Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What will media headline be if Texans win week 1?
Super Bowl hangover kills Colts. 12 19.67%
Colts have let down to open year. 7 11.48%
Texans with a lucky win. 10 16.39%
What's wrong with the Colts? 32 52.46%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2010   #1
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 59111 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Potential media excuses Texans beats Colts week 1

You know, I was thinking the other day about the week 1 matchup against the Colts and how awesome it would be to win that game.

That train of throught then brought me to ESPN (as I was watching it at lunch at the time while thinking of this) and how they would spin the game.

I can alomst guarantee the headline will be how the Colts lost as opposed to how the Texans won the game. I know that a lot of other Houston fans notice the diss our city always gets.....even when we win Championships ala SI saying eff you to the Rockets championships and not putting them on the cover nationally. Also, I know other people have had to notice that when ESPN shows almost any kind of football highlights, even just background highlights of some team while the focus is actually the people on set talking, it always seems to be a clip of the Texans getting burned.

Hell, I even saw some commercial for football Red Zone or something the yesterday it was showing different fans on couches cheering and stuff, I swear they had to have run through every team jersy that fans were wearing accept guess who......that's right (maybe the browns too). Ridiculous, and I'm not even trying to notice this stuff, but I do.

So anyway, I couldn't quite come up with what the media will use that will actually sound valid, especially if the Texans just dominate. Then it occured to me!

Headline: Super Bowl hangover causes Colts to lose opener.

So the dreaded Super Bowl loser curse will explain away this game and probably others for them this year too.

Just wanted to throw that out there and see what other headlines you guys think ESPN could use to again write the Texans off....this could be interesting....

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Potential media excuses Texans beats Colts week 1

I would also add that the league rule change of waiting for the refs to give a signal to hike has thrown Peyton off his rythm.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #3
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
You know, I was thinking the other day about the week 1 matchup against the Colts and how awesome it would be to win that game.

That train of throught then brought me to ESPN (as I was watching it at lunch at the time while thinking of this) and how they would spin the game.

I can alomst guarantee the headline will be how the Colts lost as opposed to how the Texans won the game. I know that a lot of other Houston fans notice the diss our city always gets.....even when we win Championships ala SI saying eff you to the Rockets championships and not putting them on the cover nationally. Also, I know other people have had to notice that when ESPN shows almost any kind of football highlights, even just background highlights of some team while the focus is actually the people on set talking, it always seems to be a clip of the Texans getting burned.

Hell, I even saw some commercial for football Red Zone or something the yesterday it was showing different fans on couches cheering and stuff, I swear they had to have run through every team jersy that fans were wearing accept guess who......that's right (maybe the browns too). Ridiculous, and I'm not even trying to notice this stuff, but I do.

So anyway, I couldn't quite come up with what the media will use that will actually sound valid, especially if the Texans just dominate. Then it occured to me!

Headline: Super Bowl hangover causes Colts to lose opener.

So the dreaded Super Bowl loser curse will explain away this game and probably others for them this year too.

Just wanted to throw that out there and see what other headlines you guys think ESPN could use to again write the Texans off....this could be interesting....

Theres actually someone wearing the #90 in that reel =P
Old 08-30-2010   #4
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

This season, I don't think media excuses really matter. The true question
is:

Will the Texans bring consistent effort EVERY game?

or

Will we continue to see the "Fired-Up-One-Game / Sleepwalking-The-Next"
team we're used to.

If they do the former, they have a shot at the playoffs, or even the
AFC Championship Game.

If they do the latter, with this schedule, Kubiak is gone.

I'm watching the first four games closely. Those games will show us
which Texans team we get in 2010.
Old 08-30-2010   #5
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Ya, did ya see the foxsports story on the ass whooping the Texans gave the cowpies? Nothing bout the Texans, just how poorly the cowpies played and how their starters may have to play the last preseason. BS.
Old 08-30-2010   #6
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 59111 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't had a chance to listen to Houston radio today online, and I know I won't get anything on the local Austin radio aside from Longhorn gargling and and Dallas apologizers, and I haven't caught too much ESPN yet today.....I'm guessing when talking about Saturdays game it's "What's wrong with Cowboys?" as opposed to "Will this play carry over for the Texans to break through?"

Just a wild, wild guess it's more apologizing for Dall-ass than praising Houston.

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
Old 08-30-2010   #7
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Ya, did ya see the foxsports story on the ass whooping the Texans gave the cowpies? Nothing bout the Texans, just how poorly the cowpies played and how their starters may have to play the last preseason. BS.
Didn't see that article or your post until I just posted my post...but that is what I thought....lmao!!!

Sponsored links
Old 08-30-2010   #8
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
This season, I don't think media excuses really matter. The true question
is:

Will the Texans bring consistent effort EVERY game?

or

Will we continue to see the "Fired-Up-One-Game / Sleepwalking-The-Next"
team we're used to.

If they do the former, they have a shot at the playoffs, or even the
AFC Championship Game.

If they do the latter, with this schedule, Kubiak is gone.

I'm watching the first four games closely. Those games will show us
which Texans team we get in 2010

Agreed!

Old 08-30-2010   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 226555 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

The Colts didn't gameplan for the Texans.
Old 08-30-2010   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

When we beat the Colts Sept 12th, I think the media is going to say, "about time!!"

We aren't the only ones waiting for the Texans to turn the corner, everyone knows we've had talent to be winners the last 2 years, and are disappointed it hasn't happened yet.

I think the big stories this year, will be abou the Texans growing up, and finally reaching the level Capers should have got us to.

It's probably going to make most of you sick, but the word is going to be we are finally not an expansion team anymore.
Old 08-30-2010   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

How about: Peyton struggles with new line of scrimmage rules
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #12
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78568 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
How about: Peyton struggles with new line of scrimmage rules
This I think. CND posted this in another thread. I found it interesting. : http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/ta...peyton-manning

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #13
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

So, I go home and eat lunch and watch ESPN and they do something I hadn't seen before called the "Rush" or something with Antonio Pierce and some ESPN female anchor. They start off with best performances from the weekend, Saints are on there, Spiller from BUF is on there and Favre, then they bring up the Texans (which I was shocked they even put us on there knowing them), but they quickly made up for having to be forced to play positive Texans highlights as the first words out of the female anchors mouth are something to the effect of how bad Dallas played and how they are banged up. They then make some basic remarks on the Texans play and ended the highlight, again, with a backhanded comment explaining why the Texans looked good was due to the Cowboys looking bad.

They then did a little segment called "Ready or Not" analyizing teams and whether or not they are ready for the season, they brought up the Cowboys and made sure to once again apologize for them and their loss to the Texans.

Man, I am so hoping we can shove it way, way, way, way up their collective ***** this season!!!!!

Old 08-30-2010   #14
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as we get a W I don't give a crap how it's spun.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I would also add that the league rule change of waiting for the refs to give a signal to hike has thrown Peyton off his rythm.
Was going to say the exact same thing!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #16
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
That is the most important thing obviously. But it still grates on me the spinning.

Old 08-30-2010   #17
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
This
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #18
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

I just saw this tweet from Eric Winston on Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback:

"Every ump I have talked to this offseason hates the new rule where they have them. All of them felt the way fb players do. Injuries are part''

"Of the position they ref at. One also told me that the comp comm changed the rule without consulting one ump. (Although I'm sure Perrera''

"Had a say) loved what Tirico said. Put a helmet on them if they are concerned. Don't change the way the game is played. Altho if it pisses''

"Manning off, I could learn to deal with it. LOL''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0y78b1azR

Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want to think about potential Colts excuses because (1) I don't care what they would say (2) we need to actually beat them first (3) Texans have had their fair share of excuses over the past years.

Excuses are like holitosis'...Some people have it and it's beyond their control..But it still stinks.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I just saw this tweet from Eric Winston on Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback:

"Every ump I have talked to this offseason hates the new rule where they have them. All of them felt the way fb players do. Injuries are part''

"Of the position they ref at. One also told me that the comp comm changed the rule without consulting one ump. (Although I'm sure Perrera''

"Had a say) loved what Tirico said. Put a helmet on them if they are concerned. Don't change the way the game is played. Altho if it pisses''

"Manning off, I could learn to deal with it. LOL''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0y78b1azR

Gotta love Eric!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read