Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-28-2010   #1
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Did we show the Cowboys too much?

That was definitely dominating but you could tell those were a lot of base defensive sets for the Cowboys. Did the Texans screw themselves a few weeks form now to look good in the preseason?
Old 08-28-2010   #2
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Did we show the Cowboys too much?

No, I don't think so. The Cowboys were out 5 starters, I'm more worried that we're going to come in to the regular season game saying they were pushovers in the preseason.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #3
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 29181 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
That was definitely dominating but you could tell those were a lot of base defensive sets for the Cowboys.
Remember when we kept telling ourselves, "We're just showing our base defense sets I bet!" when we were doing bad?
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #4
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember on one of the Romosacks that Mario stunted A gap and Quinn was already coming in on a blitz. That's certainly fairly exotic for our blitzes.
Old 08-28-2010   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I remember on one of the Romosacks that Mario stunted A gap and Quinn was already coming in on a blitz. That's certainly fairly exotic for our blitzes.
That was the first time I ever saw a stunt, that didn't look Keystone cops.

I don't think we showed them too much. Like Kubiak said, that's four weeks away.

Offensively, we add stuff every week.
Old 08-28-2010   #6
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like the exotic blitz packages. I hope we start bringing those during the regular season. I think that's what makes a defense feared in this league.
Old 08-28-2010   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Also, we didn't really see too much from either side of Dallas (Cowboys suck lololol). I'm not down on anything from this game. I'm only wondering aloud if the coaches were throwing everything we had at em.
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2010   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
No, I don't think so. The Cowboys were out 5 starters, I'm more worried that we're going to come in to the regular season game saying they were pushovers in the preseason.
This is a concern I have. The Texans can't stroll into work in week three expecting a pushover opponent because of this game and until they prove they've matured enough not to do that I'm afraid it might happen.

I really feel like the Cowboys were just miserable tonight and a lot of that was on them. They couldn't get out of their own way and kept making boneheaded mistakes that a focused, in sync team simply won't make. As a result we don't really know how we compare to them.

We did the same thing last week against New Orleans. We kept screwing the pooch and killing our own drives with boneheaded mistakes. We probably aren't that much better than the Cowboys or worse than the Saints. I don't want to sound negative after a win or anything. I'm not. I just think that a better game from our opponent would have told us more about our progress and helped us more in the long run.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #9
hradhak
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
We did the same thing last week against New Orleans. We kept screwing the pooch and killing our own drives with boneheaded mistakes. We probably aren't that much better than the Cowboys or worse than the Saints. I don't want to sound negative after a win or anything. I'm not. I just think that a better game from our opponent would have told us more about our progress and helped us more in the long run.
I couldn't agree more. Beating on a broken team doesn't help us out as much as playing a well-oiled machine. Next week's game probably won't see our starters, and then we start with Indy who's going to hit us with everything they have.
Old 08-28-2010   #10
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is a concern I have. The Texans can't stroll into work in week three expecting a pushover opponent because of this game and until they prove they've matured enough not to do that I'm afraid it might happen.

I really feel like the Cowboys were just miserable tonight and a lot of that was on them. They couldn't get out of their own way and kept making boneheaded mistakes that a focused, in sync team simply won't make. As a result we don't really know how we compare to them.

I agree. The whole, "we're tired and would like to see our families" schtick we heard from the Cowboys via the announcers was all too familiar from last week.

The Cowboys are better than they were tonight. The Texans are better than they were last week.

There's not much too be gleamed from this.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

not a bad post at all. very realistic & down to earth.

Just a couple of my opinions.

1) I don't think you can ever get a good gauge of where your team is at in the preseason. Coaches look at things differently than we do. Winning the game is not the most important thing, and that changes when the season starts.

2) It's better that we didn't play down to the level of our competition. We got to see what it looks like when we do what we are supposed to do. The coaches can bring this film up next week, and say, "See, this is what you're supposed to do. That is what it's supposed to look like."

3) The only thing I think we can, and should get out of preseason games, is how individuals play. I like how all our receivers are using their hands to pluck the ball out of the air. whoever our WR coach is, Kudos.
Old 08-28-2010   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

And Slaton is still playing with blinders. A staple of our offense, is that a receiver in motion (usually Walter) or a H-Back/Tight-end works across the LOS and cuts the backside end. We only did that once in this game, and Steve didn't see the huge backside cut that was there.
Old 08-29-2010   #13
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was definitely dominating but you could tell those were a lot of base defensive sets for the Cowboys. Did the Texans screw themselves a few weeks form now to look good in the preseason?
The Texans' playbook has hundreds of plays that can be called from a dozen different formations/looks. The Cowgirls saw maybe a few dozen out of thousands of possible plays.

Kubiak could order plays off the Denny's menu for a few weeks into the season and never call the same play twice, so I don't think there's anything to worry about on offense. On defense they were pretty vanilla last season anyway, so there's not a lot to show them in that regard.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #14
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Weirdest quotes from Wade Phillips:

Quote:
Defensively, it looked like they knew we weren't going to come after them at all on any of their three wide stuff, which we didn't, and they took advantage of that and then they had four wides and empty sets that we hadn't worked on and that’s my fault. We weren't really prepared for that and they did a good job of executing. We had base stuff and it’s hard to cover all that. Preparation wise, I didn't really do a good job there.

(on anticipating three and four wides) “No, I anticipated three wides. I didn't anticipate four wides and they had run it before, but we didn't go over it well with our guys and we had real matchup problem. We just played and the next time we'll have something else for them.”
Texans run three and four wide sets all the time. It's not terribly novel for them.

I'm guessing that the Texans see more pressure on those plays next time around, though generally, Schaub has had some success against teams that try to blitz him.

There is no excuse for the Cowboy running game to look like such garbage all preseason.

The sum up from Phillips for the next game:

Quote:
I thought (QB) Tony (Romo) started throwing the ball well. I think he hit thirteen out of eighteen. Of course one of them bounced off our guy and goes to theirs for an interception. We moved the ball and had the ball down there in scoring position and turned the ball over in the pitch and turned the ball over when a ball bounced off one guy to another. We can execute better, but I did see a glimpse of hope there. They've got a good football team. They're ready to play. All our players can see that after this ball game. We go on the road and we're going to have to be prepared to be able to run the ball better and stop the run better.
Pollard was a big part of that ball "bouncing off" of their guy. Made that catch a very difficult one to make.

I have to admit to taking great joy when the Cowboys couldn't score at the end of the half because they ran out of time. I had some awful Cowboy fans behind me and it sure did take the wind of their sails.
Old 08-29-2010   #15
gwallaia

Rep Power: 66021 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, we had some obnoxious Cowboy fans in our section making lots of noise before kick-off. They got more and more quiet as the game went on until finally they just shut-up.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think all this really does is erase the embarrassing Saints game. So, we have one good performance against an ailing Cardinals team in the preseason....and that's about it. You can't prove anything in the preseason anyway. Nice to see foster gaining confidence, though. If he and the O-line can actually carry that kind of performance into the real season, our offense will make the Colts fans jealous.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #17
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 97853 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

We showed more than the Cowboys did.

In years past the Cowboys would come in and push us around just because they were bigger faster and stronger, times have changed.
Old 08-29-2010   #18
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think the Texans tipped their hand too much. We will play a couple of real games before the rendezvous with the Cowboys, they will get their needed information from those games.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #19
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm pleased we played like we did last night (instead of the way we played last week in NOLA), but would remind everyone it's just a preseason game.
It's good to have our starters play the way they did, but winning or losing these preseason games, any preseaon games, is meaningless.
The only game vs the Cowboys that has any meaning or counts this year is the one we play next month.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #20
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

No, I don't think we showed them too much - that is what you say when you are looking for excuses for playing lousy. What better time to practice some of your stunts than pre-season?

Good teams beat you even when you know what they are going to do LOL. So I see this as a positive sign.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read