Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2010   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Anyone Worried Quin Keeps on Chasing After Tail?

Quin got nailed several times for chasing Dallas jerseys' tails. The reason I ask is that the knock on him going into the draft was that he did not have great vision or speed, and had trouble recovering and catching up to his receivers. Has anyone specifically watched him through camp and preseason to say that this game was a total fluke, or a hint of things to come with wiley receivers.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #2
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anyone Worried Quin Keeps on Chasing After Tail?

anybody who saw Welker/Edelman working him in the last game of the season know..it ain't a fluke.. his speed is going to get him beat at times..hopefully we can counter with a pass rush. I've said all along i didn't think he was a starting cb in the league; just a very good nickel guy.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #3
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

McCain is a really good CB and when they cover nickel Quin is the nickel back. Speed isn't a problem for McCain or Jackson. I'm very comfortable with his play so far but I know the heat is about to get turned up. Still, if the notion of moving him back to Safety passed I would be all for it.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i rewatched the game again and didnt see quin do anything wrong when he got the 2 penalties for holding and PI. he got beat on the holding one but i didnt see him grab at all. they didnt even show a replay of it. i think he just had a rough night with the refs
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #5
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

just heard this morning on 610, they said kubes said Quinn & jackson both were missing their jams at the LOS..when you do that, you're beat from the snap of the ball. It makes sense actually, but they can't have that happen too much against the colts or manning will make them pay.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Romo to Austin is a pretty potent combination.

Our defense as a whole shut them down.

Quin may have gotten beat, but he was there when it counted.

No points is no points. Its a team game after all
Old 08-30-2010   #7
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31247 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
just heard this morning on 610, they said kubes said Quinn & jackson both were missing their jams at the LOS..when you do that, you're beat from the snap of the ball. It makes sense actually, but they can't have that happen too much against the colts or manning will make them pay.
I heard the same exact thing and was going to post it. You beat me to it, good job.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-30-2010   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Analysis
Positives: Adequate height and very solid overall build for a corner or free safety. ... Has the strength to jam on the line. ... Likes contact, will bring his hips and wrap up in the open field. ... Good awareness, reads screens, play action and misdirection. ... High-points the football and had good hands for the interception. ... Breaks up passes by jumping routes or fighting for the ball in the air. ... Returned 10 kickoffs for 323 yards as a senior and can be dangerous running back interceptions. ... Played through pain and returned quickly from groin surgery during junior season. ... Physical runner on returns -- goes straight upfield, is willing to take a hit and can bounce off to get additional yardage.

Negatives: Some teams will grade him as a safety and cornerback "tweener." ... Does not have great straight-line or recovery speed. ... Best when attacking the play in front of him. ... Will throw his shoulder to make a hit instead of wrapping up. ... Lacks great height and vertical leap to challenge tall NFL receivers. ... Inconsistent getting off receiver blocks on the edge. ... Lacks great quickness, vision or speed on returns.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.
Old 08-30-2010   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
i rewatched the game again and didnt see quin do anything wrong when he got the 2 penalties for holding and PI. he got beat on the holding one but i didnt see him grab at all. they didnt even show a replay of it. i think he just had a rough night with the refs
On the holding penalty on Austin, he definitely had his hands all over him beyond the 5 yards, the one on Roy, he flat out got beat, and I didn't see a penalty.

The thing I like about Glover, is that he is physical, and he has more consistently done something to stop the receiver from catching the ball than most our other corners. Knocking the ball down, or knocking the receiver down... I like it.

speed can be compensated for by being smart, and early recognition. I think he was just playing off a little rust.
Old 08-30-2010   #10
TimeKiller

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Romo to Austin is a pretty potent combination.

Our defense as a whole shut them down.

Quin may have gotten beat, but he was there when it counted.

No points is no points. Its a team game after all
To nitpick on this game is...well nitpicking. But to think Quin won't face anyone tougher than Romo/Williams/Austin? Recovery speed is a definite concern for him at CB but I like that if he sees his man getting past him and he knows the ball is coming, penalty is better than TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Analysis
Positives: Adequate height and very solid overall build for a corner or free safety. ... Has the strength to jam on the line. ... Likes contact, will bring his hips and wrap up in the open field. ... Good awareness, reads screens, play action and misdirection. ... High-points the football and had good hands for the interception. ... Breaks up passes by jumping routes or fighting for the ball in the air. ... Returned 10 kickoffs for 323 yards as a senior and can be dangerous running back interceptions. ... Played through pain and returned quickly from groin surgery during junior season. ... Physical runner on returns -- goes straight upfield, is willing to take a hit and can bounce off to get additional yardage.

Negatives: Some teams will grade him as a safety and cornerback "tweener." ... Does not have great straight-line or recovery speed. ... Best when attacking the play in front of him. ... Will throw his shoulder to make a hit instead of wrapping up. ... Lacks great height and vertical leap to challenge tall NFL receivers. ... Inconsistent getting off receiver blocks on the edge. ... Lacks great quickness, vision or speed on returns.

That picture is painted as a safety to me. I'm more than willing to see how this tandem works out but Wilson is Wilson, at this point maybe I should call him "Mister" Wilson. I certainly believe Quin would be an above average safety, which would give the Texans, for once, an above average pair of safeties.
Old 08-30-2010   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm more inclined to see what Nolan can do as a starting safety than Quinn.

If Quinn can become more savvy then I think he'll be fine as a #2 corner. Lets not forget that he is not being asked to be the #1...Jackson is.

There have been other corners that have lacked great physical skills but have overcome it with work ethic. Who knows if Quinn is one of those players, but I don't think he's going to kill us this year.

Against teams like the Colts it seems as if he'll mostly be lined up in the slot though because they use three wideouts so often.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #12
TimeKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm more inclined to see what Nolan can do as a starting safety than Quinn.
Do explain.
Old 08-30-2010   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Do explain.
I don't know what there is to explain, but I'll give it a whack:

He's played the position a lot more and has made good/great plays almost every time I've seen him play the position.

There wouldn't be any need for him to adjust, as that is what he has played all along.

Shows really good instincts.

Makes good plays on the ball, and has shown that he has the ability to be a good tackler.

Has also shown the ability to be an enforcer and knock the crap out of receivers when they try to make a catch.

I've never seen Quinn play FS on this level (nor in college for that matter) so why would I want to see him as a starting FS over someone that has shown flashes of being good/potentially really good in both college and the pro's?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Analysis

Exactly and I posted this right after he was drafted that he was rated as 7th best free safety in nation with 4.50 speed which is good for FS and ok for CB.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...xpos&order=ASC

His over all skills as a CB are actually quite good but I think he be best at FS. My problem with Quin, Jackson and Sherrick is what was identified on radio today ( I heard it on 790) as jamming but not releasing cleaning and swiveling to run with WR. This is exactly what I've been talking about since we drafted Jackson. He has looked much better than I anticipated but Quin has not progressed as much as I hoped. Techniques can be taught to reduce this weakness but it is going to be exploited quickly.

Another issue with our CBs when not jamming but playing back off WRs in anticipated passing downs. CBs are giving up about 5-8 yards and when play begins immediately go into backpedal. I forsee a QB taking advantage of that in reguilar season having the WR push hard as if going deep then coming back for the ball. SHould be good for 15- 20 yards.
Overall, it was a much better game. Interested in which team shows up this week.....
Old 08-30-2010   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
To nitpick on this game is...well nitpicking. But to think Quin won't face anyone tougher than Romo/Williams/Austin? Recovery speed is a definite concern for him at CB but I like that if he sees his man getting past him and he knows the ball is coming, penalty is better than TD.

That picture is painted as a safety to me. I'm more than willing to see how this tandem works out but Wilson is Wilson, at this point maybe I should call him "Mister" Wilson. I certainly believe Quin would be an above average safety, which would give the Texans, for once, an above average pair of safeties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Exactly and I posted this right after he was drafted that he was rated as 7th best free safety in nation with 4.50 speed which is good for FS and ok for CB.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...xpos&order=ASC

His over all skills as a CB are actually quite good but I think he be best at FS. My problem with Quin, Jackson and Sherrick is what was identified on radio today ( I heard it on 790) as jamming but not releasing cleaning and swiveling to run with WR. This is exactly what I've been talking about since we drafted Jackson. He has looked much better than I anticipated but Quin has not progressed as much as I hoped. Techniques can be taught to reduce this weakness but it is going to be exploited quickly.

Another issue with our CBs when not jamming but playing back off WRs in anticipated passing downs. CBs are giving up about 5-8 yards and when play begins immediately go into backpedal. I forsee a QB taking advantage of that in reguilar season having the WR push hard as if going deep then coming back for the ball. SHould be good for 15- 20 yards.
Overall, it was a much better game. Interested in which team shows up this week.....
Maybe, Safety > CB. Exactly what I've been thinking. Instead of wasting time chasing tail, he would probably be more productive waiting for head [no double entendre implied].
Old 08-30-2010   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142041 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe, Safety > CB. Exactly what I've been thinking. Instead of wasting time chasing tail, he would probably be more productive waiting for head [no double entendre implied].
When Quin was drafted, LZ immediately annointed him our FS.

Hasn't worked out that way.

I just wish Brice McCain was taller.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #17
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's a really long wait for some!
Old 08-30-2010   #18
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
That's a really long wait for some!
Not only that, but I cant stop giggling when I read the title of the thread
Old 08-30-2010   #19
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

If our opponents WR's have time to run deep outs all day long we have more problems than that. Bump and run coverage is almost a thing of the past due to the fact that most receivers today are the size of TE's and getting bigger. Speed is only one factor in playing good coverage.

stance, footwork, position, strength, balance, all of that comes into play for a good CB.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #20
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Quin got nailed several times for chasing Dallas jerseys' tails. The reason I ask is that the knock on him going into the draft was that he did not have great vision or speed, and had trouble recovering and catching up to his receivers. Has anyone specifically watched him through camp and preseason to say that this game was a total fluke, or a hint of things to come with wiley receivers.
I was at the game and didn't see all the PI calls, were they legit cause I surely didn't seem them unless they were early into the route.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read