kick-step is in his pass protection. As a run blocker, DeChristoper is asked to be able to get to the backside LB on run plays away from him and he is able to do it with his cut blocking. We'll see if teams project him as being able to play left tackle because that would bump his draft stock.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,552
Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
This one might not be in the right forum, but I wanted to list some guys for those of you who are draftniks to watch tomorrow. We can kick around what we thought of their perfomance after the games on this thread if you want.

Western Michigan vs. Michigan State - 11 AM / ESPN2

Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State #53 (2nd Round)
Very productive, smart football player who reads quickly and is willing to mix it up. Reminds me a little bit of DeMeco Ryans in that he plays bigger than his size would indicate. At 6'1/235, he isn't considered a big enough player to warrant first round consideration as a linebacker, but he's a leader on the field and should be a solid pro.


Oregon State vs. TCU - 6:45 / ESPN

Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State #54 (1st Round)
If you've never seen him play, you won't have to look for him very long because he will jump off the screen at you. It is very rare to see a 300 pound defensive tackle who combines strength and quickness in a frame with very little body fat. Paea plays with tremendous leverage and strength and when he gets under the offensive lineman's pads, it is over. He is effective at splitting double teams and and is very quick off the snap. He's not a massive defensive tackle at 6'2/300, but he plays with the strength of a 325 pound player.

Marcus Cannon, RT, TCU (4th Rounder)
Cannon is a huge man at 6'5/350 and he is a very powerful run blocker. Unfortunately for Cannon, he doesn't have great quickness in pass protection as it pertains to the next level so he will probably have to play guard. Because Cannon has limited quickness (he's not brutally slow, but he's not quick either), he will be limited on how many teams are willing to look at him as an interior lineman so that will hurt him in terms of his draft positioning. Cannon should be able to maul Oregon State's DEs for most of the night, but let's see how he handles their pass rush.


Boise State vs. Virginia Tech - 7 PM (Monday) / ESPN

Blake DeChristopher, RT, Virginia Tech #62 (1st/2nd Round)
DeChristoper is very well-schooled as a pass protector and in the run blocking game. Watch how nice and fluid his kick-step is in his pass protection. As a run blocker, DeChristoper is asked to be able to get to the backside LB on run plays away from him and he is able to do it with his cut blocking. We'll see if teams project him as being able to play left tackle because that would bump his draft stock.
Paea reminds me of Ndamukong Suh.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #3
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame
 
nero THE zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Spring
Age: 30
Posts: 2,710
Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Is it accurate to say that Paea is best suited as a 3-4 end? Kind of in the mold of Richard Seymour? I haven't seen him play, but that's what it sounds like from your description.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Texan_Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston. Mediocrity Lives Here!!
Section: Bull Pen!!
Age: 47
Posts: 48,472
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
This one might not be in the right forum, but I wanted to list some guys for those of you who are draftniks to watch tomorrow. We can kick around what we thought of their perfomance after the games on this thread if you want.

Western Michigan vs. Michigan State - 11 AM / ESPN2

Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State #53 (2nd Round)
Very productive, smart football player who reads quickly and is willing to mix it up. Reminds me a little bit of DeMeco Ryans in that he plays bigger than his size would indicate. At 6'1/235, he isn't considered a big enough player to warrant first round consideration as a linebacker, but he's a leader on the field and should be a solid pro.


Oregon State vs. TCU - 6:45 / ESPN

Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State #54 (1st Round)
If you've never seen him play, you won't have to look for him very long because he will jump off the screen at you. It is very rare to see a 300 pound defensive tackle who combines strength and quickness in a frame with very little body fat. Paea plays with tremendous leverage and strength and when he gets under the offensive lineman's pads, it is over. He is effective at splitting double teams and and is very quick off the snap. He's not a massive defensive tackle at 6'2/300, but he plays with the strength of a 325 pound player.

Marcus Cannon, RT, TCU (4th Rounder)
Cannon is a huge man at 6'5/350 and he is a very powerful run blocker. Unfortunately for Cannon, he doesn't have great quickness in pass protection as it pertains to the next level so he will probably have to play guard. Because Cannon has limited quickness (he's not brutally slow, but he's not quick either), he will be limited on how many teams are willing to look at him as an interior lineman so that will hurt him in terms of his draft positioning. Cannon should be able to maul Oregon State's DEs for most of the night, but let's see how he handles their pass rush.


Boise State vs. Virginia Tech - 7 PM (Monday) / ESPN

Blake DeChristopher, RT, Virginia Tech #62 (1st/2nd Round)
DeChristoper is very well-schooled as a pass protector and in the run blocking game. Watch how nice and fluid his kick-step is in his pass protection. As a run blocker, DeChristoper is asked to be able to get to the backside LB on run plays away from him and he is able to do it with his cut blocking. We'll see if teams project him as being able to play left tackle because that would bump his draft stock.



LZ.... We always love your input!! Between you and "the Professor" I would venture to say that y'all bring us some of the best football talk..... EVAH!!!

Talk to Seanny and Johnny about contributing here on TT, like you do on occasion! I've been so stoked with the last couple of weeks with the NFL and Texans Talk and also firing up for college football.......
BTW, what a ****ing score bringing T-Rodg, here..... ****ing awesome!!

1560 Killz....


On a sad note, RIP Hoffy!


All of that aside, I will be firing up my grill this weekend.... That being my "Lil Tex Elite!!! Traeger Grills rock!!!
__________________
We SUCK AGAIN!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,561
Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
Marcus Cannon, RT, TCU (4th Rounder)
Cannon is a huge man at 6'5/350 and he is a very powerful run blocker. Unfortunately for Cannon, he doesn't have great quickness in pass protection as it pertains to the next level so he will probably have to play guard. Because Cannon has limited quickness (he's not brutally slow, but he's not quick either), he will be limited on how many teams are willing to look at him as an interior lineman so that will hurt him in terms of his draft positioning. Cannon should be able to maul Oregon State's DEs for most of the night, but let's see how he handles their pass rush.

LZ, how do you compare Cannon and Herman Johnson?

I just went back and watched one half of play TCU/Wyoming last year.
He went up against Mitch Unrein mostly, and did fine.
However, he was threatened a couple of times on the edge (but Dalton took off up the middle.)
He didn't maul guys in the run game, but did not lose any battle.
He got help from time to time with a double team.

In the second offensive series, another guy replaced Cannon, and didn't have any problem against Unrein at all.

On the third (or fourth) series, they asked Cannon to step inside to block the UT, but he couldn't quite get there. The UT either forced or helped force a fumble by the RB.

....

The Cardinals drated Johnson in the 5th round and made him a project at RT.
I watched him play 3 or 4 games last pre-season at RT on their second team, and against us this PS, of course.

I've got to say I was more impressed with Johnson in his Jr season at LG for the LSU Tigers than I'm with Cannon at RT in this one game against Wyoming.
Johnson seemed to have better lateral movement.

The Texans had problem in short yardage situation and wouldn't spend a 5th on Johnson (a natural G), it seems unlikely that they will spend a 4th on Cannon (and try to convert him to G).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,561
Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
LZ, how do you compare Cannon and Herman Johnson?

I just went back and watched one half of play TCU/Wyoming last year.
He went up against Mitch Unrein mostly, and did fine.
However, he was threatened a couple of times on the edge (but Dalton took off up the middle.)
He didn't maul guys in the run game, but did not lose any battle.
He got help from time to time with a double team.

In the second offensive series, another guy replaced Cannon, and didn't have any problem against Unrein at all.

On the third (or fourth) series, they asked Cannon to step inside to block the UT, but he couldn't quite get there. The UT either forced or helped force a fumble by the RB.

....

The Cardinals drated Johnson in the 5th round and made him a project at RT.
I watched him play 3 or 4 games last pre-season at RT on their second team, and against us this PS, of course.

I've got to say I was more impressed with Johnson in his Jr season at LG for the LSU Tigers than I'm with Cannon at RT in this one game against Wyoming.
Johnson seemed to have better lateral movement.

The Texans had problem in short yardage situation and wouldn't spend a 5th on Johnson (a natural G), it seems unlikely that they will spend a 4th on Cannon (and try to convert him to G).
To start the second half, Unrein won two individual battles to stop the runner and forced a punt.
The Horned Frogs recovered a fumble, and again, Unrein won every battles.
On the 5yd TD run, Unrein threw Cannon aside, but luckily, the LG pulled and trapped Unrein just enough. However, if the LB, or the CB, or the safety had done their job (only one was needed) that play could have been for no gain or just a few yards.
Honestly, I don't see Cannon as having the quickness and the agility to be effective in the NFL.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,552
Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Is it accurate to say that Paea is best suited as a 3-4 end? Kind of in the mold of Richard Seymour? I haven't seen him play, but that's what it sounds like from your description.
I'll give it a shot hopefully Lance will get the time to chime in but he's a busy man & this is the first weekend of College Football..... above average athlete & country strong enough @ the point of attack to play either scheme but is best suited to play inside under-center in a 4-3. He would fit in with Earl Mitchell pefectly, both are disruptive, quick & push the pocket require double teams which frees up ends, Mario would be in heaven. The NFL guy he reminds me a little of is Warren Sapp, he's very quick & explosive off the snap, gets leverage & is naturally strong to beat/gain leverage against bigger slower guards/centers. He also shows no quit, plays with a high motor & will just wear his man down, relentless.

I'm going to DVR this one because I have to work, those who can watch it live please post what you think, TCU has a very good team & should win fairly easy, unless the Quizster goes crazy like he did against USC. local kid I think he was some sweetness to him.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-04-2010   #8
rmartin65
I'm Score
 
rmartin65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 24
Posts: 7,980
Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
To start the second half, Unrein won two individual battles to stop the runner and forced a punt.
The Horned Frogs recovered a fumble, and again, Unrein won every battles.
On the 5yd TD run, Unrein threw Cannon aside, but luckily, the LG pulled and trapped Unrein just enough. However, if the LB, or the CB, or the safety had done their job (only one was needed) that play could have been for no gain or just a few yards.
Honestly, I don't see Cannon as having the quickness and the agility to be effective in the NFL.
I concur. Also, I think Unrein is just a notch below an NFL player at the moment. I could see him landing on the PS this year, and being a contributor on the Texans next year.

On Paea, I agree with beerlover. Dude is a beast, quick and strong. If he played for a big name school like Nebraska, his name would be mentioned right there with Suh.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #9
LZ
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 263
Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Paea reminds me of Ndamukong Suh.
He's not as big a human, but he can be just as dominant.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #10
LZ
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 263
Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Is it accurate to say that Paea is best suited as a 3-4 end? Kind of in the mold of Richard Seymour? I haven't seen him play, but that's what it sounds like from your description.
Honestly, I can see him playing NT for a team like Houston who wants relative strength but athleticism, 3-technique for a team like the Colts or 3-4 DE for a team like the Steelers. I think he could potentially be THAT versatile thanks to his strength. The problem with him as a 3-4 DE is that he's too short. Teams prefer those guys to be 6'4 and taller if possible.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #11
LZ
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 263
Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
LZ, how do you compare Cannon and Herman Johnson?

I just went back and watched one half of play TCU/Wyoming last year.
He went up against Mitch Unrein mostly, and did fine.
However, he was threatened a couple of times on the edge (but Dalton took off up the middle.)
He didn't maul guys in the run game, but did not lose any battle.
He got help from time to time with a double team.

In the second offensive series, another guy replaced Cannon, and didn't have any problem against Unrein at all.

On the third (or fourth) series, they asked Cannon to step inside to block the UT, but he couldn't quite get there. The UT either forced or helped force a fumble by the RB.

....

The Cardinals drated Johnson in the 5th round and made him a project at RT.
I watched him play 3 or 4 games last pre-season at RT on their second team, and against us this PS, of course.

I've got to say I was more impressed with Johnson in his Jr season at LG for the LSU Tigers than I'm with Cannon at RT in this one game against Wyoming.
Johnson seemed to have better lateral movement.

The Texans had problem in short yardage situation and wouldn't spend a 5th on Johnson (a natural G), it seems unlikely that they will spend a 4th on Cannon (and try to convert him to G).

I think he's better than H. Johnson. Johnson is a huge guy, but there are questions about how soft he is out on the field and he plays slower than his workout speed. I think Cannon is very limited in terms of which types of teams he could play for. I could see him slipping to the 5th because of it. I don't think he can play tackle.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #12
LZ
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 263
Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post



LZ.... We always love your input!! Between you and "the Professor" I would venture to say that y'all bring us some of the best football talk..... EVAH!!!

Talk to Seanny and Johnny about contributing here on TT, like you do on occasion! I've been so stoked with the last couple of weeks with the NFL and Texans Talk and also firing up for college football.......
BTW, what a ****ing score bringing T-Rodg, here..... ****ing awesome!!

1560 Killz....


On a sad note, RIP Hoffy!


All of that aside, I will be firing up my grill this weekend.... That being my "Lil Tex Elite!!! Traeger Grills rock!!!
The Traeger - it's for real bbq'ing too!

I am going to try and get on this board more often. I've been buried since the summer trying to get our pro and college preview magazine finished.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #13
LZ
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 263
Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I'll give it a shot hopefully Lance will get the time to chime in but he's a busy man & this is the first weekend of College Football..... above average athlete & country strong enough @ the point of attack to play either scheme but is best suited to play inside under-center in a 4-3. He would fit in with Earl Mitchell pefectly, both are disruptive, quick & push the pocket require double teams which frees up ends, Mario would be in heaven. The NFL guy he reminds me a little of is Warren Sapp, he's very quick & explosive off the snap, gets leverage & is naturally strong to beat/gain leverage against bigger slower guards/centers. He also shows no quit, plays with a high motor & will just wear his man down, relentless.

I'm going to DVR this one because I have to work, those who can watch it live please post what you think, TCU has a very good team & should win fairly easy, unless the Quizster goes crazy like he did against USC. local kid I think he was some sweetness to him.

While Quizz is a ton of fun to watch and I've been watching him since he was a Frosh at LCHS, watch James Rodgers, his brother. James is smaller than Quizz from a weight standpoint but is one of the toughest SOBs you will ever see. He is a winner and a very, very good football player. One scout told me that more than one team has a 3rd round grade on him based on how good a football player he is and that is despite being 5'7/180. Guys that small who play WR almost never pull that kind of draft grade. He runs the ball, blocks against linemen on trap plays and returns kicks.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod
 
Kaiser Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Straight Outta Austin
Age: 44
Posts: 16,083
Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State #53 (2nd Round)
Very productive, smart football player who reads quickly and is willing to mix it up. Reminds me a little bit of DeMeco Ryans in that he plays bigger than his size would indicate. At 6'1/235, he isn't considered a big enough player to warrant first round consideration as a linebacker, but he's a leader on the field and should be a solid pro.
Thanks for putting this together.

It is against WMU, but Jones is everywhere in the first quarter, as one would expect.
__________________
Smell the glove is here
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #15
Ckw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
The Traeger - it's for real bbq'ing too!

I am going to try and get on this board more often. I've been buried since the summer trying to get our pro and college preview magazine finished.
Where do I get a copy of this magazine?

And thanks for the commentary LZ! You bring a lot to this board, and we'd love to have you post more often. Good stuff and rep your way!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #16
JB
Old Curmudgeon
 
JB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Willis
Age: 58
Posts: 24,227
Rep Power: 119243 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Gettis from Missouri looking like a nice prospect.

And Moe looks like a Welker clone
__________________
Re: Who starts at QB?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #17
Seņor Stan
El Guapo
 
Seņor Stan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 44
Posts: 4,083
Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Where do I get a copy of this magazine?

And thanks for the commentary LZ! You bring a lot to this board, and we'd love to have you post more often. Good stuff and rep your way!
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36767712/2...-Preview-FINAL


Enjoy!!!
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010   #18
LZ
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 263
Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Thanks for putting this together.

It is against WMU, but Jones is everywhere in the first quarter, as one would expect.
I came away impressed with him. Not spectacular but very, very solid. Instincts look terrific.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010   #19
LZ
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 263
Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Where do I get a copy of this magazine?

And thanks for the commentary LZ! You bring a lot to this board, and we'd love to have you post more often. Good stuff and rep your way!
Shoot me an email at sidelineview@gmail.com and I can get you a link to the free preseason magazine as well as info on the weekly newsletter.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,552
Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Prospects to watch this week in college football

Oregon really impressed me tonight. for the first time I think they have a national champion caliber team. the adjustments they made on the fly in between the 1st & 2nd quarter was storybook. You know we always talk about prospects going to the NFL what about the coaches?

I think the future is very bright for Chip Kelly. Just saying if things don't work out here for coach Kubes, Kelly has the moxie that could transcend well into the NFL.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger