Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2010   #1
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Steve Slaton injured

I'm watching the replays on NFL Network and I just saw them do an update news thing from around the league. They said that Slaton suffered "turf toe" against the Cowboys and will not play next week. Anyone know how long it takes to heal from that? Any longer heal time being a RB?
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #2
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: Steve Slaton injured

Kubiak said they're going to try to get him ready for the opener, so apparently he doesn't think it will be too serious.
Old 08-29-2010   #3
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Kubiak said they're going to try to get him ready for the opener, so apparently he doesn't think it will be too serious.
Well that's good to know. Where did you hear it at? Was there a thread already posted somewhere that I missed? I did a quick scan of the front page before starting this one, but I could have missed it.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #4
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Turf toe sucks. I've seen it re-occur in a player all season long because it wasn't given enough time to heal. Based on what I've seen, I would estimate at least a full month for recovery.

Quote:
An injury to the plantar capsular ligamentous complex can result in acute and chronic pain, resulting in time lost from sports participation for a short- or long-term period.
Source
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #5
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
Well that's good to know. Where did you hear it at? Was there a thread already posted somewhere that I missed? I did a quick scan of the front page before starting this one, but I could have missed it.
Just heard it in the post-game interview on 610 on the drive back.

As far as the effect on RBs are concerned, it seems like it could be a significant factor. Let's just hope not.
Old 08-29-2010   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
I'm watching the replays on NFL Network and I just saw them do an update news thing from around the league. They said that Slaton suffered "turf toe" against the Cowboys and will not play next week. Anyone know how long it takes to heal from that? Any longer heal time being a RB?
Turf toe is a tricky injury...the only way to heal it is by rest and if it isn't treated right it can linger for a long time.

Basically put Slaton on a bike to keep him in shape and don't ask him to run or plant off that toe/foot for a couple of weeks. The injury happens when you plant your foot and then you're tackled and your toe bends backwards and you hyper extend the ligaments in that toe. Jimmy Clausen played through this injury last season, but it lingered on and bothered him all year. I've had it a couple of times and it's painful and very irritating and doesn't go away over night (takes a awhile to fully heal to where you can play pain free...and still, that toe will be very tender)
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Turf toe sucks. I've seen it re-occur in a player all season long because it wasn't given enough time to heal. Based on what I've seen, I would estimate at least a full month for recovery.

Source
Plus even if they get him on the field sooner he won't be himself. It looks to me like our running game is going to end up depending on a pair of undrafted free agents we signed last year (Foster & Johnson). Henry, I just don't think has what it takes to be an effective running back in the NFL

I swear every time he gets his hands on the ball we are treated to the quickest, hardest, most ferocious two yards I've ever seen. The man runs hard but he doesn't run smart and he doesn't seem to have any sense of where the hole should appear even though he's been here for a while now. I really want him to succeed and turn into something but I truly don't think he'll be much help.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2010   #8
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll add that this is an especially difficult injury for a runningback, since they have to launch off that toe. LT's first disappointing year with the Chargers (2008) was due to this. The team depended on him, so they didn't give him ample time to heal.
Old 08-29-2010   #9
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Plus even if they get him on the field sooner he won't be himself. It looks to me like our running game is going to end up depending on a pair of undrafted free agents we signed last year (Foster & Johnson). Henry, I just don't think has what it takes to be an effective running back in the NFL

I swear every time he gets his hands on the ball we are treated to the quickest, hardest, most ferocious two yards I've ever seen. The man runs hard but he doesn't run smart and he doesn't seem to have any sense of where the hole should appear even though he's been here for a while now. I really want him to succeed and turn into something but I truly don't think he'll be much help.
Perhaps as an every down runner, but he's still very good in the passing game on screens and such. I think a more limited role as a change of pace/3rd down back will suit him better.
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #10
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometexansfan View Post
Perhaps as an every down runner, but he's still very good in the passing game on screens and such. I think a more limited role as a change of pace/3rd down back will suit him better.
He better learn his blocking assignments then, especially for 3rd down blitzes.
Old 08-29-2010   #11
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 89488 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

It depends on how bad it is. If it is turf toe, I have a spur in my toe as a result of mine and am going to have to get surgery done (sometime in september) I've been in a boot for four months mainly because I've put off the surgery hoping it would heal on its own but the spur isn't going away. My doc said that the bone spur is fairly rare (I was running basically barefoot my foot vs a tree root when I did mine) and that me being barefoot and full force probably made mine worse than most cases. Either way, I took the boot off after a month thinking I was ok. I was not. The first time I went to run, it wasn't 10 steps and I was in pretty bad pain so I shut it down.

Lets hope stevie's isn't that bad.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody remember Jack Lambert, Deion Sanders, and Eddie George? They all were forced into retirement because of this "little" toe problem.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #13
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

What is "Turf Toe?"

Turf toe is a condition of pain at the base of the big toe, located at the ball of the foot. Turf toe is usually caused from either jamming the toe, or pushing off repeatedly when running or jumping. The most common complaint is pain at the base of the toe, but patients may also have symptoms of stiffness and swelling.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #14
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I figured there was a problem because Slatons absense from the game was pretty obvious after his one and only series.
IIRC DE/DT Gary Walker from the old xspantion days on the Texans roster was a player who struggled with this injury ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #15
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I figured there was a problem because Slatons absense from the game was pretty obvious after his one and only series.
IIRC DE/DT Gary Walker from the old xspantion days on the Texans roster was a player who struggled with this injury ?
You recollect correctly. Turf toe almost killed Walker's inaugural 2004 season.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #17
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Bad luck with our running backs so far. Foster has looked great so that's a plus but I don't know how well Johnson will be as the #2 back. I'm assuming the Texans will pick somebody up off waivers once cuts are made just to try and shore up the position a little bit.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

Here's what I said in my game review in another thread:

Quote:
2b. JEREMIAH JOHNSON and CHRIS HENRY:
Cut Chris Henry and bring in someone else. The guy is awful. Jeremiah Johnson is like a cross between Moats and Slaton. I was satisfied with his play, and I think he and Slaton can tote the rock if they have to. Chris Henry doesn't look like anything special to me. He consistently finds a way to hit a pile, pump his feet 1,000 times as if he's running the ropes drill, and get arm-tackled at the LOS. Hooray! LOL.
Old 08-29-2010   #19
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Ol' Stevie Wonder needs to put it back together soon. Bullfrog is pushing for his role and pushing hard. Don't know if Henry sticks, seems like they value his special teams and athleticism.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #20
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

He does not have turf toe per Kubiak's press conferense. It's a toe strain. Should be ready or the opener! Good news!

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read