Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2010   #1
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default KB potentially injured

During the postgame interview, as well as the info on Slaton, Kubiak also mentioned that Kris Brown got injured in this game. He said it was plantar fascitis. Not sure how much of an effect it can have on him but it is something to take note of.
Old 08-29-2010   #2
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: KB potentially injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
During the postgame interview, as well as the info on Slaton, Kubiak also mentioned that Kris Brown got injured in this game. He said it was plantar fascitis. Not sure how much of an effect it can have on him but it is something to take note of.
If this is true, Neil Rackers is our new kicker.

I understand plantar fasciitis to be a condition, not an injury. The plantar fascia is connective tissue between the heal and the sole of the foot. It becomes inflamed and makes it painful to bear weight on that foot. It usually requires surgery.

Texans fans should be familiar with this condition. Mario Williams played his entire rookie season with it.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Kicker competition over.....

If everything is equal, you got to take the guy who's healthy. This injury could actually be a blessing....makes that decision MUCH easier.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #4
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Kicker competition over.....

If everything is equal, you got to take the guy who's healthy. This injury could actually be a blessing....makes that decision MUCH easier.
Very true. I thought Rackers had the edge anyway, but this closes the case for Kubiak and an FO that can be loyal to a fault.

Kris Brown said last year that he couldn't figure out why his kicks were pulling left. Maybe tight fascia in your planted foot could be the reason.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #5
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

If they do go with Rackers, I hope KB gets a chance to retire rather than being cut. He deserves it after all these years with the team.
Old 08-29-2010   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 234554 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
If they do go with Rackers, I hope KB gets a chance to retire rather than being cut. He deserves it after all these years with the team.
No way he's going to retire.

If they don't IR him, he'll be kicking for somebody.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Why would he retire though? Unless he thinks this injury will prevent him from ever kicking again (at least at a high level) I would assume he would take time off to let the injury heal and sign with a team next year.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2010   #8
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 63845 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

KB injured, that sucks. I am not convinced Rackers is the answer. His leg power from 50+ is severely lacking....

You guys better be careful what you wish for because the first time Rackers comes up short on a 53 yarder, you're gonna wish you had Kris Brown back...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 224197 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather this be decieded on talent and not injury. I hate to see this.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 186361 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Very true. I thought Rackers had the edge anyway, but this closes the case for Kubiak and an FO that can be loyal to a fault.

Kris Brown said last year that he couldn't figure out why his kicks were pulling left. Maybe tight fascia in your planted foot could be the reason
Last year, Brown was battling this same plantar fasciitis problem.

Here is a simple explaination of what plantar fasciitis, how it's caused, and what it's implications are. In this explanation, Eli Manning is used as the example, but the need for repeated "planting" of the foot and "push off" is easily extrapolated to Brown's case.

And here are examples of its most common treatments.

Nine-five percent of cases can be treated without surgery. One of the other common treatments not mentioned in the video, is injection of corticosteroids into the plantar fascia to decrease its inflammation. These injections, though, can weaken the fascia and increase its chance of rupture, and hence require surgical repair.

If the condition still persists after six months of conservative treatment, a technique of extra-corporeal shock wave therapy has been found to have some surprisingly good results. This is the use of a high frequency shock wave (much like breaking up kidney stones with sonic shock lithotripsy) to stimulate healing.

If problems still continue for a prolonged period of time and are unresponsive to the above treatments, surgery may be needed to release (lengthen) the fascia. Return to play success following surgery has been reported anywhere from 70-90%.

The problem with this condition is that it is easily aggravated, and the most important part of the treatment requires that the player returns to activity as pain has been shown to resolve...........most players try to play or are made to play through their injury and end up re-injuring and reinflaming the fascia.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #11
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just proof that no one on this board reads what I write. KB has suffered from this since the 2008 season. He bought his own hyperbaric chamber to help with the healing. Not only that, he had a severe staph infection in his leg that required IV antibiotics. I saw him limp before the game started last night, and was wondering if this was still giving him problems. Most members of this board are to hell bent on crusifying him than trying to understand why he had a lousy season last year.

Understand something!! I am not a homer! If this is still a problem for Kris then he needs to be replaced. He would be the first one to tell you that!! I hope the Texans puts him on IR simply because I do NOT think Rackers is the final answer. Did anyone pay attention to his warmups at halftime?? If not, you should have. Give Rackers this year to PROVE what he can do and give Kris a year to heal. If this is long term for Kris, then please God, let him retire a Texan!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #12
Dwade
Veteran

Rep Power: 56 Dwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
KB injured, that sucks. I am not convinced Rackers is the answer. His leg power from 50+ is severely lacking....

You guys better be careful what you wish for because the first time Rackers comes up short on a 53 yarder, you're gonna wish you had Kris Brown back...
I don't expect kicks from 50+ to land each time, however I do expect 20-40 yarders every time, and Kris Brown missed a lot of those last year. I'll take the accurate kicker in Rackers over KB.

And if he's injured, that makes it that much easier.
Dwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 226555 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post

The first time he comes up short on a 53 yarder, I'm just going to assume that Kris Brown would have kicked it 60 yards outside the uprights.

I'll take accuracy over distance any day.
Old 08-29-2010   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Just proof that no one on this board reads what I write. KB has suffered from this since the 2008 season. He bought his own hyperbaric chamber to help with the healing. Not only that, he had a severe staph infection in his leg that required IV antibiotics. I saw him limp before the game started last night, and was wondering if this was still giving him problems. Most members of this board are to hell bent on crusifying him than trying to understand why he had a lousy season last year.

Understand something!! I am not a homer! If this is still a problem for Kris then he needs to be replaced. He would be the first one to tell you that!! I hope the Texans puts him on IR simply because I do NOT think Rackers is the final answer. Did anyone pay attention to his warmups at halftime?? If not, you should have. Give Rackers this year to PROVE what he can do and give Kris a year to heal. If this is long term for Kris, then please God, let him retire a Texan!!
This certainly isn't the first time I've heard of his PF woes but if you play, you're fair game for criticism. Being just injured enough to play but not do well is the Tracy McGrady way of life. I'm not saying KB is a wuss like Tmac, I mean did you see that tackle last night?! I'm just saying performance matters and if you need to sit to be healthy to give your VERY best performance, you do it for yourself and the team.

I think this pretty much puts a lock on Rackers being the kicker.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #15
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Hoping for an injury in or for another player to make the team is not the way to be. If the coaches do not know who the kicker should be without the other being injured then maybe they should go. If Kris is not right then it is serious and I hope the Texans do place him on IR and then let him decide the direction he'd like to go from there JMO.
Old 08-29-2010   #16
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i wonder if that is the extra "hitch in his giddy-up" that i've been criticizing for the past season and a half. any bets on if this began the back half of 2008? kris brown is excessively on his toes (which according to CND's link is a cause) during approach and has become increasingly "bouncy" for lack of a better term - almost skipping. as i've been saying, kris browns problems are entirely in his approach and plantar fasciitis certainly makes sense.

i cant say that rackers is any more aesthetically pleasing as the complete opposite. very squat with short steps and more of a roundhouse than i like, but he's got a much better base and plant, leading to better balance than brown - making it easier for him to be consistant if not all together accurate (not always inclusive), but also accounts for the difference in distance between the two.

i'm hoping rackers is our kicker, but i certainly dont want the decision to be made on injury. with brown's hometown and one of the nicest individuals to ever wear a uniform status, distance, and "athleticism" as evident by his tackles on special teams (a reminder given by potentially saving a touchdown with a great form tackle on the opening kickoff last night) ... i was hoping this to be an earned battle. i dont think we've seen a kick yet that was more than a couple inches off of dead center, the competition was certainly working.

well, bet's off as shetex confirms this began in 08.
Old 08-29-2010   #17
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 22430 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
This certainly isn't the first time I've heard of his PF woes but if you play, you're fair game for criticism. Being just injured enough to play but not do well is the Tracy McGrady way of life. I'm not saying KB is a wuss like Tmac, I mean did you see that tackle last night?! I'm just saying performance matters and if you need to sit to be healthy to give your VERY best performance, you do it for yourself and the team.

I think this pretty much puts a lock on Rackers being the kicker.
Agree 10000 percent. Well said.

Regardless of what was wrong with Kris Brown, all I know is whenever he is about to kick I get a knot in my stomach and hold my breath.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #18
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

If a player is put on IR, what does that do to a roster spot on the 53? This could be a blessing in disguise folks. They were pretty much tied in their preseason competition. I was just as aggrevated at Brown last year as the next guy, but he has a stronger leg than Rackers does, IMHO. If we IR him, can we use Rackers, get a feel for him while Kris heals up, and if Rackers ends up sucking, cut him and insert Brown? I'm not saying that Kris isn't hurt, but this is a good way to carry 2 kickers. How long do you have to be out if placed on IR?
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #19
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78568 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
If a player is put on IR, what does that do to a roster spot on the 53? This could be a blessing in disguise folks. They were pretty much tied in their preseason competition. I was just as aggrevated at Brown last year as the next guy, but he has a stronger leg than Rackers does, IMHO. If we IR him, can we use Rackers, get a feel for him while Kris heals up, and if Rackers ends up sucking, cut him and insert Brown? I'm not saying that Kris isn't hurt, but this is a good way to carry 2 kickers. How long do you have to be out if placed on IR?
Currently, all season.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 234554 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
IR does not count against the roster spot but if a player thinks they can play, they generally request an injury settlement and a release so they can find a team to hook up with and play for.

If we IR'd Kris, he'd probably request a settlement. There's definitely some team that would hire him, PF and all.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read