Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2010   #1
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is there really a battle for #2?

Is there really a battle going on between Jacoby & Walters? I read Texans Talk, I listen to all the Texans podcasts, I watch all the games, etc... and not once have I heard of a battle for the #2 WR. As far as I know, Walters has that spot secured.

But for some reason, all of the fantasy publications I read, fantasy experts I listen too, fantasy message boards I read, supposedly there's this battle for the second WR spot and Jacoby is in the lead??? Up until today, on the fantasy sports radio station on XM, someone mentioned Jacoby should win that spot.

Am I missing something here?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is there really a battle for #2?

KW got resigned there is no Battle KW is our #2 intill he starts to sucks or drop passes thats a IF if that happens then JJ is our #2 simple has that
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #3
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Is there really a battle going on between Jacoby & Walters? I read Texans Talk, I listen to all the Texans podcasts, I watch all the games, etc... and not once have I heard of a battle for the #2 WR. As far as I know, Walters has that spot secured.

But for some reason, all of the fantasy publications I read, fantasy experts I listen too, fantasy message boards I read, supposedly there's this battle for the second WR spot and Jacoby is in the lead??? Up until today, on the fantasy sports radio station on XM, someone mentioned Jacoby should win that spot.

Well, regardless of how the Texans officially list the WR's on the depth chart, a good case can be made that Jacoby is the better fantasy option for 2010. Heck, if your in a heavily TD weighted league, he was better than KW last year.
Old 09-03-2010   #4
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby is a starter. When he takes the field depends solely on the
personnel package the play requires. In the 3-wide package, expect
to see Dre, Walter, AND Jacoby out there. In your 2-tightend set,
expect to see Dre, Walter and OD/Casey/Graham/Dreesen.
Old 09-03-2010   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

You watch JJ and you think, "Yeah, he's plenty good enough to take the #2 spot (most of the time)." You watch KW and then think, "He IS the #2 and nobody's takin' it."

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #6
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
You watch JJ and you think, "Yeah, he's plenty good enough to take the #2 spot (most of the time)." You watch KW and then think, "He IS the #2 and nobody's takin' it."
Well said......
Old 09-03-2010   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we're just very, very loaded at WR and I like it. What I dig the most is that I see no real indication from Jacoby Jones that he's displeased with the fact that he's not been proclaimed "The best thing since sliced bread" and our #2 receiver. In the past I would have kind of expected "immature Jacoby" to eventually play as well as we've seen him this preseason and then to start worrying about "respect" or some bullshit like that. It's good to see that the new and improved "mature Jacoby" seems to be content with being part of 2A/2B opposite Andre Johnson.

Actually I think that AJ's low-key way of handling his contract situation and his overall professionalism is partially responsible for this. He's a hell of an example to have there for young players. Here's the best WR in football and he's as firmly attached to the ground as you can get. I want to see what kind of player Dorin Dickerson ends up being in a couple of years in this environment. At some point someone is going to offer JJ some money if he has a big year or two for us. When that happens I expect him to take the opportunity to go out and make some big bank (we can't keep them all). We'll have someone else ready to step in though.
Old 09-03-2010   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

This is beginning to look like last year after the last pre-season game. We are loaded at WR ant TE, and very shallow at RB.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think we're just very, very loaded at WR and I like it. What I dig the most is that I see no real indication from Jacoby Jones that he's displeased with the fact that he's not been proclaimed "The best thing since sliced bread" and our #2 receiver. In the past I would have kind of expected "immature Jacoby" to eventually play as well as we've seen him this preseason and then to start worrying about "respect" or some bullshit like that. It's good to see that the new and improved "mature Jacoby" seems to be content with being part of 2A/2B opposite Andre Johnson.

Actually I think that AJ's low-key way of handling his contract situation and his overall professionalism is partially responsible for this. He's a hell of an example to have there for young players. Here's the best WR in football and he's as firmly attached to the ground as you can get. I want to see what kind of player Dorin Dickerson ends up being in a couple of years in this environment. At some point someone is going to offer JJ some money if he has a big year or two for us. When that happens I expect him to take the opportunity to go out and make some big bank (we can't keep them all). We'll have someone else ready to step in though.
When your QB is Matt Schaub who can complete passes to several different WRs in a game, it doesn't matter if you are #2 or #3 - you're gonna get opportunities.

Also I agree with your statement about Andre being an example. In a way I believe he's set the president on how to handle this situation.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
When your QB is Matt Schaub who can complete passes to several different WRs in a game, it doesn't matter if you are #2 or #3 - you're gonna get opportunities.

Also I agree with your statement about Andre being an example. In a way I believe he's set the president on how to handle this situation.
I throw it and they catch it. Who cares if it is 1, 2 or 3? signed Matt Schaub.
Old 09-03-2010   #11
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I would think KDub still has the advantage over Jacoby solely because of his run blocking skills.

But Jacoby also has the ability to make a big play happen every time he touches the ball. I'm loving our WR corps this year, even if Andre Davis gets the axe today.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #12
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

This is Jacoby's last year under contract. The team tried to trade him
last year to Washington during the preseason. Washington refused, and
we got the best year Jacoby has ever had. This offseason, the Texans
have a hell of a choice to make.
Old 09-03-2010   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post

Jacoby > Walter for fantasy purposes. In that sense he's the #2 WR you'd select.

I think Walter gets the "start" but I truly hate that term. All it means is who starts the game and it has ZERO bearing on the other 59 1/2 minutes. I suspect Jacoby will get similar # of passes his way, and will probably get more yards and TDs. Walter may be in more plays than Jacoby b/c he's a better blocker and helps our run game more. You'd be surprised the # of big rushing plays we've had that are a direct result of Dre or Walter's downfield blocking. On top of that Walter just always finds a way to get open, he is sneaky fast and has sure hands.

Jacoby is a playmaker and is going to see plenty of looks, definitely more looks than last year. We've got to find a way to continue getting him more inolved in the offense. Could be a huge year for him, and if it is I think that will be a large reason why he re-signs with us. He could be a "starter" somewhere... but he'll be getting "starter" snaps and receptions here. His stats won't be diminished here plus he's got a mentor in Dre. Gotta get him more looks this season though! just my .02
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

If Jacoby has stepped his game up that much I'd hate to lose him. I'd rather us re-sign him to that nice contract and let Walter walk or resign him to a lesser contract after a few years. If Dorin can step up Dre, Jones, and Dickerson would be a pretty tough combo to handle.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #15
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If Jacoby has stepped his game up that much I'd hate to lose him. I'd rather us re-sign him to that nice contract and let Walter walk or resign him to a lesser contract after a few years. If Dorin can step up Dre, Jones, and Dickerson would be a pretty tough combo to handle.
I don't think the team could afford to lowball Jacoby, IF he performs as
we all expect. This regime, so far, has been consistent in resigning
their core contributors. Time for Jacoby to add his name to the ledger.
Old 09-03-2010   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
This is Jacoby's last year under contract. The team tried to trade him
last year to Washington during the preseason. Washington refused, and
we got the best year Jacoby has ever had. This offseason, the Texans
have a hell of a choice to make.
Where does this assertion of an attempt to trade come from?
Old 09-03-2010   #17
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Where does this assertion of an attempt to trade come from?
It was reported last year, after the preseason, on 610 by Mcclain.
If you remember, it was in the final preseason game, in which
Jacoby cemented a place on the team by the bomb he caught
from Grossman.
Old 09-03-2010   #18
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just ran across this....

On Jacoby Jones, Saban was wrong and Denzel was right

Quote:
"The last year that he had gone to one of his camps he gets this award or certificate that talks about his skills and techniques, but Nick Saban told him, 'You have great ability and you have great skills as an athlete, but you're too small. You will never play professional football,'" Emily Jones told FOX 26. "That stayed with Jacoby and made it a goal for him to be successful."

Later, when Jones played at Lane College, his team faced Morehouse College. John David Washington, the son of Denzel Washington, played for Morehouse. And Denzel was there for the game.

"At the end of the game Denzel Washington called Jacoby over to him and said, 'Son I expect to see you on Sunday,'" Emily Jones said. "When Jacoby came back over to me I said, 'Jacoby what did he want'? He said, he expects to see me on Sunday. I said, 'What does that mean'?

"He said, 'To play professional football.' I said, 'Son, are you that good'? He said, 'I guess so mom. I don't know. I just love to play football.'"
Link
Old 09-03-2010   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
It was reported last year, after the preseason, on 610 by Mcclain.
If you remember, it was in the final preseason game, in which
Jacoby cemented a place on the team by the bomb he caught
from Grossman.
If you say so.
Old 09-03-2010   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
We just re-signed Walter this offseason to a 5 year deal. He's not going anywhere.

Jacoby could be a risk if some team offers him a crazy contract because they're desperate for a WR. I'm hoping we can offer him a fair contract that pays him and he looks at the time he's been here and the mentoring from Dre and having his momma so close to come to the games and the icing on the cake. I don't want to put anything out there that's false, but with he and his mom so close, I'd be willing to be playing for Houston or New Orleans would be HUGE factors in his decision.

If we can get JJ extended, we've got Dre, Jacoby, Walter, DA, Dickerson, Daniels, Casey... sheesh that's some talent!!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read