Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-01-2010   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Scheming for Dallas

Ok so I'm hearing alot from my Cowboys friends at work that you could tell Dallas was playing very vanilla on both offense and defense and that we were really scheming more than they were. I told them that going 3 wide and doing play action is what we do. I did notice us going with different formations on defense though.

Then I look at the game again and Phil Simms mentions that Dallas is going very vanilla with not crossing any of the dlineman and no moving of wrs.

Do you think we may have showed our hand to Dallas and it will affect the next time we play them?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #2
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Scheming for Dallas

Hm... not really. I believe that our plays were for the benefit of us, to get some things tried out in a 'game-like' situation and see how players react. I'm assuming that we might have seen an indication of what is to come, but honestly I think we only saw, and showed, the top of the iceberg.

I'm not too worried, and if we should lose I'm absolutely sure it won't be because of what we showed out opponents in pre-season. After all, all they have to do is to look at what we do the first couple of weeks in the season.
Old 09-01-2010   #3
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

There's a difference between scheming for a team and playing vanilla.

Just because we were running stunts and blitzes doesn't mean that we were running the stunts and blitzes we feel would be most effective against Dallas' weaknesses (re: scheming).

The point of the preseason is to get a look at different packages, personnel, and wrinkles and to get those ironed out before the season starts. You can't really do that if you're playing vanilla. Obviously some teams, like the Cowboys or Richard Smith's defenses, are comfortable enough with their playbook that they'd rather not show anything on film. Others, OTOH, like to get a look at a variety of stuff in the preseason to make adjustments before the games that matter start.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #4
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans were being tricky little bastards and the boys just laid there and took it? Vanilla or not, at some point PRIDE has to work it's way in. I guess that point (or points, SEVEN of them) was after all the players that mattered exited the game. This is just ridiculous to me, how can you get SHUT THE **** OUT and then excuse it by saying "oh we weren't trying hard"? You take that domination Cowboy fan, you take it and you LOVE it. Except that this stinks to high heaven of Richard Smith Defense "Oops we just got our asses handed to us" Vanilla. One compadre told me they didn't have Dez Bryant and he'll set us on fire....sure. You send ol' Dezzy boy across the middle to meet Mr. Pollard, he's the welcome wagon.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Did New Orleans just scheme us or did we play like crap? Is it possible that the Cowboys just played like crap or are they just playing possum? Hmmm...
Old 09-01-2010   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Ok so I'm hearing alot from my Cowboys friends at work that you could tell Dallas was playing very vanilla on both offense and defense and that we were really scheming more than they were. I told them that going 3 wide and doing play action is what we do. I did notice us going with different formations on defense though.

Then I look at the game again and Phil Simms mentions that Dallas is going very vanilla with not crossing any of the dlineman and no moving of wrs.

Do you think we may have showed our hand to Dallas and it will affect the next time we play them?
Because when you can't do vanilla very well, it's a pretty good bet that making things more complicated will fix everything.
Old 09-01-2010   #7
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Because when you can't do vanilla very well, it's a pretty good bet that making things more complicated will fix everything.
I agree with your sarcasm.
Good execution with vanilla playcalling will have better results than poor execution and exotic playcalling. Cowboys didn't execute and getting tricky or exotic probably wouldn't have helped much.

I still can't believe people are picking them to win the SB.
Stemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2010   #8
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a preseason game which is now over, finished, ancient history ? Understand ? If impressing your Cowboy buddies at work is so important to you, you may really want to be a member of their group whether or not you realize it ? Otherwise forgetaboutit and start thinking about what is really important and relevant to the Texans - Peyton Manning/Indy Colts on 9/12.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a theory about this.

1. There's not much, outside of a very very "new" play that you've drawn up and practiced that nobody has seen yet, that you're going to do in the NFL that is going to make coordinators lose sleep at night.

2. Why not go out there, preseason or scrimmage or whatever, and just do what you're going to do and make the other team stop you from doing it?

3. We were not playing vanilla offense or defense against the Saints, IMO. We were just out of it and never really cared. I suspect Dallas was the same way, because Tony Romo looked mad and his sideline interview reflected that he was frustrated. Point blank: They didn't get up for the game, they walked into our house (like we walked into the Saints' house) and got their rears handed to them (like we got ours handed to us a week prior).

Dallas, with Romo at QB, is going to be mediocre. He's one of the most erratic QBs out there. Whe he's on, he's on. When he's off, he's way off. The fluctuation between being on and being off, with a guy like Schaub at QB, is a lot less severe than it is with Romo. IMO.
Old 09-01-2010   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Yeah. It's not that they were vanilla, they were getting blown off the ball. On the 2nd TD, they were getting drove toward the back of the end zone. Even if you're keeping it simple, that should NEVER happen. That is man on man beat down.
Old 09-01-2010   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Yeah. It's not that they were vanilla, they were getting blown off the ball. On the 2nd TD, they were getting drove toward the back of the end zone. Even if you're keeping it simple, that should NEVER happen. That is man on man beat down.
And this is the problem I have with Cowboys fans as a group.

They think because of their past, they never have to face the reality of the present.

There are some Cowboys fans that this doesn't apply to...but let me ask people this: "Do you think MOST Cowboys fans are legitimate fans who see the faults of their team, or are they the fans that know their owner is rich, will spend an enormous amount of money every year, do things bigger and better, and have had a history of winning titles?"

I think the majority of Cowboys fans live in a bubble. Texans fans don't because we have a history of blowing 35-3 leads with a Super Bowl bid on the line. We have a history, in terms of the Texans franchise, of being ragged on for passing on Reggie Bush (man oh man! how dumb are those Texans!) and for not having a good offensive line that killed David Carr's supposed chances of being a Pro Bowl QB.

The point is that they live in a bubble. Had they done to us what we did to them, they would have made fun of us and said "That's alright, Texans fans. You just saw how a real team does things," etc. Instead, on Monday it was "Yeah, but we weren't doing anything to tip our hand to you guys."

It's comical. And it makes the beatdown even better for this fan.
Old 09-01-2010   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post

Sounds to me like losers making excuses. Did they game plan for us? No. I seriously doubt we did for them either. What was so game planned about punching Dallas in the mouth as it relates to the running game?? Nada! We had certain plays that we wanted to run and vice versa.

Look, the third game of the preseason is the most important for everyone and while specific game planning for the other team may not be that prevelant, rest assured, there were certain things Dallas wanted to do and / or accomplish. Ask you Dallas friends if Romo pitching the ball when the RB was expecting a hand-off is part of that "vanilla" game plan...

I'm not going to talk trash because I fully expect a different Gurls team here in week 3. That said, Cryboy fan needs to quit making excuses and also just look forward to the game that will count in a few weeks...
Old 09-01-2010   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

The Cowboys may have been playing Vanilla but it's not like the Texans were playing Cookies and cream.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
The Cowboys may have been playing Vanilla but it's not like the Texans were playing Cookies and cream.
Nice.... Spot on too.
Old 09-01-2010   #15
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Fumbling snaps, dropping passes, and missing handoffs is not vanilla scheming, but poor play. Dallas' offense scored only 1 TD during the entire pre-season on an eight yard drive.
Old 09-01-2010   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

1. I could care less if we "showed our hand". If we lose to Dallas or many other teams because we "showed our hand", it just means we weren't that good to begin with and don't deserve to make the playoffs. Your a great team when the other team knows your going to run the ball and you run it and still make the 1st down. That's where we need to be.

2. Dallas played terribly - nothing vanilla about that. An offensive line doesn't "play vanilla" and let the Defensive Line blow through them and get to their pro bowl quarter back.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Sounds to me like losers making excuses. Did they game plan for us? No. I seriously doubt we did for them either.
I went to a couple of Dallas sites after the game to take a look at the comments and according to some of those fans (who were REALLY pissed off), Romo and Phillips said that they WERE going to game plan for this game prior to the game and then flip flopped and said they didn't AFTER the game.

Most teams treat the 3rd preseason game as a dress rehearsal for the season. They install some special things for the team they're playing and check a little film. I don't know if Dallas did that or not but in the Cowboy game, we did the same things we've been doing all pre-season.

If they had watched any of our games, they would have known what to expect.

Dallas just came out flat and couldn't get it together. That's not the team we're going to face the 3rd week of the season. Probably.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #18
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
1. I could care less if we "showed our hand". If we lose to Dallas or many other teams because we "showed our hand", it just means we weren't that good to begin with and don't deserve to make the playoffs. Your a great team when the other team knows your going to run the ball and you run it and still make the 1st down. That's where we need to be.

2. Dallas played terribly - nothing vanilla about that. An offensive line doesn't "play vanilla" and let the Defensive Line blow through them and get to their pro bowl quarter back.
I've got to rep you based on those two sentences alone.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I went to a couple of Dallas sites after the game to take a look at the comments and according to some of those fans (who were REALLY pissed off), Romo and Phillips said that they WERE going to game plan for this game prior to the game and then flip flopped and said they didn't AFTER the game.
There's a surprise! Damage control!! Calling damage control!!!

Quote:
Most teams treat the 3rd preseason game as a dress rehearsal for the season. They install some special things for the team they're playing and check a little film. I don't know if Dallas did that or not but in the Cowboy game, we did the same things we've been doing all pre-season.

If they had watched any of our games, they would have known what to expect.
Exactly. Whether you specifically game plan for a team doesn't matter. The third preseason game is meant for you to come out sharp and at least execute (God, I feel dirty in Dom Capers sorta way) your plays, irrespective of what the defense is trying to do against you. Fumbling balls away or making bad pitches, what have you is completely irrelevant to "game planning" a team.

Quote:
Dallas just came out flat and couldn't get it together. That's not the team we're going to face the 3rd week of the season. Probably.
Who knows? Maybe that is the Cowboys this season. Again, the 3rd preseason game is when you should be your sharpest. If they were that lost last Saturday night, who's to say that they will be much better in week 3... (although I have a hunch they will be a lot better come week 3).
Old 09-01-2010   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
And this is the problem I have with Cowboys fans as a group.

They think because of their past, they never have to face the reality of the present.

There are some Cowboys fans that this doesn't apply to...but let me ask people this: "Do you think MOST Cowboys fans are legitimate fans who see the faults of their team, or are they the fans that know their owner is rich, will spend an enormous amount of money every year, do things bigger and better, and have had a history of winning titles?"

I think the majority of Cowboys fans live in a bubble. Texans fans don't because we have a history of blowing 35-3 leads with a Super Bowl bid on the line. We have a history, in terms of the Texans franchise, of being ragged on for passing on Reggie Bush (man oh man! how dumb are those Texans!) and for not having a good offensive line that killed David Carr's supposed chances of being a Pro Bowl QB.

The point is that they live in a bubble. Had they done to us what we did to them, they would have made fun of us and said "That's alright, Texans fans. You just saw how a real team does things," etc. Instead, on Monday it was "Yeah, but we weren't doing anything to tip our hand to you guys."

It's comical. And it makes the beatdown even better for this fan.
You cant hear it, but I'm giving you a slow clap.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read