Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2005   #21
Texans32
Rookie

not unless we find a good replacement 4 him
Texans32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #22
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman_j
Why does Steve make so much money. According to Houstonprofootball, he is slated to count 4 mill in 05 and 4.6 mil in 06. Will he be a salary cap casualty next year?
Because we over-paid him in free agency our first offseason, and no I don't think he'll be a cap casualty next year...
Old 03-25-2005   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The short answer is that when you sign FA's for an expansion team the better prospects want to play for a team that has a shot at the Super Bowl. Most FA's can't assume anything past the contract they sign (every contract can be your last one in the NFL). Expansion teams rarely win more games than they lose so you are left with paying a lot of money to second level players. I think we can see this in Wong, McKinney, Wade and to some extent perhaps Greenwood. Since you can't manufacture a player like in Madden, whatchugonnado? You limit your FA signings and draft well until you can start attracting players because you are a Super Bowl contender, not just because you have cap room and nobody to beat out for a job.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #24
LBblitz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fball
is he really that bad as everyone says?

Does a bear **** in the woods?

vtech9 was right because many of the sacks were an effect from mckinney but were credited to other linemen. IMO Wand would/will do drastically better if we had a better C.
LBblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005   #25
done88
Veteran

Mckinney should be playing guard. That is what he played in Indy and that is what he should play here. He does a pretty good job at center but, what would be better is to move Pitts back to Tackle, Mckinney to Guard and Washington to Center. That is the best line the Texans have.
Old 03-26-2005   #26
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well i must say i believe the best thing for casserly to do is draft a center in either the 2nd or 3rd round...preferably spencer or wilkerson...give them a year or two to develop by then mckinny's huge contract will be up and we won't have to re-sign him unless he comes back for half the pay to be a back up...i still have my doubts about wand...but weigert is another guy i think we could look to replace...although he is very solid guard (when healthy which isn't too often anymore) he is getting up there in age believe he will be 33 or so this year...just having better depth behind him could help us out...Weary and Brown seem to be major dissapointments...weary was a first day draft pick who has yet to live up to his potential and brown we draft in the supplemental draft who never took over any starting job...if spencer isn't there in the second but Baas is i would be shocked if we weren't selecting him...Baas is the best guard in the draft maybe the best lineman in the draft and could fill in at Center and guard giving us a much needed improved depth on the o-line
Old 03-26-2005   #27
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
The short answer is that when you sign FA's for an expansion team the better prospects want to play for a team that has a shot at the Super Bowl. Most FA's can't assume anything past the contract they sign (every contract can be your last one in the NFL). Expansion teams rarely win more games than they lose so you are left with paying a lot of money to second level players. I think we can see this in Wong, McKinney, Wade and to some extent perhaps Greenwood. Since you can't manufacture a player like in Madden, whatchugonnado? You limit your FA signings and draft well until you can start attracting players because you are a Super Bowl contender, not just because you have cap room and nobody to beat out for a job.
Very well said Vinny.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2005   #28
Texansbacker
Veteran

McKinney will improve along with Wand and Pitts, Wiegert and Wade; but he will never be a dominant force in the middle able to go one on with a Henderson. Perhaps, and it would be nice, for CC and Mr. McNair to pick up a young strong center in the draft, say Chris Spencer, to push for a starting job and providing valuable depth while looking to the future. The draft will be interesting since we have o-line and d-line needs and who will be selected.
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #29
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Hes ranked like 10 pts over every other Texans linemen in ESPN NFL 2k5 why is he so bad?
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #30
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

oh yeah and in NFL 2k5 the texans were ranked pretty far above the chargers, give me a break.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #31
Texansbacker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNeedRBin05
Hes ranked like 10 pts over every other Texans linemen in ESPN NFL 2k5 why is he so bad?
Besides the fact that he is an Aggie? Just kidding. :woot
Old 03-28-2005   #32
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

I mean indiviually does he do a bad job blocking or is he just eating space and yall are pissed at him?
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005   #33
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

He doesn't do a good job of blocking the bigger DTs, and he gets pushed back when pass blocking. He also doesn't do a good job of helping Weigert or Pitts when they need help.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005   #34
Texansbacker
Veteran

McKinney has been serviceable and durable if nothing else. Hopefully, he will prove worthy of his high sticker price with some new blood pushing for his position or at the least we will fill the center postion with potential, again hopefully.
Old 03-28-2005   #35
cadahnic
All Pro

McKinney is a soldier on that offensive line. If we had someone else who could play center we could move McKinney to right guard and our line just got alot better. Wiegert is bad and he quite slow footed. Wade is serviceable, Wand jury is not out on, Pitts battles but cant keep the play count. I mean we could have a good line we just have people playing were they should not be. Hopefully we get a good C in the draft in rounds 2 or 3. Hopefully in round 3 since we should go D first round and then go after Reggie Brown in the second.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005   #36
fball
Rookie

Hey guy's I hear that people are saying that the texans might draft alex barron if he is available, I would be ok with that, my question is for anyone here that has scouted this guy, is he more like a orlando pace or more like a bryant mckinney, because if he has the potential to be like orlando then I say we draft this guy with 13, but anything less I don't know if I would take the chance.
fball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #37
sulli60
Rookie

The only dominating O-Line performance I have ever seen from the Texans was Weigart playing in Indy 2003 season. It was a beautiful running game duel between Edge and DD and Weigart was getting to the secondary. In 2004 I was expecting more, but very disappointed so I'm wishing Weigart can stay healthy and play 16 games like he did that day.
sulli60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #38
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

When healthy I grade them as
Wade - average pass blocker and good run blocker
Wiegert - average to poor pass blocker and average to good run blocker
McKinney - average to poor pass blocker and average to poor run blocker

It is hard to gauge Wand or Pitts since last year was their first in their respective positions. I'll give them another season before judging their level of abilities
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #39
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
McKinney is a soldier on that offensive line. If we had someone else who could play center we could move McKinney to right guard and our line just got alot better.
McKinney is best suited for center. If he is subpar at center he will be even worse at guard. Sure, he played guard for the Colts. But Manning and James had a lot to do with that line looking good. The Texans want a more powerful line and McKinney is just too much of a finesse player.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005   #40
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

He's a decent center. He does get beat a lot... but so does the rest of the line. What I do know is this: I waited on him at Perry's a little before the start of last season. It was him and his girlfriend.. some flakey lookin blonde bimbo type.. not nearly the looker i'd expect from an NFL player. But saying that, on a $100 bill.. he tiped me $8.50!!!! Guess those millions of dollars dont go as far as they used to.
HardKnockTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read