Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: #2 Receiver
Kevin Walter 46 44.23%
Jacoby Jones 58 55.77%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2010   #1
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Final Verdict: Kevin Walter or Jacoby Jones?

Since i doubt we will see either one against Tampa this thursday, who do you think should be our #2 across from Dre? Kevin Walter might have better hands, arguably, but does not have the same big play ability that Jacoby brings. Jacoby's routes have been vastly improved and combined with AJ, would be an absolute nightmare for opposing defenses. Regardless of who the starter on paper is, i think we will see plenty of both of them during the season.

So who shall it be?
Old 08-29-2010   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Final Verdict: Kevin Walter or Jacoby Jones?

I think they're 2a and 2b. In different situations and different packages, they'll both be utilized as the #2.

It's a really nice situation to be in.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #3
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Since i doubt we will see either one against Tampa this thursday, who do you think should be our #2 across from Dre? Kevin Walter might have better hands, arguably, but does not have the same big play ability that Jacoby brings. Jacoby's routes have been vastly improved and combined with AJ, would be an absolute nightmare for opposing defenses. Regardless of who the starter on paper is, i think we will see plenty of both of them during the season.

So who shall it be?
I think they'll both get a lot of time on the field, and I wouldn't argue against either one as the #2 guy, but I think it will be Walter (at least early in the season) by virtue of his blocking, and his incumbency.

As I alluded to in my first sentence, I'm not sure the distinction as to who's the #2 guy and who's #3 will matter all that much this year.
Old 08-29-2010   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Walter will see more plays in the base offense (2 WR sets). But, Jones will receive an equal or greater amount of targets.
Old 08-29-2010   #5
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

I know that Walter has been the 2a in the past but I have been seeing alot about Jones lately. He seems to be showing what they have expected from him the last couple of years. Nothing against Walter he has been a solid 2a but I think that if Jones can get it toghther he can surpass Walter to be the
2a.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #6
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Final Verdict: Kevin Walter or Jacoby Jones?

Is Walter a slot receiver?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Is Walter a slot receiver?
Walter's not shifty, like a Wes Welker. He's a big WCO type who can postion himself on slants and curls. But, he's sneaky fast enough to get behind press coverage that's too aggressive. I like Walter, and I'm glad the Texans re-signed him. He just doesn't have the big play, YAC ability that Jacoby has.
Old 08-29-2010   #8
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

let them split time again. JJ will get enough touches between that, 3 wr sets & pr's and we wont be exposed to his horrendous run blocking as often as if he played all 2 wr sets
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #9
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think Walter will see more plays in the base offense (2 WR sets). But, Jones will receive an equal or greater amount of targets.
sums it up. walter a prototypical #2 but jj should excell in the slot. blocking has alot to do with walter being #2 as well.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #10
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I chose walter, but only because it looks like JJ is doing punts again
Brandon420tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #11
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Walter!! Doesn't give me an many heart palpatations as JJ!! Have to admit though that JJ is holding on to the ball a little better this year. He still makes me have that "oh sheeeeet" feeling!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #12
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a K-Dub guy, because he blocks, and is clutch. However JJ is coming up fast. I think we'll see JJ out on the field a lot more in place of DA this year.

If OD is healthy, putting him, AJ, and JJ on the field at the same time will make it tough on the opposing DB's for sure!!!!!!

JJ's contract is gonna be tough to get done the way it looks......
Old 08-29-2010   #13
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Walter-with JJ as a 2.1/b or what ever.
Walter blocks better so he'll be seeing more time.
But I'm sure if JJ keeps it up he'll be seeing more time on the field and will have the time to change my mind.
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I'm a K-Dub guy, because he blocks, and is clutch. However JJ is coming up fast. I think we'll see JJ out on the field a lot more in place of DA this year.

If OD is healthy, putting him, AJ, and JJ on the field at the same time will make it tough on the opposing DB's for sure!!!!!!

JJ's contract is gonna be tough to get done the way it looks......
IF Jacoby Jones balls this year and just plays outside his mind, then YES it will be a tough decision for the Texans management.

IF he goats it out there, and just makes too many drops and it gets to his head, then we will let him walk. IMO.

Dorin Dickerson will have had a year under his belt, and would likely be groomed for JJ's spot if we let him walk. Or we could go WR in first round if we stink it up this year and therefore get a mid-rounder in the 1st.

We have options, but I honestly think JJ is going to catch 80+, have at least 7 receiving TDs, 1 punt return TD, lots of big punt returns that get us down the field, and solidify himself as a starting WR here.

I was calling for this all last year. In all honesty, the guy was ready last year but Kubiak stayed with his pal Anderson too much. Watch David Anderson after he catches the ball: He is almost always tackled immediately afterward. JJ catches the ball and gets YAC consistently. You GOT to put that on the field. Would Anderson out-catch JJ? Yes. But the advantage is to JJ because of what he does with the passes he catches--He just gets downfield, in a hurry. He makes DBs look stoopid out there.
Old 08-29-2010   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Pretty much. I think that is the ideal situation.

Walter is the more complete receiver as far as blocking and being reliable.

Jacoby is the more explosive receiving target.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

We may unveil a number of plays with 3 and 4 wideouts and with a TE in there as an Hback (without Vonta) that can either block or act as a 5th receiver. The possibilities will certainly be numerous.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

JJ makes big plays. Walter makes some big plays, but he more frequently makes big plays happen for others. I'd take Walter over JJ in our current situation, given that JJ is going to see the field a lot. Personally, I think we'll be in 3WR a lot.
Old 08-29-2010   #18
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Personally, I think we'll be in 3WR a lot.
I agree about the 3 WR sets. It seems like we had a good deal of success running out of that formation as well during the preseason. Hopefully that continues during the regular season.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #19
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

K W is solid between the 20's moving the chains and making thoes clutch 3rd downs JJ is well a exciting player

he did drop 2 plays thrown his way tho in the dallas game we cant have that so KW is #2 me thinks
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #20
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think they're 2a and 2b. In different situations and different packages, they'll both be utilized as the #2.

It's a really nice situation to be in.
I'm with you on that...against the Titans it might be Walter and against the Colts it may be JJ. They would just matchup different against different teams IMO. I do think that JJ overall is the bigger threat since he is returning kicks.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read