Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2010   #1
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 20949 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Derrick Ward visiting texans

Per ESPN.

Derrick Ward was unceremoniously dumped by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this week, and early speculation sent him to the St. Louis Rams; however, this was debunked by Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

On Friday, multiple sources (including ESPN's Adam Schefter) reported that Ward will visit with the Houston Texans Friday, and that the Seattle Seahawks have also expressed interest.

If those two fall through, another logical destination is the Oakland Raiders, who may be without Michael Bush for up to a quarter of the regular season.
Old 09-03-2010   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 90450 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Derrick Ward visiting texans

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...&postcount=140
Old 09-03-2010   #3
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Would be a good signing.
Old 09-03-2010   #4
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Why did Tampa Bay dump him?

Money or injury?

Our RB corps is already loaded with walking wounded. Need a healthy back. Any sign of him not being 100%, then fail his physical.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #5
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117888 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post

Money or injury?

Our RB corps is already loaded with walking wounded. Need a healthy back. Any sign of him not being 100%, then fail his physical.
He was paid alot and could not beat out an undrafted rookie

I'd still rather have Maroney
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #6
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Money or injury?

Morris was supposedly upset with Ward's conditioning. There were also reports that Ward was not in TB's "long term plans."

He was also outplayed by Kareem Huggins, who we saw last night, who is younger and cheaper.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #7
whiskeyrbl

Quote:

Money or injury?

My guess is money because Cadillac is their #1 and they seem to have 2 quality backups they can sign for cheaper. In our current state of RB's he is well worth a look imo.
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2010   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

They'll have to sign someone, but whoever it is (including Ward) they are only here long enough for our wounded to come back.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, we should hold tight a bit. Not that I'm saying he'll be signed, but there will be a lot more to choose from soon enough. I have to think there's going to be a better option than Ward.
Old 09-03-2010   #10
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I have to think there's going to be a better option than Ward.
Who do you think is likely to be cut and would be a better option than Ward?
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
He was paid alot and could not beat out an undrafted rookie

I'd still rather have Maroney
Why? I don't think he is a very good RB. Kinda runs like a girl.
Old 09-03-2010   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Who do you think is likely to be cut and would be a better option than Ward?
Well, that's why I think we should wait in order to see who's been cut. I'm not sure who's going to be available. I just wouldn't want us to jump on Ward 1st without waiting to see who might hit the waiver wire.

Heck, I might be off-base with this line of thinking. It definitely wouldn''t be the first time.
Old 09-03-2010   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, that's why I think we should wait in order to see who's been cut. I'm not sure who's going to be available. I just wouldn't want us to jump on Ward 1st without waiting to see who might hit the waiver wire.

Heck, I might be off-base with this line of thinking. It definitely wouldn''t be the first time.
I don't know if this guy is better, but I'd like to try him out.
Danny Woodhead (Jets), a division II standout 2 years ago.
He was on their PS last year.

The Jets have Shonn Greene, LT, and Joe McKnight.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't know if this guy is better, but I'd like to try him out.
Danny Woodhead (Jets), a division II standout 2 years ago.
He was on their PS last year.

The Jets have Shonn Greene, LT, and Joe McKnight.
I noticed him a lot in HK, but if the Jets were smart they'd keep Woodhead and cut McKnight. Maybe it's just the show, but McKnight seems like a dumbass.
Old 09-03-2010   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I noticed him a lot in HK, but if the Jets were smart they'd keep Woodhead and cut McKnight. Maybe it's just the show, but McKnight seems like a dumbass.
Wasn't McKnight a 4th rd pick?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree and disagree with you at the same time. I agree only on the basis if we had another healthy back not named Chris Henry. Last night Kubiak said something to the affect of ' as of right now we have one healthy back...um..I mean two if you count Chris Henry'. Chris Henry had about 3 quarters to give the coaches something to encourage them wanting him on the team for the long haul and I think he failed. The mere fact that Ward is coming in is reason to think the staff doesn't like Henry. Since we don't have another healthy back it makes more sense to get somebody now while we stil got 9 days to get them some plays in. After all we are playing Indianapolis and Ward can make plays.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I agree and disagree with you at the same time. I agree only on the basis if we had another healthy back not named Chris Henry. Last night Kubiak said something to the affect of ' as of right now we have one healthy back...um..I mean two if you count Chris Henry'. Chris Henry had about 3 quarters to give the coaches something to encourage them wanting him on the team for the long haul and I think he failed. The mere fact that Ward is coming in is reason to think the staff doesn't like Henry. Since we don't have another healthy back it makes more sense to get somebody now while we stil got 9 days to get them some plays in. After all we are playing Indianapolis and Ward can make plays.
Hmm, that kinda makes sense. I hadn't thought of it like that. Eh, I guess we'll see how it unflolds.

BTW, I had to Rep you. Your rep amount was 666, so I gave you a bump to get off that number.
Old 09-03-2010   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Wasn't McKnight a 4th rd pick?
Yeah, he was. I think the Jets even traded up to get him.
Old 09-03-2010   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Yeah, I heard that and I was like... Ouch.

Chris may stick around long enough for other guys to get healthy but he doesn't sound like he's one of the four backs that we're going to be going with this season. The problem is that we don't know how long Slaton and Johnson are going to be down. We may need to PUP one of them (if we even can at this point.)

This may force us to cut somebody else that we would have been keeping just so we can bring in some insurance for this position.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #20
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Jeremiah Johnson has looked very good. I wouldn't expect the Texans to sign Ward if his conditioning is poor. He would be a stop gap measure until Johnson is recovered but I don't think they would dump him after that. Anyone brought in would have to be a good fit. I don't have any faith in Tampa's talent evaluators. As with any FA brought in to Houston, the price will have to be right.

Foster, Slaton, Johnson and Ward would be a pretty deep backfield. Johnson has looked better than Slaton. When healthy and able to pick up blitzes he could move Slaton to a pure 3rd down back.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read