Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-30-2010   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Red zone?

Why aren't we talking about our Red Zone percentage in this last game? We were in there 4 times and only came out with one TD (that was the one where KJ returned his INT). That game could've easily been 28-0 at halftime.

If we want to beat Indy we gotta get better at this. Indy is going to score points. We gotta score more. I've noticed the teams that keep the pressure on Manning (not sack pressure, pressure to score) typically are the teams that beat them. We can't do that settling for FGs when we have the ball at the 5 yd line.

I wish I could see that killer instinct.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #2
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Red zone?

Holding penalty cost us 1 TD. A couple 3rd and longs in other situations if I remember correctly??

I think as long as we continue to run the ball, and stay away from reverses or half back passes this area should improve despite the percentages from Sat night.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Why aren't we talking about our Red Zone percentage in this last game? We were in there 4 times and only came out with one TD (that was the one where KJ returned his INT). That game could've easily been 28-0 at halftime.

If we want to beat Indy we gotta get better at this. Indy is going to score points. We gotta score more. I've noticed the teams that keep the pressure on Manning (not sack pressure, pressure to score) typically are the teams that beat them. We can't do that settling for FGs when we have the ball at the 5 yd line.

I wish I could see that killer instinct.
I'm not sure its killer instinct as much as lack of red zone talent. other than Schaub to Andre everyone else seem like a group of overachievers, IMO. If you don't think so what is the next highest drafted starting offensive playmaker on the Texans?
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

We got lucky on the TD too because of that defensive penalty when Ware hit Schaub from behind.

I don't want the same thing as last year. We got to score a TD more than kick FGs.
Old 08-30-2010   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I'm not sure its killer instinct as much as lack of red zone talent. other than Schaub to Andre everyone else seem like a group of overachievers, IMO. If you don't think so what is the next highest drafted starting offensive playmaker on the Texans?
Owen Daniels. He wasn't playing but I'm curious how much more he helps. Although he was in the Jville and Az game last year too.
Old 08-30-2010   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Owen Daniels. He wasn't playing but I'm curious how much more he helps. Although he was in the Jville and Az game last year too.
TEs will play a huge role in Red Zone imo during regular season.
Old 08-30-2010   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
TEs will play a huge role in Red Zone imo during regular season.
Honestly if Daniels wants to be mentioned in the Gates or Witten light, this is where he will have to become a star.
Sponsored links
Old 08-30-2010   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I really think that this past games failed red zone attempts were due to lack of execution...Schaub missed on a few passes...Myers had the holding penalty...

I think we have the players to get it done but we just need better execution and more creative play calling down there.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #9
sportfan73
Rookie

Rep Power: 136 sportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respected

we still fail to ever throw the ball into the endzone, it's just a series of short crossing routes and WR screens, need to add something different to the arsenal
sportfan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #10
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jacoby Jones was a third rounder, as was Slaton (I dont know if you could count him as a weapon right now. But the talent is there).
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Jacoby Jones was a third rounder, as was Slaton (I dont know if you could count him as a weapon right now. But the talent is there).
Gotta mention Duane Brown, Eric Winston, and Antoine Caldwell.

And while Walter wasn't drafted high, he has clearly played up to the level of atleast a fourth rd. draft pick.
Old 08-30-2010   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

I'd like to see James Casey get involved in some goal line packages too...

Despite what people have said about Dre always needing to be on the field, I would not mind seeing us use 3 TE's down there...Casey, Dreesen, Daniels with leach as the FB and either Slaton or Foster as the RB and Leach at fullback.

That'd make it tough for defenses because all of those TE's are good receiving targets, but we'd still be able to come out and pound the defense.

We have some capable RZ weapons, I just think we need to get more creative (not stupid ala the half back pass) in how we use them.
Old 08-30-2010   #13
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This could be one area where if the playcalling is significantly different than past seasons, they may just be keeping their powder dry and saving it for a real game.

That said, if the main difference Dennison brings to the RZ offense is the concept of running it down their throat, then they're closer, but they're not there so far.
Old 08-30-2010   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I think in the regular season, there's going to be less passing and more running in the red zone (at least, once we get inside the 10). And I think that's going to improve our RZ%.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #15
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans are trying to hide the fact, we're gonna get a
heavy dose of Arian Foster in the RedZone. He looks like the
second-coming of Terrell Davis, when it comes to his vision.
Old 08-30-2010   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Oh how great that would be!!!
Old 08-30-2010   #17
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Umm all teams have problems in the red zone plus we will be better off

with OD coming back wade smith getting better and other oline depth along with Garrett getting better with the two tight end sets hell maybe 3 and a stable Run game i think we will be fine u wanna get better in the red zone its obvs Run the ball better and we are doing that

and didnt we score more points then the colts last week yeah nuff said and the colts still cant get the running game going they hate the new Ref rule and we seen what is OBVS Blitz manning every down with all your arsenal and stuff might happen LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Umm all teams have problems in the red zone plus we will be better off

with OD coming back wade smith getting better and other oline depth along with Garrett getting better with the two tight end sets hell maybe 3 and a stable Run game i think we will be fine u wanna get better in the red zone its obvs Run the ball better and we are doing that

and didnt we score more points then the colts last week yeah nuff said and the colts still cant get the running game going they hate the new Ref rule and we seen what is OBVS Blitz manning every down with all your arsenal and stuff might happen LOL
If there was one team that doesn't show what they really can do, it would be Indy. Peyton is an OC on the field while playing QB. He knows that offense so well.
Old 08-30-2010   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
here is some evidence to support your theory http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog...fantasy-265848 I just want to see it over the course of regular season/playoffs
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #20
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If there was one team that doesn't show what they really can do, it would be Indy. Peyton is an OC on the field while playing QB. He knows that offense so well.
still has no running game iam telling u the texans are not going to respect the colts run game wk 1 with addai getting a concussion and being banged up along with the colts O line injuries we will be in a Nickle D all day long

along with prob doubling Clark and Wayne and BLitzing Manning if the colts are going to win week 1 its going to be all peyton so yeah i thinks thats going to be our gameplan nothing has changed LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read