Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dorin Dickerson

gtexan02

Working?
Whats the status on this guy?
I didn't see the game last night, but saw that he was targeted a whopping 16 times!!!

Sounds like Kubiak was really testing him.

Unfortunately, he only caught 5 balls.

How did he look?

I didn't see the game last night, but saw that he was targeted a whopping 16 times!!!

How did he look?

Made the grab of the preseason. A long one handed catch along the sideline. He flashed, but also had a few problems, but most of the misses were bad throws from the qb's

He's hard to figure out, he'll drop an easy ball then make a circus catch the next play. When he gets the ball in his hands he reminds me of TO - big, physical and tough to bring down. He has very good speed too. I think his hands can improve when he gets more comfortable with the route tree. Sometimes it looked like he was thinking all about the route he was running only to look up at the last second to locate the ball. Also improved QB play could really help him. Dan-O couldn't throw a slant to save his life and atleast 3-4 of Dickerson's non-catches on those targets were poorly thrown slants.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't make the final 53. If we let him go, we'll never see him again except when he's on the team playing us. This fellow will not last uncovered on the practice squad.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't make the final 53. If we let him go, we'll never see him again except when he's on the team playing us. This fellow will not last uncovered on the practice squad.

I would take him over Andre Davis on the final 53. Too much potential to expose to the practice squad. We have seen the best we are ever going to see out of Davis, and it doesn't compare to what Dickerson could bring down the road.

You can see the highlights here: Link

DD's grab at the 3:40 mark.

Dickerson has the misfortune of playing with Dan O and Booty . He was thrown behind , over , under , and like JB said ... made a great catch .

He was open on the last play and Booty threw it wide and long or he had a td . He stays because there's not many humans who can run under a 4.4 with a 43 inch vertical at 6'3 229 lbs .

If Kubiak tries to put him on the practice squad , I'll personally kick his ass.

:texanbill:

How did he look?

I was yelling for him ALL night. He made one AWESOME catch and dropped a ton of easy balls. I think with time he could be a decent NFL receiver and I hope we hang onto him.

I think with a couple years of development, a la Jacoby Jones, he could really be something special.

Soooo much potential. He has to make the roster, as I think someone would claim him otherwise. However, I am not expecting much from him this season. Maybe 10 receptions for 150 yards and a TD or two.

Agree with Eriadoc and pencil neck. You have to keep this guy. His potential is that of a 1st or 2nd rounder, and he was a steal in the 7th. Let him watch and get a few reps this year and by this time next yr this guy could be pushing DA or even Walter for PT.

I almost think he looks like Marquis Colston. Big, deceptively fast, very quick on his cuts for his size. Needs more reps with a good QB. He does have some Andre type qualities. Big difference may be that Andre was better coached coming from the U. Not to knock Pitt, but just a difference in programs.

Check out his measurables:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorin_Dickerson

Great athletic abilities.

I think with a couple years of development, a la Jacoby Jones, he could really be something special.

I can see next year the Texans lining up three WRs who are 6'2 average about 220 lbs and run 4.4s .

One of them will take the slant to the house ala Taylor and Rice .

I almost think he looks like Marquis Colston. Big, deceptively fast, very quick on his cuts for his size. Needs more reps with a good QB. He does have some Andre type qualities. Big difference may be that Andre was better coached coming from the U. Not to knock Pitt, but just a difference in programs.

Check out his measurables:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorin_Dickerson

Great athletic abilities.

Dorin's problem is that Pitt didn't know what the heck to do with him. They tried him everywhere and he's such a baller, he did it. He just needs some training and some work because he's about as rough as he could be coming out of college. Polish this guy up and... whoa.

He had a lot of bad balls thrown to him, some good ones that he dropped and made at least one spectacular catch. BTW was it him on the long reverse we converted?

Either way he needs to be the #5 WR.

He had a lot of bad balls thrown to him, some good ones that he dropped and made at least one spectacular catch. BTW was it him on the long reverse we converted?

Either way he needs to be the #5 WR.

Yes, that was him on the long end around.

This guy is only a rookie in preseason, and it's apparent that his upside is incredible. As a 7th rounder, he's going to make Smith look like a genius around the league. Imagine how Dickerson will look next year if he lives up to his potential. We'd have Andre, Jacoby, Dickerson, and Daniels on the field at the same time.

Judging from Kubiaks presser last night I'm 100% sure he's on the final roster.

I think we're trading JJ next year, call it crazy speculation but I have a hunch :)

Judging from Kubiaks presser last night I'm 100% sure he's on the final roster.

I think we're trading JJ next year, call it crazy speculation but I have a hunch :)

Depending the rules hammered out with the players, Jacoby may be free agent.

Yeah, in Kubiak's presser yesterday, he laughed when the reporter asked him if he thought someone might steal him if they tried to get Dickerson on the Practice Squad. He just laughed and said something to the effect of, we won't have to worry about that. He is making the team.

By the way, there are some bloggers out there who were throwing fits when the Texans drafted ANOTHER TE and NOW are trying to sing Dickerson's praises and saying that they were in his corner all along. We remember your first thoughts, so don't go there...:slapfight:

He's going to be a player in this league...

Yeah, in Kubiak's presser yesterday, he laughed when the reporter asked him if he thought someone might steal him if they tried to get Dickerson on the Practice Squad. He just laughed and said something to the effect of, we won't have to worry about that. He is making the team.

By the way, there are some bloggers out there who were throwing fits when the Texans drafted ANOTHER TE and NOW are trying to sing Dickerson's praises and saying that they were in his corner all along. We remember your first thoughts, so don't go there...:slapfight:

I believe his exact quote was: "Naw, I'm not worried, 'cause it ain't
gonna happen." The way he phrased that response was comedy gold.

This guy is only a rookie in preseason, and it's apparent that his upside is incredible. As a 7th rounder, he's going to make Smith look like a genius around the league. Imagine how Dickerson will look next year if he lives up to his potential. We'd have Andre, Jacoby, Dickerson, and Daniels on the field at the same time.

I'm not sure Dickerson could make another team. We have no talent at receiver or tight end outside AJ and even he's vastly overrated. I'm sure Schaub wakes up every day wishing he could be in Cleveland where they have tons of talented guys to throw to. :sarcasm:

Seriously, do you think he wakes up thinking it's Christmas every day? It has to be something along the lines of going to a buffet where everything is something with bacon. This is going to be an awesome passing attack. If Dickerson gets some time on the field with Schaub he'll look even better.

People (including myself) thought he was drafted as a TE. That would be alot of TEs. It does not do any good to have 3 pro bowl caliber TEs when we still have below average DTs, FSs, etc. When I learned he was a receiver I immediately liked the pick, and I imagine most others did as well.

By the way, there are some bloggers out there who were throwing fits when the Texans drafted ANOTHER TE and NOW are trying to sing Dickerson's praises and saying that they were in his corner all along.
Anyone getting upset over a 7th round selection is just being a little too intense.

Anyone getting upset over a 7th round selection is just being a little too intense.

If he was a TE, that would have made 7 TEs on the roster. One of them a stud (OD), one a very good backup (Dreessen) and 4 drafted in the last two years (Hill, Casey, Graham, Dickerson). And one signed as a FA. I understand that it is a 7th, but dont throw away picks. Thankfully, Smithiak saw him as a receiver. And he looks great as a receiver.

If he was a TE, that would have made 7 TEs on the roster. One of them a stud (OD), one a very good backup (Dreessen) and 4 drafted in the last two years (Hill, Casey, Graham, Dickerson). And one signed as a FA. I understand that it is a 7th, but dont throw away picks. Thankfully, Smithiak saw him as a receiver. And he looks great as a receiver.

At the Senior Bowl, they had Dickerson practice and play at WR.
The draft scouts had indicated that receiver will be his likely position at the next level.

Nobody knows can be sure about the status of OD (between his health and his contract).
Hill's health issue was a muddy situation.
And Dreessen wasn't healthy either.

It was no secret that Kubiak like to carry 4 TEs.
We even had 4 TEs and 2 FBs one year, not counting the LS.
Casey can be that FB/HB (remember Cook).

To cover all the bases, I didn't think drafting a TE (Graham) was a bad decision at all;
especially when the guy looked at least as good as OD in college.

At the Senior Bowl, they had Dickerson practice and play at WR.
The draft scouts had indicated that receiver will be his likely position at the next level.

Nobody knows can be sure about the status of OD (between his health and his contract).
Hill's health issue was a muddy situation.
And Dreessen wasn't healthy either.

It was no secret that Kubiak like to carry 4 TEs.
We even had 4 TEs and 2 FBs one year, not counting the LS.
Casey can be that FB/HB (remember Cook).

To cover all the bases, I didn't think drafting a TE (Graham) was a bad decision at all;
especially when the guy looked at least as good as OD in college.

very accurate, don't think rmartin65 would disagree with you either but Texans have more pressing needs. I can't beleive for example that Joique Bell went undrafted he would be in the battle @ RB & if you wanted another WR Blair White went undrafted, think both have made rosters (Colts/Bills)?

very accurate, don't think rmartin65 would disagree with you either but Texans have more pressing needs. I can't beleive for example that Joique Bell went undrafted he would be in the battle @ RB & if you wanted another WR Blair White went undrafted, think both have made rosters (Colts/Bills)?

We didn't need a RB since we had Tate and Foster.
Obviously there was some concern with Slaton's injury (but all along it seems more like a mental concern) and the Texans seemed to like JJ enough to put him on IR last year so they can bring him back this year.

I'm not sure a RB in the 7th round is a better bet (as a 3rd/4th RB) than either Slaton or JJ.

It's also obvious that they like Dickerson's potential at WR and felt like he was too good to pass up.

The reason I don't get upset over whatever a team does in later parts of the draft is that it is hard enough to find guys resolve pressing needs in the first couple of rounds. (A guy who fits the system and can come into the league and immediately and help a team at a position) By the time we get to the 5th or 6th round, teams look for guys who have some qualities that they like, but probably just as many flaws. Dickerson is actually the perfect 7th rounder, highly athletic who was jerked around position wise, so he has skills but needs refinement.

We didn't need a RB since we had Tate and Foster.
Obviously there was some concern with Slaton's injury (but all along it seems more like a mental concern) and the Texans seemed to like JJ enough to put him on IR last year so they can bring him back this year.

I'm not sure a RB in the 7th round is a better bet (as a 3rd/4th RB) than either Slaton or JJ.

It's also obvious that they like Dickerson's potential at WR and felt like he was too good to pass up.

I will just say this & leave it at that, all things equal between a TE/WR & RB you go with RB based on quality of positional depth of your team.

The reason I don't get upset over whatever a team does in later parts of the draft is that it is hard enough to find guys resolve pressing needs in the first couple of rounds. (A guy who fits the system and can come into the league and immediately and help a team at a position) By the time we get to the 5th or 6th round, teams look for guys who have some qualities that they like, but probably just as many flaws. Dickerson is actually the perfect 7th rounder, highly athletic who was jerked around position wise, so he has skills but needs refinement.

Dickerson is an excellent 7th rd. pick there is little question about it, he's got great hands, size combo & look for big things from him down the road.

He'll definitely make the roster, but at the same time, I doubt he'll see much time at WR next season. He's still very raw and needs to work on a lot of things.

To address the original question, he dropped some passes but his hands shouldn't be of concern. Most of the passes thrown his way were terrible!

He'll definitely make the roster, but at the same time, I doubt he'll see much time at WR next season. He's still very raw and needs to work on a lot of things.

To address the original question, he dropped some passes but his hands shouldn't be of concern. Most of the passes thrown his way were terrible!

Most of the passes thrown at all our receivers were terrible (and they were still able to catch a good amount of the bad passes)......which is the reason why I said that one game had more crazy catches in it than just about every game I've ever watched before.

Schaub is a lucky man...... He's got receivers equipped with great hands everywhere.

The thing about this team (and at the time I found it incredibly frustrating but I was wrong) is that they've already demonstrated that they'll take the time to develop a player regardless of what the fans think. As long as the Texans coaches believe they're seeing progress and believe in the project they'll stick with it. Jacoby is a great example of that. Several players they've pulled off the practice squad are also good examples. They're into player development and even when the fans are ready to say "Done" with a guy the Texans are still trying to make something out of him. If they invest as much time in Dickerson as they did in Jacoby AND he responds and continues to develop we're going to be just stacked silly at WR or we'll be ready when Jacoby jumps for that stupid free agency money or we'll have a guy ready to trade when we need to grab a player somebody else has that we must have.

People (including myself) thought he was drafted as a TE. That would be alot of TEs. It does not do any good to have 3 pro bowl caliber TEs when we still have below average DTs, FSs, etc. When I learned he was a receiver I immediately liked the pick, and I imagine most others did as well.
I don't get it.

We're more stacked at WR then at TE. So why would you immediately like the pick when you heard he was going to play WR for us?

We have one pro-bowl TE(coming off a serious injury), one slightly above average back-up, and two 2nd year TE that didn't show much in their rookie season(one that's coming off a serious injury) when we drafted Graham and Dickerson.

Compare to having a All-world WR, a solid #2, a explosive back-up, and two serviceable slot guys.

Really, the only DT that was in the 4th that I wanted to take was Geno Atkins. We had already drafted a similar player in the 3rd round, so it would've been redundant taking another one in the 4th. I guess you could say the same thing about drafting a similar player to Casey when we took Graham. I'm thinking the coaching staff thinks Graham is more like OD, and Casey is more like Dreesen.

I don't get it.

We're more stacked at WR then at TE. So why would you immediately like the pick when you heard he was going to play WR for us?

We have one pro-bowl TE(coming off a serious injury), one slightly above average back-up, and two 2nd year TE that didn't show much in their rookie season(one that's coming off a serious injury) when we drafted Graham and Dickerson.

Compare to having a All-world WR, a solid #2, a explosive back-up, and two serviceable slot guys.

Really, the only DT that was in the 4th that I wanted to take was Geno Atkins. We had already drafted a similar player in the 3rd round, so it would've been redundant taking another one in the 4th. I guess you could say the same thing about drafting a similar player to Casey when we took Graham. I'm thinking the coaching staff thinks Graham is more like OD, and Casey is more like Dreesen.

You play more receivers than TEs. I dont think there is a team in the league that does not carry 5 receivers, and I bet a few carry 6. Some teams only carry two, maybe 3 TEs. Also, I think he has a much higher ceiling as a WR than as a TE. He was undersized, and not a good enough blocker to be a true TE. He is a beastly WR.

76Texan- I dont know how, but I was unaware that they were having Dickerson practice at WR at the Senior Bowl. On all the draft sites that I check he was listed as a TE, and I believe at the combine he went with the TEs.

You play more receivers than TEs. I dont think there is a team in the league that does not carry 5 receivers, and I bet a few carry 6. Some teams only carry two, maybe 3 TEs. Also, I think he has a much higher ceiling as a WR than as a TE. He was undersized, and not a good enough blocker to be a true TE. He is a beastly WR.

76Texan- I dont know how, but I was unaware that they were having Dickerson practice at WR at the Senior Bowl. On all the draft sites that I check he was listed as a TE, and I believe at the combine he went with the TEs.

I'm not talking about the amount of players we have at those positions, but how talented those players are.

Our WR are more talented, and has shown more in the NFL than our TE has. Plus, there alot was uncertainties surrounding our TE, will OD come back the same player he was before, will Hill come back and still be the talented TE we drafted, Is Casey going to get it and become a player. That's 3 problems with 3 out of our 4 TEs that we had on our 53-man roster last year.

From what I've read, Dorin gets good positioning in his blocking. He needed to improve his hand-usage/technique and get stronger.

Anyways, going back to your last post. Like you said, what good does it do to have 3 pro-bowl TE / WR if we have sub-par DT, FS?

Why does that statement change, just because Dorin is a WR?

Again, our WR corps is one of the best in the league, while our TE has numerous questions and uncertainties.

I'm not talking about the amount of players we have at those positions, but how talented those players are.

Our WR are more talented, and has shown more in the NFL than our TE has. Plus, there alot was uncertainties surrounding our TE, will OD come back the same player he was before, will Hill come back and still be the talented TE we drafted, Is Casey going to get it and become a player. That's 3 problems with 3 out of our 4 TEs that we had on our 53-man roster last year.

From what I've read, Dorin gets good positioning in his blocking. He needed to improve his hand-usage/technique and get stronger.

Anyways, going back to your last post. Like you said, what good does it do to have 3 pro-bowl TE / WR if we have sub-par DT, FS?

Why does that statement change, just because Dorin is a WR?

Again, our WR corps is one of the best in the league, while our TE has numerous questions and uncertainties.

Ah, I see what you are saying. I am being a bit hypocritical. The statement really does not change, but I like the pick because of the upside at the position. He has unreal potential at receiver.

Our TEs are not questionable. OD is coming off an injury, but when healthy he is one of the best. Joel Dreesen has shown to be a very good TE, and Casey is a clone of those two. Graham is held in higher esteem by some people than OD was coming out of college. Hill was widely regarded as the best blocking TE in that draft.

AJ is a stud, but has missed time. So there are injury concerns there. KW is solid, but is not spectacular, and will never be a number 1 receiver. JJ has not proved it in a season yet. All the talent is there, but we have not seen him put it together on the field consistently (disclaimer: I think he will). Anderson is nothing but a (great) slot receiver. Not someone who can step up should AJ go down.

As far as DD's blocking, he is great at it for a receiver. As a TE, who is expected to take on DEs and LBs, he is lacking.

Back